Dodge offers first navigation system

Started by BMWDave, September 02, 2005, 07:42:58 AM

BMWDave

Dodge offers first navigation system in domestic full size truck
GREG BOWENS | Automotive News
Posted Date: 9/2/05
DETROIT - A luxury car staple has made its way into Dodge pickups.

The Chrysler group will offer a full-screen navigation system on its 2006 Dodge Ram pickup models. The system is made by Alpine Electronics Inc. and will cost about $1,500 as an option.

Dodge is scheduled to release 2006 Ram vehicle and option pricing on Thursday, Sept. 1.

The move is a first for a domestic automaker and a rarity in the pickup market.

For Dodge, the new system represents the most dramatic example of options migrating from cars and SUVs into trucks.

"We all have the image of a truck buyer," says Joe Veltri, Dodge's director of truck marketing and product planning. "It's a person who is a contractor. It's a person who works construction or who hunts and fishes or tows boats.

"But the new truck buyers are the family-type people. Those people demand features like the ones found in vehicles they are coming out of in other segments."

Dodge reports that 18 percent of those who bought new full-sized trucks during the first six months of the year switched from a car or SUV.

Dodge moved features to pickups from those segments as well. The 2006 Dodge Ram Mega Cab has the staple of the sedan: a sunroof. DVD players, folding rear seats and tinted rear passenger windows were items lifted from the minivan. The Ram also has poached from the Durango the steering wheel that can control the radio and other controls as well as the front storage bin designed to hold fast food containers.

These options are housed in more carlike surroundings such as faux wood panels, light-color carpets and heated seats.

Dodge created a new model to house all of the options. The Ram Mega Cab is expected to have a sticker price around $33,000. Dodge cut the length of its cargo bed by 2 feet to stretch the passenger cab by 20 inches. Dodge says that by adding length to the cab the company is now the only one that can install a sunroof and roof-mounted DVD system on the same vehicle in the truck segment.

Industry watchers say Dodge's decision to offer a full-screen navigation system means the division is serious about capturing more of the market.

"It's a great thing," says Don Montroy, an analyst with CSM Worldwide in Farmington Hills, Mich. "What surprises me is that as they go into other segments they are not offering the cheaper turn-by-turn navigation systems but the more expensive full-screen ones."

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

thewizard16

I was going to say, the Tundra has had a DVD nav system since the Double Cab came out, and the Titan has one as well. (both of which are US produced, with I'm pretty sure, a majority of domestic content) To say Dodge is the first is silly, and the whole domestic argument always gets messy, but oh well. Interesting to see Dodge is trying to snag a few of the higher-end pickup buyers.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

ifcar

Avalanche and Escalade EXT have navs. Are they not domestic full-size pickups?  

mazda6er

QuoteAvalanche and Escalade EXT have navs. Are they not domestic full-size pickups?
Clearly not.  :rolleyes:  
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

ifcar

I suppose for the purposes of Dodge's claim, they're SUVs. So the Ram is really the first, not the fifth. :rolleyes:

mazda6er

There goes that "innovative mid-gate" biting GM in the ass again. :lol: ;)
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

ifcar

It's not the midgate, it's the unibody setup (done for the midgate, but still) where Dodge no doubt found its asterisk.