Pulled over today

Started by ifcar, July 03, 2010, 05:53:38 PM

ifcar

I've never had a ticket, and the only time I'd been pulled over before was when a car salesman in the passenger seat directed a Scion xD down a road that was apparently off-limits to test drives. (He got a $100 ticket for it.) Today, for my second traffic stop, same deal: the cop interrupted a Buick Regal test drive not because of anything I was doing; in this case, he didn't like that the dealer tag was just sitting on the cargo shelf rather than affixed to the car.

As we pulled away after the salesman had screwed the plate on on the side of the road, he remarked that he'd sold that very cop a car just last week. I guess he didn't like it.

Nothing more exciting. Sorry.

dazzleman

If you're going to get pulled over, you should at least let it be for something that you do. :lol:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

ifcar

Quote from: dazzleman on July 03, 2010, 06:03:17 PM
If you're going to get pulled over, you should at least let it be for something that you do. :lol:

That's the rule for a ticket, not for a stop. ;)

dazzleman

So you were doing a test drive in a dealer's car both times you were pulled over?

Do I understand it correctly that the salesman, who was a passenger in the car with you, got a ticket that time?  That's the first time I've ever heard of a passenger getting a ticket for something done by a driver.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

ifcar

Quote from: dazzleman on July 03, 2010, 06:10:30 PM
So you were doing a test drive in a dealer's car both times you were pulled over?

Do I understand it correctly that the salesman, who was a passenger in the car with you, got a ticket that time?  That's the first time I've ever heard of a passenger getting a ticket for something done by a driver.

That's right, both a dealer test drive with a a salesman in the passenger seat.

In the first case, the officer said he'd been sitting in the same spot all day cracking down on a popular but apparently illegal test-drive site. The issue was something like commercial activity in a non-commercial space (it was a road through a park), and the ticket went to the person who was doing the commercial activity.

dazzleman

Interesting.  I would have thought that as a matter of law, the driver is held responsible for where a car is driven, even if a passenger told him to do something illegal.

Rupert

It doesn't even sound like it's a law about cars specifically, though.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

hotrodalex

Can't take a test drive on certain roads? Wow. One of the most idiotic things I've heard in awhile. A road is a road.