The Detailing Thread

Started by giant_mtb, July 06, 2010, 09:58:16 PM

Submariner

That black Subaru looks particularly good in the 'after' shot. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Morris Minor

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 30, 2018, 08:13:00 AM
I use Zep Industrial Purple degreaser. Available by the gallon at my local/favorite hardware store, Menards.  I seldom recommend using steel wool of any kind on paint. Better to soak/wash/rinse/repeat than to scrub with something that abrasive. Not too much to worry about on white paint (doesn't show much in the way of clear coat scratches, but).

Bug&tar removal products are pretty hit or miss.  Degreaser really is the way to go.  Dissolves bug guts like nothing else and has a multitude of other uses for your garage needs.

I use this for bugs, tires, and wheel wells. It's very dilutible. I dilute into a 32oz spray bottle. A little goes a long way (I think the recommendation is somewhere around 4-6oz per gallon for heavy soils...I usually do 2-3oz per spray bottle, so it's plenty strong).

It's great stuff.  Your local hardware store should have an equivalent. ~$10/gal.
I bought this stuff and used it to remove the long-embedded squished bugs on my G37. It is awesome. Thank you.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

giant_mtb

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 27, 2018, 06:06:11 PM
I bought this stuff and used it to remove the long-embedded squished bugs on my G37. It is awesome. Thank you.

Nice!  Glad it worked out for you.

giant_mtb

Some recent projex.

Didn't snag any "before" pictures of this one...

Morris Minor

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 27, 2018, 06:50:10 PM
Some recent projex.

That was more or less the state of mine before the magic Zep treatment.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 28, 2018, 05:39:28 AM
That was more or less the state of mine before the magic Zep treatment.

Lighter colors are hell for bugs.  Glad you got it taken care of. Good stuff, eh? :rockon:

giant_mtb

Nice lookin' Ruby today.  Owner is the guy who bought the building behind mine.  He's planning to put a brewery/pub in there.  :rockon:

Decent amount of wiry dog hair, so that's always fun.

MrH

Those wheels are turrrrible.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

giant_mtb

They are odd.

It's a mall crawler.

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 30, 2018, 06:31:02 PM
With a plough hitch?

No, that's just a ridiculous bull bar.

This is what it would be like if it was decked out with a winch and shackles.

Soup DeVille

On actual rock crawlers, they call them stingers. Properly equipped crawlers can use them kinda like a reverse ramp.

This truck, even being a Rubicon, doesn't.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

93JC

They do a good job punching through other cars' crumple zones too. Unsafe as hell; no roadworthy car should have one.

giant_mtb

It's one of like 2 Wranglers around here that have them that I've seen.  I've never understood the point as none of them are set up as serious off roaders.  I guess it would be a great way to deflect a deer down instead of having it come up and crunch your hood, but damn.

Morris Minor

I love that color: can't make my mind up whether it's blue, or gray or green or a all three.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 31, 2018, 12:05:53 PM
I love that color: can't make my mind up whether it's blue, or gray or green or a all three.

In person, it's gray.  With a blue tinge, depending on your definition.  No green.

It is a nice color, though.

giant_mtb

Dig the color scheme on this RAM[/i].

SVT_Power

Took a few seconds to realize that's actually a two tone scheme, thought the bottom was darker just due to a reflection
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

giant_mtb

It started pourrrring rain about 5 minutes after I took the pictures.  Was satisfying to watch the water fall off of it.

CaminoRacer

lol did you have to wipe it off again?
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 31, 2018, 02:31:08 PM
lol did you have to wipe it off again?

Nah.  Considered it, but with a fresh coat of wax, the remaining water is just gonna run off once it's driven anyway.  The guy came to pick it up shortly after the rain stopped, so no worries.  I always apologize when that happens...mostly 'cause it's annoying to me that I just finished a 5-6 hour project and now it's getting rained on...but nobody cares.  "It was gonna get rained on eventually" is the typical response.  Plus the roads were probably still wet on his drive home, so it would have been fairly futile to bother.

"If I could control the weather, my profession wouldn't be detailing" is also another line I use.

12,000 RPM

Whats your take on ceramic coatings

Are they something I could apply with my random orbital?
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 02, 2018, 10:52:11 AM
Whats your take on ceramic coatings

Are they something I could apply with my random orbital?

To get the best out of them, you gotta put in the work.  Clay bar, etc.  Follow the directions for the product and you'll be pleased. There was wax, then synthetic sealants, and now ceramics. 

Liquid Glass was my first forray into synthetic coatings and that shit is incredible.

CaminoRacer

You gonna ceramic coat the whole car?

12,000 RPM

Insulating cabin heat = more efficient HVAC = free HP

Paint on the Kia is pretty good; hopefully won't need to do too much to prep.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 04, 2018, 05:58:39 PM
Insulating cabin heat = more efficient HVAC = free HP

Paint on the Kia is pretty good; hopefully won't need to do too much to prep.

Clay bar and rubbing alcohol. 

giant_mtb

Less than 10k miles on dis Equinox.  Even new cars will shine up nice.  Frackin' winters are harsh, man.  "Before" pics are inside 'cause I forgot to take them outside and wasn't gonna bother pulling it back out. lol

These new Equinoxes are pretty nice.  Didn't drive it, but the interior seemed decent, materials were good as far as feel and clean-ability goes.

CaminoRacer

I saw one of those yesterday. Seems like a nice ride.

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 09, 2018, 02:31:53 PM
I saw one of those yesterday. Seems like a nice ride.

Sure are better looking than the first gens...those had a pretty heavy Aztek vibe to them. haha.  Second gens were definitely an improvement, but I think they've nailed it with this latest gen.  We shall see how they age.

giant_mtb