VW Confirms It Will Build Golf-Based Compact SUV

Started by BMWDave, September 01, 2005, 06:16:54 PM

BMWDave

VW Confirms It Will Build Golf-Based Compact SUV
Date Posted 08-31-2005

WOLFSBURG, Germany ? Volkswagen has confirmed it will build a Golf-based compact SUV.

The vehicle, which is rumored to be called Beduin, will be built at VW's plant in Portugal alongside the new Golf-based cabriolet that will be unveiled at the upcoming Frankfurt Motor Show.

The small SUV will compete with Toyota's RAV4 and BMW's X3 in an increasingly crowded compact 4x4 sector. The SUV is one of a number of niche models that VW is planning in an effort to put some pizzazz back into its range. The car is expected to be unveiled at either the Geneva or Paris Motor Show next year and will go into production in 2007.

Building the car in Portugal will save VW $1,220 per vehicle, compared with building it in Germany, the company told the Financial Times. The paper said this was a way of putting pressure on German unions to agree to ways of lowering VW's German labor costs. Bernd Pischetsrieder, VW's CEO, last week spoke of the need to lower production costs dramatically, with job losses or pay cuts a possibility.

What this means to you: It's mighty crowded in the small SUV sector, so it'll be tough for VW to break into the market, especially given the strength of the competition.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

They hadn't confirmed it already?

To restate the critical points about this vehicle: it had better not be as expensive, unattractive, or unreliable as all signs seem to point.  

thewizard16

Compete with both the Rav4 and the X3? Only VW would price a vehicle with the ability to be considered a competitor to both.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Raghavan

QuoteCompete with both the Rav4 and the X3? Only VW would price a vehicle with the ability to be considered a competitor to both.
Agreed. Most likely this thing'll be priced more towards the X3 range...

thewizard16

QuoteCompete with both the Rav4 and the X3? Only VW would price a vehicle with the ability to be considered a competitor to both.
Undoubtedly. It probably only competes with a loaded RAV4 L, which, I was amazed to discover, you can get up to a little over $30,000. Of course, that's with leather, heated seats, HomeLink, JBL sound system, etc. but still more than I'd have guessed.
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Raghavan

Undoubtedly. It probably only competes with a loaded RAV4 L, which, I was amazed to discover, you can get up to a little over $30,000. Of course, that's with leather, heated seats, HomeLink, JBL sound system, etc. but still more than I'd have guessed.
for that money you can get an X3 2.5 i.

ifcar

I stuck on every option and couldn't get it past $28,000.  <_<  

thewizard16

I stuck on every option and couldn't get it past $28,000.  <_<
Then you didn't do it right. Or maybe it's my zip code. Don't know. Anyway, go to Toyota.com, and build a RAV4. I'm not talking about any of the "real value" calculators, because when you're optioning out a vehicle as high as it will go, especially a Toyota, I have very little faith in getting it for much less than MSRP, which is what we're comparing here. If you can't get it above 30 on Toyota's builder, try my zip code: 72701.
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

ifcar

Found this explanation:

"If you are purchasing a Toyota vehicle in the following states, you should follow up with your cars.com dealer to learn the exact MSRP and available options for your new car: ,...Arkansas,...."

thewizard16

QuoteFound this explanation:

"If you are purchasing a Toyota vehicle in the following states, you should follow up with your cars.com dealer to learn the exact MSRP and available options for your new car: ,...Arkansas,...."
I've never come across that, and I've used it several times for curiousities. Odd. :blink:  
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie