13 (59.1%)
Neither (late 70s domestic)
1 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 21

sportyaccordy

Civic Si vs Neon SRT-4.

Cayman S vs 911 Turbo.

E30 M3 vs Sierra RS Cosworth.

Both (E92 M3, 458 Italia, tuned FD RX-7), for whatever reasons (primarily financial) are just not an option.

What do you choose?

For daily driver duty, personally, a car with enough low end to get out of its way and good sounds + consistent pull at the top is enough for me if I can really place it within inches at the limit. There is nothing like a car that is a willing, eager and stable partner beyond 10/10ths, which I don't think a brute force kind of car can do without significant re-engineering.

Thoughts?

the Teuton

I think ideally, if the N54 twin turbo BMW I6 could be had in an E46 body, I'd rock something like that. That engine pulls from any RPM. It's addicting.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

2o6

hotrodalex

Both brute force (Camaro & El Camino) and precision (E46 BMW 328i) are present in my driveway. :praise:

SVT32V

A car lacking brute force cannot possess brute force without re-engineering.

I think it would be easier to make an make an LS1 camaro a precise cornering machine than make an Si fast.

Payman

Good example is the Viper GTS vs Porsche 996 Carrera 4 I drove back to back in April. The Viper eats the Porsche during acceleration, but the Porsche is a much better driver's car.

Cookie Monster

Precision for me, although I love brute force.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

SVT32V

Quote from: thecarnut on June 21, 2010, 02:33:36 PM
Precision for me, although I love brute force.

I would rather have a healthy dose of both, they are not mutually exclusive.

MrH

Quote from: SVT32V on June 21, 2010, 02:30:54 PM
A car lacking brute force cannot possess brute force without re-engineering.

I think it would be easier to make an make an LS1 camaro a precise cornering machine than make an Si fast.

I disagree 100%.  You can make any car faster.  You can't dramatically alter things like steering feel.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Onslaught

I have nothing against brute force. But I think it's clear I'm more a precision/feedback person.

Payman

Quote from: Onslaught on June 21, 2010, 04:04:54 PM
I have nothing against brute force. But I think it's clear I'm more a precision/feedback person.

Would a sleigh be brute force or precision/feedback?

Onslaught

Quote from: Rockraven on June 21, 2010, 04:23:06 PM
Would a sleigh be brute force or precision/feedback?
Well the pole was brute force. But the feedback and precision on the sleigh wasn't very good either. Even with it's lightweight.

BimmerM3

Quote from: MrH on June 21, 2010, 03:54:36 PM
I disagree 100%.  You can make any car faster.  You can't dramatically alter things like steering feel.

Yeah.

SVT666

Quote from: MrH on June 21, 2010, 03:54:36 PM
In order to give a FWD scalpel, like my SVT Focus, brute force, it will seriously hinder the steering in the form of torque steer.  You can improve steering feel with solid bushings.  I would rather take a car with brute force and some very good handling like the 2011 Mustang GT and continue to improve on the handling.  But if I had to chose....brute force.  It puts a smile on my face like nothing else.  Great handling does too though and I love my SVT Focus so much that I wanted to buy a second one and put it in storage until this one had run it's course....then I would have another one.  But if it's one or the other, I chose brute force.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Onslaught

Quote from: SVT666 on June 21, 2010, 04:55:45 PM
In order to give a FWD scalpel, like my SVT Focus, brute force, it will seriously hinder the steering in the form of torque steer. 
That is why you never give a FED brute force. Now brute force on a proper RWD scalpel is the way to go.

sportyaccordy

You can only enjoy brute force under ideal conditions. Precision + feedback can be enjoyed in maneuvers as rudimentary as turning through an intersection. I don't know if my preference for precision goes far enough to take a car like an RX-8, but I would probably go with something like a 128i over a '11 Mustang GT, for example.

Northlands

Precision. I love the occasional time to play in something with disgusting amounts of power, but daily prefer pinpoint direction and feedback.

I wonder if this is the psychology of those who love to be in control vs. those who want to lose control?

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Tave

I couldn't disagree more. I get no more enjoyment from making a routine left/right turn in a BMW than I do in a Dodge Ram. Power is something you can enjoy every time you put your foot on the gas pedal.

