The Detailing Thread

Started by giant_mtb, July 06, 2010, 09:58:16 PM

Byteme

I've got to go clean the CLk after a 3,700 mile road trip.  It should take the rest of the day.  I've already pulled the bird I hit out of the grill.  Funny that you can actually feel the thump when you hit a sparrow size bird at 75 MPH.

giant_mtb

My buddy is bringing his KX500 to town and is gonna let me detail it.  Excited. Never done a dirtbike before. All the same principles apply, just on a different scale with a different machine.

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 17, 2015, 07:37:51 PM
My buddy is bringing his KX500 to town and is gonna let me detail it.  Excited. Never done a dirtbike before. All the same principles apply, just on a different scale with a different machine.

Think it'll take you more time or less time than a regular car?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on May 14, 2015, 08:19:59 PM
Hmm.

Not too sure if I buy that one.

I've got pics of what a medium sized deer will do to a Honda Pilot around here somewhere...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on June 18, 2015, 12:05:50 PM
Think it'll take you more time or less time than a regular car?

Put about 2.5 hours into it.  I'd have to go nuts on it to take as long as a car. Dirt bikes are pretty easy. Degreaser, and plenty of it. I'll post pics another time.

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 18, 2015, 06:28:32 PM
I've got pics of what a medium sized deer will do to a Honda Pilot around here somewhere...

Alright. Alright. I believe you guys.

:lol: ;)

I'm thinking about getting a guard grill for Lexus but I don't need one that's too gnarly, which is what some people go for. I also want some fog lights to go with it, which a lot of people around here seem to have on their trucks and other vehicles. It can get ridiculously foggy for days on end in certain parts of the mountain but I think the question is how effective are they in that fog.

2o6

What do you guys use for cloth interiors? The Vibe isn't bad, but it's still kinda gross, most notably the headliner

FlatBlackCaddy

I use a APC(All purpose cleaner) from meguires detail line. I have a few bottles of different dillutions. Works well as a spot treater, general scrubbing and even on light soils(just saturate and scrub up with a microfiber rag).

giant_mtb

Quote from: 2o6 on June 19, 2015, 10:56:43 AM
What do you guys use for cloth interiors? The Vibe isn't bad, but it's still kinda gross, most notably the headliner

3-in-1.  Dilute to desired strength for spot/stain removal, pre-treatment, or general shampooing.  $10/gallon.  Only need ~5 ounces per 32oz. spray bottle.

FlatBlackCaddy

What about the zep stuff you mentioned?

giant_mtb

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on June 19, 2015, 12:46:37 PM
What about the zep stuff you mentioned?

http://www.zepcommercial.com/product/Premium-Carpet-Shampoo

It claims to be more shampoo/deep cleaner than stain remover.  I have the 3-in-1 in my pretreat/stain spray bottle and Zep in da extractor. 

FlatBlackCaddy

giant_mtb

HEAT is the biggest thing that helps the extractor.  It doesn't take much shampoo (4-6oz/gallon, depending on the chosen shampoo).  When your solution is running through a 1000W heater, it makes a world of difference.

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 18, 2015, 08:59:08 PM
Put about 2.5 hours into it.  I'd have to go nuts on it to take as long as a car. Dirt bikes are pretty easy. Degreaser, and plenty of it. I'll post pics another time.

I know you like detailing cars but must be nice to switch it up every so often with something different.

giant_mtb

KX500.  Used almost two 32oz. bottles of (diluted) degreaser.  Having the Speed Master Wheel Brush was a huge help.   

BENZ BOY15

FlatBlackCaddy

Any pictures of it after you cleaned it?

2o6

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 19, 2015, 12:33:13 PM
3-in-1.  Dilute to desired strength for spot/stain removal, pre-treatment, or general shampooing.  $10/gallon.  Only need ~5 ounces per 32oz. spray bottle.

Do I work it in and suck it out with speci tools?

giant_mtb

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on June 19, 2015, 01:40:26 PM
Any pictures of it after you cleaned it?

Whaaa?  Are you not seeing before/after?

giant_mtb

Quote from: 2o6 on June 19, 2015, 01:48:07 PM

Do I work it in and suck it out with speci tools?

Dilute into spray bottle.  Spray onto stain (or all over for general shampooing).  Scrub with a carpet brush.  Suck up with ShopVac.  Repeat if necessary for tough stains.

giant_mtb

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on June 19, 2015, 01:33:01 PM
I know you like detailing cars but must be nice to switch it up every so often with something different.

For sure.  It's nice to see something different once in a while. 

BENZ BOY15

What are all the marks below the handlebars/above the Kawasaki logo? They look like dents or chips but can't really tell.

giant_mtb

Part of the design of the graphics kit.  If you look closely, both sides are the same pattern.

BENZ BOY15

Ah. I see it now.

Not sure if I like the paint scheme but nice bike otherwise.

giant_mtb

My friend wasn't too sure about the graphics, either.  I said wait til you see it cleaned up. Who knows what he'll do.

FlatBlackCaddy

giant_mtb

giant_mtb

Cleaned up mom's Q5 the other day as well.  Brought back memories of detailing the A4.  Used DP Poli Coat sealant instead of my usual wax.  Gold "jeweling" pad (super soft, no cut).  Sealants provide similar or better aesthetic improvements compared to wax (and often clean better depending on the chemicals) while providing better, longer-lasting protection.  Pricier, though.

Paint could realllllllllly use a good cleaning (clay bar, etc.), as could most any car in the UP after winter.  My mom takes my digs at automatic car washes as instructions to never wash the car unless it's me doing it.  MOM, WASH IT MOAR.  I AIN'T GOT TIME FOR DIS.  :lol:

But...this is how I pay them back for using their garage all the time, I guess.  Can't wait til I have my own garage so I can charge them.  (Kidding, I'd never charge my parents)

http://www.autogeek.net/dp-poli-coat-paint-sealant.html

This photo shows how awesome the Speed Master Wheel Brush is.  With cars getting bigger and bigger wheels, the insides are a lot more visible, so keeping them clean can make a pretty decent aesthetic difference.

giant_mtb

Here's the '93 Ranger interior I did the other day.  It was raining outside by the time I finished, so the "after" pictures were taken inside the garage...they'd look a lot better if I'd been able to take them outside (or if I had even more fluorescent tubes in the garage).  Fun project, though...my dad had a '93 Explorer for a while and it was what both of my brothers drove as their first vehicle when they turned 16.  I basically grew up with it.  Was never really "into" detailing by the time we got rid of it, so detailing this Ranger was a neat little blast from the past (interior is basically identical to the Explorer).  For a 22 year old, it turned out very nicely; it's in great shape for its age, just really needed a deep cleaning.  Spent about 5-6 hours on it.  And yes, it's just a 2-door regular cab...22 years of accumulation takes time, from vacuuming and shampooing every square inch of fabric including the headliner to removing the years of dust and grime on all the plastics, panels, and door jambs.  5-speed, gutless, but fun to drive.  I'd love it if he let me clean up the exterior some time this summer.  It would really benefit.  Mostly, though, he was just aiming to get the interior done and get the general smells and age out of it.

giant_mtb

Hmmmmmmm, this could be extremely advantageous and time-saving.  It's hard to drop $50 without trying, though, especially when they have Fine and Medium grade and I'm not sure which would work best for me...I'll throw a fine grade in on my next order.

http://www.autogeek.net/nanoskin-autoscrub-wash-mitt-fine-grade.html