C&D 535i vs M37 vs A6 3.0T

Started by 565, July 04, 2010, 07:35:43 AM

MX793

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 21, 2010, 08:30:22 AM
Not necessarily. A lot of smaller economy cars here might not be the fastest from 0-100 km/h, but their midrange acceleration is perfectly adequate for merging unto a highway here.

And - I'm not sure people in the US do this, but when you're merging unto a highway here, the people in the slow lane automatically make way by moving into the fast lane, if possible, to allow you to safely merge.

The only cars that perform better in rolling acceleration than in acceleration from a dead stop are those that are so powerful they have trouble finding traction at launch.  Otherwise, a car with a slow 0-60 is also going to be slow at 5-60, 30-60, 40-70, etc...

And from my experience, people in the right lane only move over maybe 50% of the time.  Worse, at least around here, there are many short merging lanes.  Some highways don't even have a proper merge lane, they just have an on-ramp with a yield sign at the end (if there's no opening in traffic when you get to the end of the ramp, you have to stop completely).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

cawimmer430

Quote from: MX793 on July 21, 2010, 04:18:13 PM
The only cars that perform better in rolling acceleration than in acceleration from a dead stop are those that are so powerful they have trouble finding traction at launch.  Otherwise, a car with a slow 0-60 is also going to be slow at 5-60, 30-60, 40-70, etc...

Perhaps "subjectivity" is at work here again. What is considered good midrange acceleration here might be considered "slow and underpowered" in America. I've driven many slow cars here (VW Lupo 1.0, Renault Twingo, VW Golf TDI 100-hp, Mercedes C220 Diesel W202, Smart ForTwo CDI etc.) and I've never had a problem merging unto an Autobahn etc. with them. All it took was good timing.

Quote from: MX793 on July 21, 2010, 04:18:13 PMAnd from my experience, people in the right lane only move over maybe 50% of the time.  Worse, at least around here, there are many short merging lanes.  Some highways don't even have a proper merge lane, they just have an on-ramp with a yield sign at the end (if there's no opening in traffic when you get to the end of the ramp, you have to stop completely).

I'm not sure if you've ever driven in Europe, but the vast majority of drivers move over and make way for you to enter the highway. I've experienced this behavior in Germany, in the UK, France, Spain, Belgium, Holland, Austria, Switzerland and even in Italy, a country not really known for its driving discipline. Not everyone will do this, but the vast majority of drivers will. It's taught in driving schools all over Western Europe (not sure about Eastern Europe but I assume it's also taught there).

From what I hear about the American driving education system, it wouldn't surprise me if something like this might not be taught. What do they teach you guys over there?

"Make sure your car can do 0-60 in 5 seconds, 13 second 1/4 mile bla bla so you can merge safely unto a highway..."

:lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Raza

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 21, 2010, 08:31:12 AM
How fast is the US-spec GTI?

Like I said, some manufacturers offer different final drive / gear ratios for their US-spec models. Mercedes' in particular is known for doing this.

Well, two years in a row, Motor Trend got a DSG equipped GTI to hit 60 in 6 seconds flat.  Realistically, it's more mid sixes, 6.4-6.7.  Paying three or four times as much for a car with 2.5 times as many cylinders with more than twice the horsepower and twice the drive wheels and a sport badge, I'd expect it to be better than that.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MX793

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 22, 2010, 07:06:21 AM
Perhaps "subjectivity" is at work here again. What is considered good midrange acceleration here might be considered "slow and underpowered" in America. I've driven many slow cars here (VW Lupo 1.0, Renault Twingo, VW Golf TDI 100-hp, Mercedes C220 Diesel W202, Smart ForTwo CDI etc.) and I've never had a problem merging unto an Autobahn etc. with them. All it took was good timing.