I like chuckable cars, and I like cars that respond to inputs well, but I don't think that's the same thing you guys are talking about.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Rich

I'll let you know in another 10,000 miles
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Onslaught

Quote from: Tave on June 21, 2010, 09:40:09 PM
I couldn't disagree more. I get no more enjoyment from making a routine left/right turn in a BMW than I do in a Dodge Ram. Power is something you can enjoy every time you put your foot on the gas pedal.

I like chuckable cars, and I like cars that respond to inputs well, but I don't think that's the same thing you guys are talking about.
I find that in any car I've been in long enough I become accustomed to the power. At first it seems so damn fast but after time it's just normal. So unless we're talking hypercar power it's just the same old thing to me after time. But great handling is great handling forever. And you need to drive some better cars on even better roads if you don't get enjoyment out of turning.

Minpin

?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

Tave

Quote from: Onslaught on June 21, 2010, 09:44:49 PM
I find that in any car I've been in long enough I become accustomed to the power. At first it seems so damn fast but after time it's just normal. So unless we're talking hypercar power it's just the same old thing to me after time. But great handling is great handling forever. And you need to drive some better cars on even better roads if you don't get enjoyment out of turning.

:wtf:

How 'bought you tone down the hyperbole 3 notches?

I get plenty of enjoyment out of taking my car out for drives on windy country roads.

I was speaking to this:

Quote from: Northlands on June 21, 2010, 09:19:20 PM
Precision. I love the occasional time to play in something with disgusting amounts of power, but daily prefer pinpoint direction and feedback.

Maybe you guys get to drive awesome roads to work every morning where you get to push the limits of a car's handling, but I don't. I drive a fairly straight shot with a couple slow turns and a few red lights. One ascending/descending S-curve is a lot of fun, but that's about it.

Like I said, I appreciate responsive handling as much as the next guy, but honestly, the difference between a car that handles decently and a car that handles well is pretty subtle in day-to-day driving. Power is always noticeable. There are a lot of cars that are responsive that aren't a precise as an Elise or a Miata.

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

What?

I'm the only person that chose brute force???   

Figures...

Onslaught

Quote from: Tave on June 21, 2010, 09:55:37 PM

I get plenty of enjoyment out of taking my car out for drives on windy country roads.

I was speaking to this:

Maybe you guys get to drive awesome roads to work every morning where you get to push the limits of a car's handling, but I don't. I drive a fairly straight shot with a couple slow turns and a few red lights. One ascending/descending S-curve is a lot of fun, but that's about it.

Like I said, I appreciate responsive handling as much as the next guy, but honestly, the difference between a car that handles decently and a car that handles well is pretty subtle in day-to-day driving. Power is always noticeable. There are a lot of cars that are responsive that aren't a precise as an Elise or a Miata.

Well I wasn't really busting your balls. But you did say that making a routine turn in a BMW is no better than a Ram. And I've been in both and it's not even close. Not even a routine, every day turn.
And power can be as irrelevant as handling in "normal" driving. You can't use that power in traffic and if you use it on the open road then you can get in trouble with the law rather fast.

I actually think a balance of both is the best. But that wasn't an option.

Northlands

Quote from: Tave on June 21, 2010, 09:55:37 PM

I was speaking to this:

Well I do have an entertaining route. That being said, I've had some cars with some relatively dead steering feel to them that weren't power mongers. I just grew to appreciate vehicles with feedback over time compared to those without it. I still love me some 300 +hp lead sleds though. Just not as much for everyday use.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Laconian

Precision and feedback. I agree with Onslaught. Power is fun but it foments illegal situations all too quickly.

I think the NC Miata gets the balance just about right.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CALL_911

Man, I want both.

I love brute force, but precision and feedback are nice too. I think I'll take precision and feedback.

But I'd find a way to throw in brute force.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 565 on June 21, 2010, 09:55:46 PM
What?

I'm the only person that chose brute force???   

Figures...
I'm with you. Having owned both types of cars (3 Pony cars and a MR2) I will take Brute Force any day of the week.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide