The Detailing Thread

Started by giant_mtb, July 06, 2010, 09:58:16 PM

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

FlatBlackCaddy

Orrrrrrrrrr.......... just leave it chrome.

280Z Turbo

Cut off the chrome shit and weld in new sheet metal. It's worth it.

MrH

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on March 06, 2016, 08:07:19 PM
3m adhesive or tape film. Apparently it's over the entire surface, not just the perimeter.

The good 3m stuff makes even small emblems hard to remover. A 6 x 24" solid piece is almost non removable.

Heat gun and fishing line. It'll take a few hours but it'll come off.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

FlatBlackCaddy

I really don't care about it. I've spent too much time on this as it is. I need to get back on the 300.

MrH

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: MrH on March 12, 2016, 09:12:11 PM
Pics of the truck!!!

Got it all buffed out today, installed the new door handles and did a few other things. Going to revacuum, clean the interior and then wash it tomorrow. I'll take some pictures tomorrow of it.

FlatBlackCaddy

Heres some from the other day, spent the most time on the hood on this truck.

Passenger side, front of hood.

Byteme

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on March 06, 2016, 08:07:19 PM
3m adhesive or tape film. Apparently it's over the entire surface, not just the perimeter.

The good 3m stuff makes even small emblems hard to remover. A 6 x 24" solid piece is almost non removable.

3M also make an adhesive remover.  I've seen quart cans at auto parts stores.

FlatBlackCaddy

I know of it, I sell it and have used it a lot. Still a shit ton of work.

68_427

Sucks about the chrome stuff.  I've seen it looks decent on some trucks but it looks like the PO went a bit too fat with it
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

FlatBlackCaddy

Its actually not too bad, the color goes well with chrome.

Rupert

I took the clear plastic stone off the 944 because they weren't clear anymore. 30 year old adhesive, and it was still a PITA. I used a heat gun and a plastic putty knife to get the stone guards off, and then Goof Off and an eraser wheel for the adhesive.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

giant_mtb

Paint looks good. Nice work!  Amazing what a little work will do.

FlatBlackCaddy

Thanks, really liking new polisher, should have bought one years ago.

giant_mtb

Oh yeah you got a Flex!  Wonderful machines. Mine's going on 4? years of hard use with no issues.  Direct drive random orbit is tha shiiiiit.

FlatBlackCaddy

Seems kind of noisy sometimes, been wondering if thats normal.

giant_mtb

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on March 13, 2016, 07:51:27 PM
Seems kind of noisy sometimes, been wondering if thats normal.

Mine is, too. I want to disassemble the head and lube the gears some day.

FlatBlackCaddy

giant_mtb

Looks awesome.  Amazing what a little time and effort will do.

Rupert

Now that it's clean and shiny, you can get it dirty and grimy as you never have to wash it again.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Rupert on March 21, 2016, 12:35:12 AM
Now that it's clean and shiny, you can get it dirty and grimy as you never have to wash it again.

Pretty close.

Rich

Previously, I used a generic blue clay bar from Amazon, which I didn't feel did anything for the paint at all.  Recently, I ordered a heavy duty chemical guys bar, and even though the quantity was much smaller, man that did it.  That paint is so smooth it actually feels soft, and 'm a believer in clay bars now.  I'm not sure what was up with that blue bar that I used before.

I've ordered a couple of new polishing pads and a bit stronger polish (V34 v V36).  The hood has some stubborn stains toward the front and the front fascia has shipped clearcoat, pitting, etc.  Yeah I'll probably be blasting the clearcoat off in parts of the fascia, but at least it'll be smooth.  I'll get it re-painted or a new fascia (01+ maybe)when I get back to the US.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

FlatBlackCaddy

Strange, Ive never had an issue with any clay bars, be it 3m, meguiars, wizards or even a few generics I've had at the store.

They are great though, love that fresh clayed softness.

68_427

Anybody use any protective coatings for wheels with good success?  The finish on my new ones is like a 10/10 and I'd like to keep it fresh.

'racecar is die'
no

FlatBlackCaddy

Ive never used a wheel specific product. Normally just use my strongest wax, collinite insulator wax. I'd just clean them, clay them and put 2 to 3 coats of wax on them.

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

MrH

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

FlatBlackCaddy

So I just got around to unpacking some new detailing supplies.

Firstly, I've been meaning to try some griots products out for years. So I picked up some of their products to try, finally.

Also picked up a few things from autogeek, as well as a few new wizards products to try.

And a bunch of pads I got from work.