The Detailing Thread

Started by giant_mtb, July 06, 2010, 09:58:16 PM

giant_mtb

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on May 06, 2015, 09:24:18 AM
That is spendy, must be a regional thing. Most of my 3M one sided velcro pads are 22-24 dollars, compounds are around 40 a qt and polish is around 45.

The only place to get 3M stuff around here is NAPA/CarQuest/etc., and when you go there, you can just tell nobody buys it.  The 3M bottles are always dirty from sitting on the shelf so long.  It may be so pricey because nobody buys it or nobody buys it because it's so pricey (or both?), but yeah.  It's cheaper to get the stuff online for sure.  Same thing goes for any of the Meguiar's stuff I use, too.  Big big markup compared to buying it from the internets.  Again likely because they just don't go through a lot of it.  People love their Eagle One and Turtle Wax shit in the cool shaped bottles with shiny advertising. 

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 06, 2015, 09:45:47 AM
The only place to get 3M stuff around here is NAPA/CarQuest/etc., and when you go there, you can just tell nobody buys it.  The 3M bottles are always dirty from sitting on the shelf so long.  It may be so pricey because nobody buys it or nobody buys it because it's so pricey (or both?), but yeah.  It's cheaper to get the stuff online for sure.  Same thing goes for any of the Meguiar's stuff I use, too.  Big big markup compared to buying it from the internets.  Again likely because they just don't go through a lot of it.  People love their Eagle One and Turtle Wax shit in the cool shaped bottles with shiny advertising. 

That sucks,

I'm going to have to pick up some dressing and give the underhood regimen a try. I've never been happy with how clean any of my stuff is under there.

FlatBlackCaddy

Have you used any of those meguiars microfiber DA pads?

I've used them as well as the DA correction compound and polish. Not a bad system, though I like the pads most of all and I've used them with other products.

giant_mtb

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on May 06, 2015, 09:51:13 AM
Have you used any of those meguiars microfiber DA pads?

I've used them as well as the DA correction compound and polish. Not a bad system, though I like the pads most of all and I've used them with other products.

I have not.  The first year I had my Flex buffer, I had Adam's Polishes pads (came as part of a package with the buffer, they were pretty "meh").  After that I started buying Lake Country and have a good stash of those at the moment.  I'll probably need to buy some fresh pads by mid-summer, though, and I've considered those...never used a microfiber pad.  Do they come in 6+ inchers?

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 06, 2015, 09:58:45 AM
I have not.  The first year I had my Flex buffer, I had Adam's Polishes pads (came as part of a package with the buffer, they were pretty "meh").  After that I started buying Lake Country and have a good stash of those at the moment.  I'll probably need to buy some fresh pads by mid-summer, though, and I've considered those...never used a microfiber pad.  Do they come in 6+ inchers?

They are 6" and 5". Microfiber face with a varying thinkness of foam for the cutting aspect. Seems to work pretty well the few times I've used them.

giant_mtb

Well good.  The backing pad on my buffer is 5.5", so I always have to go 6+.  All of my current pads are 6.5".  I don't think I've used a true 6" pad on it before...do you know if they're big enough to fit a 5.5 backing?

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 06, 2015, 10:20:49 AM
Well good.  The backing pad on my buffer is 5.5", so I always have to go 6+.  All of my current pads are 6.5".  I don't think I've used a true 6" pad on it before...do you know if they're big enough to fit a 5.5 backing?

Yes, they will fit a 5.5" backer. They are exactly 6" I believe and the fit flush on a typical 6" velcro D/A pad.

giant_mtb

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on May 06, 2015, 10:32:18 AM
Yes, they will fit a 5.5" backer. They are exactly 6" I believe and the fit flush on a typical 6" velcro D/A pad.

Nice.  I'll have to give 'em a try next time I get some pads.  What I go through most of are finishing pads since those are what I use to wax nearly every vehicle.  Microfiber might be a bit more durable and easier to clean.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 06, 2015, 10:40:46 AM
Nice.  I'll have to give 'em a try next time I get some pads.  What I go through most of are finishing pads since those are what I use to wax nearly every vehicle.  Microfiber might be a bit more durable and easier to clean.