I'm not sure if you've ever driven in Europe, but the vast majority of drivers move over and make way for you to enter the highway. I've experienced this behavior in Germany, in the UK, France, Spain, Belgium, Holland, Austria, Switzerland and even in Italy, a country not really known for its driving discipline. Not everyone will do this, but the vast majority of drivers will. It's taught in driving schools all over Western Europe (not sure about Eastern Europe but I assume it's also taught there).

From what I hear about the American driving education system, it wouldn't surprise me if something like this might not be taught. What do they teach you guys over there?

"Make sure your car can do 0-60 in 5 seconds, 13 second 1/4 mile bla bla so you can merge safely unto a highway..."

:lol:

Americans are taught that they should move over if they can to allow traffic entering the highway room to merge, but many do not.  Sometimes it's because traffic doesn't allow for it.  Sometimes it's because their exit is coming up (exits on our limited access highways tend to be more closely spaced) and they don't want to get stuck in the left lane and be unable to exit the highway at the desired point.  Many times it's because they're just lazy/selfish and because moving isn't the law, they don't bother.

Another thing to consider is that the entrance/exit ramp design is different between German autobahns and American highways.  I'm looking at a map of the A24 and something I'm noticing is that 1)  your merge ramps tend to be at least 100 ft (two semi truck lengths) longer than many of the merge ramps on the highways in my part of the country and 2) your entrance and exit ramps do not share a lane.  The interchanges (or "cloverleafs") of many American highways are set up so that the deceleration lane for the exit ramp and the acceleration lane for the entrance ramp are connected.  Vehicles trying to exit the highway are forced to compete for space in the lane with vehicles trying to enter the highway.  This effectively shortens the merge lane even more since you really want to avoid staying in the lane to the very end since you'll risk being struck by traffic trying to get into that lane to exit.  There are certainly instances in American where entering traffic and exiting traffic have dedicated acceleration/deceleration lanes, but there are also many, many interchanges where that is not the case.

Imagine trying to merge into speeding traffic when the merge lane is only 200-300 ft long (vs 400-500 ft for an autobahn ramp) and you not only have to worry about merging with existing traffic, but also traffic already on the highway trying to squeeze into your merge lane because it's their exit lane as well?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

sportyaccordy

Europeans would buy faster cars if the faster cars and gas weren't taxed so heavily. For example, right now in Germany I think a gallon of gas costs $8. If gas were $8 here, the American automotive landscape would look totally different... probably European.

Same for Japanese cars.

Let's not make it like ppl are content with buying a Polo 1.0. If not for the heavy gas + luxury taxes and crazy strict emission rules, cars like 600cc Polos wouldn't exist.

I don't think it's fair to say Americans are power crazy. An Accord/Camry 4 banger isn't exactly a rocket, and is a great compromise on many things for the average person. And that is representative of the average American car.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: MX793 on July 22, 2010, 04:39:04 PM
Americans are taught that they should move over if they can to allow traffic entering the highway room to merge, but many do not.  Sometimes it's because traffic doesn't allow for it.  Sometimes it's because their exit is coming up (exits on our limited access highways tend to be more closely spaced) and they don't want to get stuck in the left lane and be unable to exit the highway at the desired point.  Many times it's because they're just lazy/selfish and because moving isn't the law, they don't bother.

Another thing to consider is that the entrance/exit ramp design is different between German autobahns and American highways.  I'm looking at a map of the A24 and something I'm noticing is that 1)  your merge ramps tend to be at least 100 ft (two semi truck lengths) longer than many of the merge ramps on the highways in my part of the country and 2) your entrance and exit ramps do not share a lane.  The interchanges (or "cloverleafs") of many American highways are set up so that the deceleration lane for the exit ramp and the acceleration lane for the entrance ramp are connected.  Vehicles trying to exit the highway are forced to compete for space in the lane with vehicles trying to enter the highway.  This effectively shortens the merge lane even more since you really want to avoid staying in the lane to the very end since you'll risk being struck by traffic trying to get into that lane to exit.  There are certainly instances in American where entering traffic and exiting traffic have dedicated acceleration/deceleration lanes, but there are also many, many interchanges where that is not the case.

Imagine trying to merge into speeding traffic when the merge lane is only 200-300 ft long (vs 400-500 ft for an autobahn ramp) and you not only have to worry about merging with existing traffic, but also traffic already on the highway trying to squeeze into your merge lane because it's their exit lane as well?
Yeah, there are some terrible, terrible entry/exits here as well. One of them is where a 35mph road merges with the highway and the short entry ramp is also the exit ramp for the exit that's like 3 feet away. Not to mention there is a big dip in the "ramp". When there is a lot of traffic, I have to floor it right after the dip and merge on the highway at about 50 mph while people in the right lane either don't move over or floor it to move into the exit lane and then slam on their brakes to make the cloverleaf turn. :facepalm:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

rohan

Quote from: dazzleman on July 04, 2010, 09:17:28 AM
Very true.  Having owned both, I can attest to that.
My ONLY complaint about the steering on mine is it's slow at low speed.  Push it past 35 and that completely absolutely and completely goes away.
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

cawimmer430

Quote from: MX793 on July 22, 2010, 04:39:04 PM

Great insight. Thanks.  :ohyeah:

In my experience, people with passenger cars here always tend to make way most of the time to allow you to merge. I can't remember if I've ever encountered anyone who didn't move over - except trucks. Trucks, which are limited to 80 km/h, do not move over to allow you to merge. When I'm driving the 500SL or E320, this ain't a problem as a simple kickdown will see me out-accelerate the truck with ease thus allowing me to enter and merge the Autobahn safely in front of him. This is also possible with the 118i, but it's not as fast as the Benzes in our family.

Any reason why your merging/acceleration lanes are so short?

Quote from: MX793 on July 22, 2010, 04:39:04 PMImagine trying to merge into speeding traffic when the merge lane is only 200-300 ft long (vs 400-500 ft for an autobahn ramp) and you not only have to worry about merging with existing traffic, but also traffic already on the highway trying to squeeze into your merge lane because it's their exit lane as well?

Yikes!

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: rohan on July 22, 2010, 10:10:55 PM
My ONLY complaint about the steering on mine is it's slow at low speed.  Push it past 35 and that completely absolutely and completely goes away.

Do you have BMW Active Steering?

Mercedes offers their Parameterlenkung in their newest cars. This system ensures that at low speed the steering is less direct and more relaxed while at higher speeds you can feel the response of the steering wheel tighten and the response times shorten drastically. I've experienced it on a number of modern MB's and I find it quite useful if you're going to mix relaxed and sporty driving together.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

sportyaccordy

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 23, 2010, 05:51:26 AM
Piss poor planning really. Though I imagine the Autobahn having generally much higher speeds than an American interstate, warranting longer lanes. But yea it's almost standard fare to have to go from an 80 MPH (125 km/h?) highway to a curve that can be taken no faster than 30 MPH (50 km/h?) over the length of about 300-400 ft (100-130 m?).  Americans just get used to it.

cawimmer430

Quote from: sportyaccordy on July 23, 2010, 07:14:56 AM
Piss poor planning really. Though I imagine the Autobahn having generally much higher speeds than an American interstate, warranting longer lanes. But yea it's almost standard fare to have to go from an 80 MPH (125 km/h?) highway to a curve that can be taken no faster than 30 MPH (50 km/h?) over the length of about 300-400 ft (100-130 m?).  Americans just get used to it.

Sounds like poor planning indeed.  :ohyeah:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Jon?

We are a tiny, impoverished nation.  Extending on-ramps would be at the expense of our precious arable land.

Current Rides: 2011 VW Golf TDi, 2008 Pontiac Vibe

cawimmer430

Quote from: Jon? on July 23, 2010, 08:06:20 AM
We are a tiny, impoverished nation.  Extending on-ramps would be at the expense of our precious arable land.

