The Detailing Thread

Started by giant_mtb, July 06, 2010, 09:58:16 PM

FlatBlackCaddy

Just about got the miata wrapped up.

Spent a few (6) hours this morning polishing and then put a couple coats of hand wax on(broke out the Marque d'Elegance, fancy).

This color is gorgeous, I think this is the prettiest NB I've ever seen.

68_427

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on June 20, 2015, 07:36:00 PM
Just about got the miata wrapped up.

Spent a few (6) hours this morning polishing and then put a couple coats of hand wax on(broke out the Marque d'Elegance, fancy).

This color is gorgeous, I think this is the prettiest NB I've ever seen.

Love the latest update to that thread you've got going on
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

FlatBlackCaddy

Is that sarcasm?

I'm going to finish cleaning it tonight or tomorrow and then get some final pictures. Then I'll start the intro/build thread in the garage.

Morris Minor

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 20, 2015, 01:45:52 PM
Hmmmmmmm, this could be extremely advantageous and time-saving.  It's hard to drop $50 without trying, though, especially when they have Fine and Medium grade and I'm not sure which would work best for me...I'll throw a fine grade in on my next order.

http://www.autogeek.net/nanoskin-autoscrub-wash-mitt-fine-grade.html

This guy liked it:
https://youtu.be/v7n0SDeJJ1A
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

giant_mtb

Yeeee, ordered one today along with a couple more gallons of wheel cleaner and a few brushes and applicators.

FlatBlackCaddy

Got the miata detail all done. Kind of rushed through the rest of it, dieing to get it done and drive it. Took a bunch of pictures I'll start a thread tomorrow. Went on a drive when I was done. :lol:

giant_mtb

Did you spraydetail the paint, wheels, and re-dress the tires when you got back? :)

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 21, 2015, 09:19:30 PM
Did you spraydetail the paint, wheels, and re-dress the tires when you got back? :)

Nope, the car will never be this clean again. I stopped caring years ago when it cam3 down to choosing between driving and cleaning. So now i just do one full detail, snap a bunch of pictures for the "file" and then drive it.

Morris Minor

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 21, 2015, 04:00:54 PM
Yeeee, ordered one today along with a couple more gallons of wheel cleaner and a few brushes and applicators.

If the mitt works as advertised it will be a huge timesaver.  What products do you currently use after the claybarring is done?

(I keep two cars garaged and one outside - detailed all three about six months ago. The indoor cars have retained their claybarred smoothness. The paint on the outdoor car is already embedded with crud.)
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

giant_mtb

Yeah, the mitt will be awesome. Cars get gunked up so quickly around here. It'll allow me to provide a smoother finish and better surface for waxing with minimal extra effort. It will just become an extra step in the wash process.

After clay barring is done?  Depends on the job. But 90% of the time I'm buffing after I clay, so I use a number of products on the paint after claying. Compounds, polishes, waxes or sealants, etc.

FlatBlackCaddy

I remember when those nano mitts came out. I had a sales rep and the vice president of one of the companies that makes them stop in. Seemed kind of cool, but even those two had some issues with getting the "ease of use" and "speed" down.

The better one I saw had a velcro back and attached to a da or polisher. That would be the ticket, IMO.

giant_mtb

Nano mitt came in a shipment on Monday. Today will be it's maiden voyage. The works for a 2012ish black Dodge Ram. Or is it just a Ram. I dunno. Either way, I'm pumped to see how it works out. Pics.

FlatBlackCaddy

Stopped by menards the other day, found myself in the auto isle for no good reason(checking to see if microfibers where on sale). 10 pack grey microfibers for 2.99, grabbed a few packages, some cheap sponges, some cheap brushes, etc.

giant_mtb

Save big money at Menarrrrrrds.

Byteme

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on July 01, 2015, 08:32:47 AM
Stopped by menards the other day, found myself in the auto isle for no good reason(checking to see if microfibers where on sale). 10 pack grey microfibers for 2.99, grabbed a few packages, some cheap sponges, some cheap brushes, etc.

What size were the microfiber cloths? 

Byteme

Quote from: Morris Minor on June 22, 2015, 08:54:09 AM
What products do you currently use after the claybarring is done?