There thickest pad would work great for was application and I'd agree would probably be easier to clean.

giant_mtb

Out of curiosity, did you notice any differences between my underhood cleaning process and what you've been doing?  I used to suck at it.  I was always super nervous about getting things wet, but eventually I got past that and my results improved a lot.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 06, 2015, 10:46:44 AM
Out of curiosity, did you notice any differences between my underhood cleaning process and what you've been doing?  I used to suck at it.  I was always super nervous about getting things wet, but eventually I got past that and my results improved a lot.

I've in the past just used a pressure washer on the surrounding area's and very little on the motor. Only sometimes did I use a precleaner. The rest of my work was usually using mild cleaners by hand with microfiber towels. So it was a lot of work and very "patchy" results.

I've just never gotten to crazy on the underhood. Up to a year ago I wouldn't even was(with water) out of fear of damaging something. So I used to do all of it by hand. Obviously the larger exposed areas turned out well but thinks like hoses and wire looms never looked good.

I'm going to try your way and I'm sure it will turn out way better than what I'm looking for.

giant_mtb

Yeah, once I started soaking everything with degreaser after the initial rinse, it made things much better.  And with a good degreaser, you can trust that it's loosening a solid majority of the gunk so you don't need to use a frightening amount of water/pressure, just enough to get it all rinsed off well. 

I washed the engine bay of my parents' Grand Marquis (long gone now) one time and when I turned it back on to pull it into the garage, it started idling really high (way higher than a normal "cold start," like 2500-3000rpm high).  Scared me.  I got it in and shut it off quick before I did any damage, but it was completely fine the next day when it was driven.  Not sure if it actually had anything to do with something I did or if it was just being weird.  Haven't had anything like that happen before or since, thankfully.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 06, 2015, 11:00:51 AM
Yeah, once I started soaking everything with degreaser after the initial rinse, it made things much better.  And with a good degreaser, you can trust that it's loosening a solid majority of the gunk so you don't need to use a frightening amount of water/pressure, just enough to get it all rinsed off well. 

I washed the engine bay of my parents' Grand Marquis (long gone now) one time and when I turned it back on to pull it into the garage, it started idling really high (way higher than a normal "cold start," like 2500-3000rpm high).  Scared me.  I got it in and shut it off quick before I did any damage, but it was completely fine the next day when it was driven.  Not sure if it actually had anything to do with something I did or if it was just being weird. 

If I'm worried about it I'll use the air compressor and blow off the bulk of the vulnerable spots.

What type of degreaser do you use? Zep Purple? What dillution do you use?

giant_mtb

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on May 06, 2015, 11:02:09 AM
If I'm worried about it I'll use the air compressor and blow off the bulk of the vulnerable spots.

What type of degreaser do you use? Zep Purple? What dillution do you use?

That's a good idea.  I need to get me a little pancake compressor for stuff like that.  Air is also good for blowing crap out from under/between seats and small cracks between adjoining interior panels.

Yep, Zep Industrial Purple.  $10/gallon.  Bottle says to use 5oz/gallon for light soils and 20/gallon for heavy.  I'll usually drop around 5 ounces into a 32oz sprayer, so it's essentially mixed for "heavy" cleaning and it does a great job on engines, tires, wheelwells, etc. 

FlatBlackCaddy

I'll have to take a look at menards next time I'm there, probably should grab some spray bottles and their cheap microfibers anyway.

giant_mtb

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on May 06, 2015, 11:13:29 AM
I'll have to take a look at menards next time I'm there, probably should grab some spray bottles and their cheap microfibers anyway.

For sure.  Sprayers at Menards are usually good.  I have a lot of Zep ones and a few Rubbermaid ones from them.  Prefer the Zeps and I haven't seen them carry the Rubbermaids in a while.  Only chemical they can't handle is Meg's Wheel Brightener.  I have to use chemical-resistant sprayer caps for that, no matter the dilution.  But, since I pretty much only use that stuff on wheels, I have it in a 1.5gallon garden sprayer and the same thing for the degreaser I use for tires/wheelwells/bumpers.  Spray bottles get pretty tiresome to use after a while.  Garden sprayer is a lot faster and easier and I only have to re-fill them 1-2 times a week at most, as opposed to every single wash when I was using 32oz spray bottles.