I hear you! Longer on-ramps mean you guys have to import grain from the Soviet Union!  :ohyeah:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Tave

I've been utterly disgusted with the piss-poor design of all these cloverleafs out here in the East. In the western US, we have a lot more dedicated on/off-ramps (as well as higher speed limits to boot), and it works much better.

Cloverleafs are an obsolete solution to traffic congestion. In theory, they should improve the flow of traffic by allowing criss-crossing highways to share a common right of way while capitalizing on spacial constraints. In practice, traffic volumes have risen considerably since they were installed, and they're no longer capable of handling the amount of cars on today's roads.

I don't think they're all bad--if they're big enough and the highway engineers design enough space between the entry and exit points, they can work pretty smoothly. Of course then you're taking up so much space that you might as well go with dedicated on/off-ramps.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Cookie Monster

Great insight. Thanks.  :ohyeah:

In my experience, people with passenger cars here always tend to make way most of the time to allow you to merge. I can't remember if I've ever encountered anyone who didn't move over - except trucks. Trucks, which are limited to 80 km/h, do not move over to allow you to merge. When I'm driving the 500SL or E320, this ain't a problem as a simple kickdown will see me out-accelerate the truck with ease thus allowing me to enter and merge the Autobahn safely in front of him. This is also possible with the 118i, but it's not as fast as the Benzes in our family.

Yikes!
Yeah, there are places where people go 70 mph in the right lane and you have no time to accelerate up to speed. Also, a lot of people are dumb and don't use the on ramp properly and accelerate as slowly as possible while merging so traffic gets backed up and you're forced to really floor it to jump into the next lane at times.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

the Teuton

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 23, 2010, 05:54:11 AM

Mercedes offers their Parameterlenkung in their newest cars. This system ensures that at low speed the steering is less direct and more relaxed while at higher speeds you can feel the response of the steering wheel tighten and the response times shorten drastically. I've experienced it on a number of modern MB's and I find it quite useful if you're going to mix relaxed and sporty driving together.

I once drove a 128i with Active Steering. It was fucking terrible.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

rohan

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 23, 2010, 05:54:11 AM

Yes it does.  I don't like it very much at low speeds makes emergency steering almost impossible because the wheel is harder to move and the speed of the wheel turn is slower but at faster speeds its really nice and very crisp.
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

cawimmer430

Quote from: rohan on July 23, 2010, 11:46:04 PM
Yes it does.  I don't like it very much at low speeds makes emergency steering almost impossible because the wheel is harder to move and the speed of the wheel turn is slower but at faster speeds its really nice and very crisp.

I've not heard good things about Active Steering. Even owners don't seem to like it. Damn.  :tounge:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

the Teuton

When I hit the gas in the middle of a corner, I had to correct my steering because the rack tightened on me out of nowhere. It was the most disconcerting feeling I've had while driving.

The gas pedal and the steering ratio should not be linked to one another.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

TBR

Quote from: Tave on July 23, 2010, 08:32:22 AM
I've been utterly disgusted with the piss-poor design of all these cloverleafs out here in the East. In the western US, we have a lot more dedicated on/off-ramps (as well as higher speed limits to boot), and it works much better.

Cloverleafs are an obsolete solution to traffic congestion. In theory, they should improve the flow of traffic by allowing criss-crossing highways to share a common right of way while capitalizing on spacial constraints. In practice, traffic volumes have risen considerably since they were installed, and they're no longer capable of handling the amount of cars on today's roads.

I don't think they're all bad--if they're big enough and the highway engineers design enough space between the entry and exit points, they can work pretty smoothly. Of course then you're taking up so much space that you might as well go with dedicated on/off-ramps.

I am with you on that. I hardly ever saw a clover leaf before I got to NC, and they're all over the place here. They definitely have their advantages, but the reality is that there is rarely enough room to implement them correctly.