I do the following in order, with Meguires' products :
Clean engine compartment***
Wash*
Dry*
Clay bar**
Polish**
Wax**

Vacuum carpet*
Clean leather or vacuum upholstery**
Clean hard surfaces**
Clean glass*
Vacuum trunk*

* as needed
** twice a year
*** once a year

giant_mtb

Yep, this clay bar mitt is the shit.  Wash normally, rinse, wash again to lay down some soapy water for lube, dunk the matt, and work section by section rinsing it in between. Using Dawn and Meg's D111 Shampoo Plus. Slippery slippery.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: CLKid on July 01, 2015, 09:58:24 AM
What size were the microfiber cloths? 

Smaller, like 10x10 or right around there.

Byteme

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on July 01, 2015, 11:49:55 AM
Smaller, like 10x10 or right around there.

Not a bad deal for a pack of 10. 

I need to find some large microfiber towels for drying the cars.  I have 3 or 4 about 2'X2' I use for polishing and waxing.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: CLKid on July 01, 2015, 12:19:54 PM
Not a bad deal for a pack of 10. 

I need to find some large microfiber towels for drying the cars.  I have 3 or 4 about 2'X2' I use for polishing and waxing.

Meguiars makes a larger towel for drying. I've got a few of them and they work really well.

http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/x2000-water-magnetreg-microfiber-drying-towel/

giant_mtb

Currently using one of those grey microfibers on some door jambs. They're nice and plush.

Byteme

giant_mtb

Did the works on this Ram.  Washed, clay barred (with the nanomitt!), Wizards Finish Cut (didn't need anything heavier), finished off with DP PoliCoat sealant.  Also did a full interior detail on it.  Guy I graduated HS with is the owner. 

FlatBlackCaddy

You like the wizards compounds?

giant_mtb

I do.  This was the first bottle of their compound I've ever bought, but I am pretty satisfied with the Finish Cut.  It tackles semi heavy imperfections with ease and leaves a great shine with MINIMAL swiRls.  Previously I've only ever used their spray detailer and a compound here and there that a friend had/used.

Do you not like Wizards? 

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 20, 2015, 10:56:33 AM
Cleaned up mom's Q5 the other day as well.  Brought back memories of detailing the A4.  Used DP Poli Coat sealant instead of my usual wax.  Gold "jeweling" pad (super soft, no cut).  Sealants provide similar or better aesthetic improvements compared to wax (and often clean better depending on the chemicals) while providing better, longer-lasting protection.  Pricier, though.

Paint could realllllllllly use a good cleaning (clay bar, etc.), as could most any car in the UP after winter.  My mom takes my digs at automatic car washes as instructions to never wash the car unless it's me doing it.  MOM, WASH IT MOAR.  I AIN'T GOT TIME FOR DIS.  :lol:

But...this is how I pay them back for using their garage all the time, I guess.  Can't wait til I have my own garage so I can charge them.  (Kidding, I'd never charge my parents)

http://www.autogeek.net/dp-poli-coat-paint-sealant.html

This photo shows how awesome the Speed Master Wheel Brush is.  With cars getting bigger and bigger wheels, the insides are a lot more visible, so keeping them clean can make a pretty decent aesthetic difference.

Looks nice and glossy.

:ohyeah:

So, business is pretty good I presume?

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 05, 2015, 09:46:36 PM
I do.  This was the first bottle of their compound I've ever bought, but I am pretty satisfied with the Finish Cut.  It tackles semi heavy imperfections with ease and leaves a great shine with MINIMAL swiRls.  Previously I've only ever used their spray detailer and a compound here and there that a friend had/used.

Do you not like Wizards? 

I've used a lot of wizards, just about everything they make. Most of it I like, there are a few things though that I've had some usage issues with. Namely the compounds(turbo cut and finish cut). The stuff works, OK, but I sometimes have a hard time with it(the way I'm trying to work it). Their newer(though much more expensive stuff) seems to work better for me(the Mystic Cut and Mystic Polish). Otherwise I like(and use) their shine master polish/sealant as well as the bulk of their accessory stuff(mist n shine, power clean, tire and vinyl, etc).

I sell a fair amount of the Turbo and Finish cut though, it seems most people like it.

giant_mtb

Mmmm I didn't know they had new stuff out.  Mist n Shine is wonderful. So slippery.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 06, 2015, 10:02:18 AM
Mmmm I didn't know they had new stuff out.  Mist n Shine is wonderful. So slippery.

Yup, I buy that by the gallon. Good stuff.