The Detailing Thread

Started by giant_mtb, July 06, 2010, 09:58:16 PM

FlatBlackCaddy

Stocked up to detail all the cars before they hit the street for the summer.

280Z Turbo

Can anyone recommend a good product for making black plastic black again?

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Byteme

Quote from: 68_427 on April 09, 2016, 11:54:22 AM
Anybody use any protective coatings for wheels with good success?  The finish on my new ones is like a 10/10 and I'd like to keep it fresh.

Believe it or not.........Pledge.

Byteme

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on May 07, 2016, 06:53:47 PM
So I just got around to unpacking some new detailing supplies.

Firstly, I've been meaning to try some griots products out for years. So I picked up some of their products to try, finally.

I tried Griots years ago found it no better than Meguires and harder to use.

Bargain time:  Walmart has bundles of 10 17"X17" micro fiber towels for $5.  They are seconds, but perfectly serviceable.

FlatBlackCaddy

I used their spray wax this weekend on the GTR after I washed it up. Actually pretty decent quick wax. Buffs of real nice and fast. Has a pretty decent feel to it.

68_427

I totally wish I had 5x114 hubs so I could grab those wheels off you.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

68_427

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on May 22, 2016, 06:15:06 PM
Can anyone recommend a good product for making black plastic black again?

Where is this plastic?  I died some of mine but it's very temperamental depending on how perfectly clean and porous you were able to get the plastic.  If it's something you can mask off and spray then plastidip actually works very well.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Byteme

Quote from: 68_427 on May 23, 2016, 04:08:59 AM
Where is this plastic?  I died some of mine but it's very temperamental depending on how perfectly clean and porous you were able to get the plastic.  If it's something you can mask off and spray then plastidip actually works very well.

Meguiars makes a pretty good aerosol "Plastic and Vinyl Coating, Part number D5410, that works decently.

Cookie Monster

I have a dumb question - my bike has been leaking oil (got a big puddle under it yesterday and a few drips today), but I can't tell where it's coming from because the entire motor and skid plate under neath are covered in oil, mainly from past oil changes, since the oil filter drips all its oil down the motor and into the skid plate when it's removed. I want to use an engine degreaser on everything, but will it be safe for the painted/powdercoated skid plate and other bits? Will it be OK on my aluminum and titanium exhaust?

How long should I let it sit? Are the "green" products better or worse than the stronger chemicals?
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

FlatBlackCaddy

Just make sure it's not acidic/caustic. Anything will work and if it's non acidic it shouldn't harm metal/paint finishes.

Byteme

Quote from: Cookie Monster on May 24, 2016, 12:39:34 PM
I have a dumb question - my bike has been leaking oil (got a big puddle under it yesterday and a few drips today), but I can't tell where it's coming from because the entire motor and skid plate under neath are covered in oil, mainly from past oil changes, since the oil filter drips all its oil down the motor and into the skid plate when it's removed. I want to use an engine degreaser on everything, but will it be safe for the painted/powdercoated skid plate and other bits? Will it be OK on my aluminum and titanium exhaust?

How long should I let it sit? Are the "green" products better or worse than the stronger chemicals?

Check the label. 

You can go to Wal-Mart and get their store brand pretty cheaply.  Or you can pay about a buck a can more and get Gunk.  Do yourself a favor and get Gunk. 

Cookie Monster

Can I get Gunk at Walmart? They don't have it at my local O'Reilly's and Autozone.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

CaminoRacer

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on May 22, 2016, 09:05:53 PM
I used their spray wax this weekend on the GTR after I washed it up. Actually pretty decent quick wax. Buffs of real nice and fast. Has a pretty decent feel to it.

my goodness :wub:
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MrH

Dat skyline doe :wub:

I found out I have Friday and Monday off.  Going to detail the vehicles this weekend :rockon:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Byteme

Quote from: Cookie Monster on May 24, 2016, 01:42:45 PM
Can I get Gunk at Walmart? They don't have it at my local O'Reilly's and Autozone.

I believe so. 

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: CaminoRacer on May 24, 2016, 01:46:46 PM
my goodness :wub:

Ya, I know, that trash bin is overflowing. I really shouldn't procrastinate too much on stuff like that, it's embarrassing.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

MrH

Alright, I'm not a detail guru.  I can do a typical car wash, light clear coat polish, wax, etc, but that's as far as my knowledge goes.

I'm thinking about buying a power washer for the house.  Anyone wash their car with one?  Seems like I can effectively create one of those booths they have at the car wash, but for a lot cheaper.  If there's a soap attachment, even better.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Lebowski

I got an electric pressure washer for the house a few months ago and recently picked up a foam cannon for it for the cars ... I haven't used it on cars yet, though. There are some videos on it out there.

giant_mtb

Yeah, you can buy car wash detergents for power washers.  Pressure is great for things like wheelwells, tires, and bugs.  Get a pressure washer with a built in detergent system...I'm guessing that's your plan if you're gonna wash your house. Then you don't need any other attachments; the soaps feed themselves directly into the system.   

FlatBlackCaddy

I bought an electric one from amazon, well reviewed, works pretty decent and it even works ok with my autogeek foam cannon.

I used to have a really spendy gas powered one but I just didn't like using it, too much of a hassle. The electric is nice and the one I got still comes with a decent wand and interchangable tip system.

http://www.amazon.com/Joe-SPX3000-Electric-Pressure-14-5-Amp/dp/B00CPGMUXW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1465248224&sr=8-3&keywords=pressure+washer

Byteme

Quote from: MrH on June 06, 2016, 08:54:51 AM
Alright, I'm not a detail guru.  I can do a typical car wash, light clear coat polish, wax, etc, but that's as far as my knowledge goes.

I'm thinking about buying a power washer for the house.  Anyone wash their car with one?  Seems like I can effectively create one of those booths they have at the car wash, but for a lot cheaper.  If there's a soap attachment, even better.

There isn't a power washer that cleans as well as a bucket of soapy water and a washing mitt.

I use one though.   But only to first rinse off any particulate material from the surface of the car.   Then I hand wash it and use the power washer to rinse the car.  I only use it because it uses far less water to accomplish the same thing a hose does. 

giant_mtb

Anyone ever use any Klasse brand products?  I've been using DP Policoat Sealant, but that bottle is about empty.  Works great, but I tend to jump around and try other stuff.  On customer cars, I use regular wax (Meg's #26), but I love sealants as they last longer...critical around here with a solid 5-6 months of snow, ice, and salt.  Once I get a shop, I'll probably expand my services and offer "upsells" such as sealant application instead of wax, or sealant + wax.

This is the one I'm looking at now:  http://www.autogeek.net/klashiggloss1.html

It says it can last up to 12 months.  I tend to just cut whatever number they say in half, but that's still pretty adequate to get through a winter, especially if it can keep the rail dust down.

giant_mtb

Also, anyone ever use any interior protectants?  Like for fabrics and carpeting?  I've had a couple customers ask about that kind of thing and I think it would be another good thing to be able to offer.  I've always thought of fabric protectors as sorta snake oil, but perhaps they do really work.

Byteme

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 23, 2016, 12:30:35 PM
Also, anyone ever use any interior protectants?  Like for fabrics and carpeting?  I've had a couple customers ask about that kind of thing and I think it would be another good thing to be able to offer.  I've always thought of fabric protectors as sorta snake oil, but perhaps they do really work.

I don't see anything wrong with something like scotchguard provided it's compatible with whatever fabric you are using it on.  I think it got the snake oil reputation in automotive circles because dealers sell a paint and interior protection package for a couple of hundred dollars that as far as the interior goes is a guy spending 15 minutes spraying a can or two of scotchgurard  on the fabric seats and carpet.

giant_mtb

Quote from: CLKid on August 23, 2016, 01:17:00 PM
I don't see anything wrong with something like scotchguard provided it's compatible with whatever fabric you are using it on.  I think it got the snake oil reputation in automotive circles because dealers sell a paint and interior protection package for a couple of hundred dollars that as far as the interior goes is a guy spending 15 minutes spraying a can or two of scotchgurard  on the fabric seats and carpet.

Yeah, basically. I suppose there's nothing wrong with scotch guard type stuff.  I've never really used it, so I guess I shouldn't knock it til I rock it.  Had a guy call today with a 2016 Sierra he wants me to "protect" inside/out, so I'm gonna seal it and try some scotch guard type stuff on it.

Morris Minor

I claybarred the CLK350 then used a cleaner/wax.  It looks great --- apart from the hood. It's smooth to the touch but I can see imperfections & tiny spots that I think are just the result of life being a black hood... over a hot engine... in a hot climate.

Guessing I should have used a mild compound cleaner before waxing?  Tips & hints appreciated.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

giant_mtb

Detailing season is upon me.  I've got some fresh chemicals on the way as well as an electric pressure washer that I'm pretty excited to have.  Will use less water and have higher pressure.  Excellent for really dirty things like trucks and wheel wells.  Also got a "shorty" wand that's basically just the trigger/handle body with a nozzle on it...great for tight spaces (wheel wells) compared to the silly 3' wands pressure washers come with.  And a foam gun for it.  Hopefully the pressure washer hose and aftermarket gun are the same ID M22 fitting for input or that I can easily put in a different fitting or a reducer to match them up. 

Also, I think I'm gonna pick up one of these underhood lights to use on interiors...can just use the clamps to mount it up high by fixing the clamps to the upper door jambs across the interior (kinda like one of those garment bars)!  Kinda pricey, but having lots of interior light is necessary, especially with dark interiors.  Using a flashlight while trying to vacuum is annoying and head lamps constantly require batteries and shit.  I have two dual-T8 fixtures on each side of the stall and one in front, but since they're up high, they don't throw much light inside the vehicle.

30W T8 (they make LED versions, but I'd rather have the floody fluorescent...can also swap it for an LED bulb later if I want).
http://a.co/fBgfUvC

FoMoJo

What kind of vacuum do you use?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."