FlatBlackCaddy

Hmm, never thought of the garden sprayer, would make degreasing a lot easier. Especially with a nice wand on the end of it(getting up in the wheel wells, etc).

giant_mtb

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on May 06, 2015, 11:21:21 AM
Hmm, never thought of the garden sprayer, would make degreasing a lot easier. Especially with a nice wand on the end of it(getting up in the wheel wells, etc).

Yeah, it made a world of difference for me.  I have my wash bucket, brushes, and two garden sprayers on a little dolly cart that I wheel around the car while I wash.  Sooooo much better than trying to carry two spray bottles, wash bucket, and 5 or 6 different brushes from corner to corner when doing the wheels/tires/wheelwells.  The sprayers have been surprisingly chemical resistant, too.  Only had to replace one wand because I left it in the garage over the winter and whatever was still in it froze and cracked the brass.  All seals are still good.

giant_mtb

This is the cart I use.  Just the cheap-o brand at Menards, "Xtreme Garage," but it's identical to the Tool Shop one.  Works perfect for my use.  Only thing I'd like is to find longer hoses for my garden sprayers so I can ratchet strap the tanks to the push bar...they have a tendency to bounce around and fall off, especially once they're getting low on solution.  The stock hoses are 4', which is decent, but I still have to take the sprayer off the cart so that I can get nice and close, into deeper spots, and hit an entire front bumper or something.  Some 10' hoses would be awesommmmmmme.

FlatBlackCaddy

I'd think you could make your own or go to someplace that does custom hoses(air/liquid) and have a few made up.

giant_mtb

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on May 06, 2015, 11:53:02 AM
I'd think you could make your own or go to someplace that does custom hoses(air/liquid) and have a few made up.

Yeah.  I haven't actually gotten a replacement wand for the one that cracked yet, so I'm gonna do some investigating with it and see if I can rig something up.  Shouldn't be too difficult.  Just need to find proper diameters and fittings; replacement wands are readily available at Tractor Supply and probably Menards.

giant_mtb

Today's job.  I think this is the 4th year I've done this truck.  Same owner as yesterday's GMC Terrain.  Single-cab trucks are my favorite.  Nice and quick for the same $$$$.  So I can either take my sweet time or get it done quickly.  Today was more of a take my time day as I was in and out of this thread multiple times throughout the day chattin' it up. :lol:

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 06, 2015, 02:22:41 PM
Today was more of a take my time day as I was in and out of this thread multiple times throughout the day chattin' it up. :lol:

I was going to say something about that. I figured you should be working rather than dicking around on the internet all day. That's for us office people.

giant_mtb

It can be easy to do when you work alone and the entire garage is your office.  I've got my laptop, speakers, and printer all set up at one end of the workbench.  I could've had that truck done in probably 4 hours or less instead of 7 if I'd wanted to. :lol:

giant_mtb

And the guy didn't want it back until 3 at the earliest because he had an appointment at 1, so I felt no rush.

giant_mtb

Another good little trick I like is that I always put a few ounces of Hyper Dressing in my spray bottle of interior cleaner.  Gives interior surfaces just a little bit of shine without feeling greasy.  Lasts quite a while, too.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 11, 2015, 10:45:19 AM
Another good little trick I like is that I always put a few ounces of Hyper Dressing in my spray bottle of interior cleaner.  Gives interior surfaces just a little bit of shine without feeling greasy.  Lasts quite a while, too.

I'd like to see some before after interior pics next time, if you are into it.

giant_mtb

That I can do.  Didn't do any pictures today 'cause it's raining and I just wanted to get the thing washed and inside.  Just finished up the interior, which made me think about that.  I've got a Charger and a truck I'm doing interiors on tomorrow so I'll get some pictures. 

MrH

Hyper dressing sounds like an Xtreme topping for a salad.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

giant_mtb

I don't eat salad. The only things I put dressing on are tires, rubber and plastic trim, and other stuff that looks better when shiny. :lol: