You have four choices.

Started by Raza , July 22, 2010, 08:44:07 PM

Raza

1.  Car
2.  Concrete barrier
3.  Tire
4.  Car behind you

If you said 3, you now have a broken front bumper on your pride and joy.  Way to top of a shit horrible day.  Go out with people after work to try and forget how much you hate your job and how terrible your day was, and on the way home, you can't avoid a blown tire on the roadway.  I hit it doing about 65, and thought I was okay.  It went under the car and came out the other side.  When I got to the surface streets, I heard scraping at the peaks and valleys of hills.  Get home, take a look.  The bottom of the front bumper is hanging off, and that was what was scraping against the ground.  I fucking hate my life.  I had a horrible day at work and it ends like this.  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

J86

bummer dude.  Fortunately, bumpers are easily replaced.

CJ

Raza, I've been in your situation.  For me it was this:

1. Car next to the left
2. Car to the right
3. Bucket with concrete
4. Cars behind you

If you chose bucket with concrete in it, then you picked the right one!

AutobahnSHO

better than a tire WITH WHEEL IN THE MIDDLE. On a curvy interstate in the dark.

Cost my dad some motor/transmission mounts.

Sorry to hear though. .
Will

VTEC_Inside

Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

Raza

I'm going to try to get an estimate before I talk to my insurance company (I just switched companies, too, I don't want my premiums to go up).  First thing, what kind of claim would this be?  I've never made an insurance claim before. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

The news may not be as bad as I originally feared.  My buddy looked at it and it may be a separate piece:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

sportyaccordy

That's nothing man. You don't even have to report that to your insurance. Just get a front lip :ohyeah:

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on July 23, 2010, 07:24:08 AM
That's nothing man. You don't even have to report that to your insurance. Just get a front lip :ohyeah:

Yeah, I think I'm going to be okay.  I've got an appointment to drop it off at my dealer Monday at 9AM (luckily I'm on late shift) and they'll give me a loaner to keep overnight.  I love my dealer.  Makes me sad that I probably won't buy another VW there after this one (unless the Golf R has a stick, then maybe).  I think everything will be fine. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

GoCougs

Wowzers - maybe don't be so hard on yourself. It's a relatively easy fix.

Raza

Quote from: GoCougs on July 23, 2010, 09:34:27 AM
Wowzers - maybe don't be so hard on yourself. It's a relatively easy fix.

Yeah, analyzing it, it really was the only decision I could have made.  Sucks that it happened, but you're right, no point in obsessing over it now.  I'll just get it fixed and move on. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

AutobahnSHO

You could just cut it off and the vDub would never know.    :huh:
Will

Onslaught

I can't say this for sure without looking at the thing in person but that shouldn't be all that bad. It still sucks ass however.
It's possible the lower engine cover is messed up too. But that shouldn't add much to the price if it is.

the Teuton

It's official: We at least know Raza doesn't look like Lt. Dan.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

hotrodalex

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on July 22, 2010, 11:10:40 PM
better than a tire WITH WHEEL IN THE MIDDLE. On a curvy interstate in the dark.

Cost my dad some motor/transmission mounts.

Sorry to hear though. .

Try a mattress, box springs, and bed frame right in the middle of the interstate. I wasn't driving but luckily I told the girl driving to get over to the left early to get off the next exit and we simply passed by it. We saw the truck it fell off about a mile up the road. :lol:

Raza

I'm so confused.  This 2010 Jetta 2.5 drives so much better than the last 2010 Jetta 2.5 I drove.  The steering, brakes, and throttle are so much more natural, they're closer to my car.  Maybe it's in the spec?  The last Jetta I had was a higher line car, with leather, upgraded stereo, and it was definitely a different trim line.  This is absolutely a base car; looks like there are no options but the automatic transmission.  Perhaps the SEL model, or whatever they call it now, has the steering, brakes, and throttle tuned differently....

Anyway, I'll give it a full test while they have my car in.  Looks like it is going to be the lip and those splash guards under the car that need to be replaced.  Hopefully it won't take long to get it fixed and I can pick my car up tomorrow.  

It's been a rough couple of months for the Jetta and I.  First the intake fault, then I breeze through warranty, and now this.  I might have to get it a present (in the form of shocks/springs or a tune) soon.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

$306 installed.  I'll have my car back in tip top shape tomorrow, $640 lighter in the wallet, though (got my 40K service in as well). 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Add the new lower valance to the 40K tuneup, and the car is running better than new. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Submariner

You could have been rear ended by some teeny-bobing texting twat doing 15 over the limit...see, your day wasn't that bad!

In all honesty, it doesn't look terrible, but still it sucks.  I don't think it will be a major PITA to fix though, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.  :ohyeah: 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Raza  on July 27, 2010, 04:33:52 PM
Add the new lower valance to the 40K tuneup, and the car is running better than new. 

SHWEET!!
Will

MX793

Quote from: Raza  on July 27, 2010, 04:33:52 PM

Your car required an actual tuneup at 40K miles?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on July 27, 2010, 07:33:02 PM
Your car required an actual tuneup at 40K miles?

I don't know if you'd call it a "tuneup".  I got new sparkplugs, oil change, brake fluid change (I think).  I don't know what goes into a tuneup, really, it's just a word I've heard a billion times.  Didn't feel like saying "service".

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MX793

Quote from: Raza  on July 27, 2010, 07:34:34 PM
I don't know if you'd call it a "tuneup".  I got new sparkplugs, oil change, brake fluid change (I think).  I don't know what goes into a tuneup, really, it's just a word I've heard a billion times.  Didn't feel like saying "service".

Plugs at 40K?  My car calls for nothing but oil changes (and maybe an accessory belt change if they are worn or a new air filter if you operate in dusty conditions and it's really dirty) until like 75K miles.  At which point it calls for plugs and IIRC new coolant.  And when I pulled the old plugs at that point, they looked fine (no bad discoloration or fouling and the gap didn't appear too far off, if any).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on July 27, 2010, 07:39:01 PM
Plugs at 40K?  My car calls for nothing but oil changes (and maybe an accessory belt change if they are worn or a new air filter if you operate in dusty conditions and it's really dirty) until like 75K miles.  At which point it calls for plugs and IIRC new coolant.  And when I pulled the old plugs at that point, they looked fine (no bad discoloration or fouling and the gap didn't appear too far off, if any).

Pretty sure.  I remember him mentioning it.  I think I have the itemized list in my car, I can check it and post up when I get home.  The car was running fine, so perhaps it's just precautionary.  

Yup.  Oil and what not, spark plugs, air filter, brake fluid, rotation, visual inspection (cough), 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

The Phantom

Sue the state.  It was due to their negligence that the tire was still in the middle of the road.
"We?re surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."

mzziaz

That sucks, but the damage was pretty minor, and at leat it seems you chose the least bad option.
Cuore Sportivo

Raza

Quote from: The Phantom on July 31, 2010, 12:12:21 AM
Sue the state.  It was due to their negligence that the tire was still in the middle of the road.

There are so many things that the state could be sued for with regards to road maintenance.  I mean, if you strip the pavement and then add a top layer but don't finish the road, at least sweep the fucking gravel away so my drive to work doesn't make me feel like in Blackhawk Down. 

Either that, or they did finish is, and the road surface is just worse than before. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: mzziaz on July 31, 2010, 02:29:11 AM
That sucks, but the damage was pretty minor, and at leat it seems you chose the least bad option.

Yeah.  All healed up now, out of my mind completely.  Barring my credit card bill...

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i