Toyota to chop down the Sequoia

Started by Mustangfan2003, July 27, 2010, 11:27:40 AM

Mustangfan2003

"At it's peak in 2002, Toyota was selling over 70,000 Sequoias. Last year, that number dropped to below 20,000 units. So it comes as little surprise that ToMoCo will be nixing its Tundra-based SUV at the end of the current model's lifecycle.

A source speaking with PickupTrucks.com confirmed that the Sequoia won't live on, partially due to slow sales, but surely in part to get Toyota's CAFE ratings in check before the new rules hit in 2015. But all's not lost for the automaker's body-on-frame offerings.

A redesigned Tundra is set to arrive in 2014, just in time for Ford, General Motors and Nissan's newest half-ton pickups. Although sales of the Tundra haven't lived up to Toyota's lofty expectations, it's obvious the automaker feels the need to compete in the segment, and a refreshed model should help sales, despite the market's less-than-enthusiastic reception of Toyota's largest pickup."
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/27/report-toyota-to-kill-sequoia-tundra-redesigned-in-2014/

Makes sense to me, they had way too many SUVs anyway and they still have the Land Cruiser.  The Land Cruiser is a bit pricey at 65k but I guess they could offer some lower priced models.

Cookie Monster

Yeah, with the 4Runner and Land Cruiser, the Sequoia seemed unnecessary.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

SVT32V

Quote from: thecarnut on July 27, 2010, 12:06:45 PM
Yeah, with the 4Runner and Land Cruiser, the Sequoia seemed unnecessary.

The first two are in defined well populated segments:
4skinner-midsize -exploder, pathfinder, commander etc.
Sequoia - large -expedition, tahoe, Amarda

The land cruiser on the other hand doesn't really have a segment, it is too pricey to compete with the expedition/armada class, perhaps it only makes sense as a lexus.  But some vehicles are just niches much like the wrangler there really is no relevant competition and that is OK.

GoCougs

I'm not sure I'd call it unnecessary; the 4Runner is a mid-sizer and the Land Cruiser is astronomically expensive.

The Sequoia is best in class but that doesn't automatically equate into a best (or even good) seller.

the Teuton

Quote from: GoCougs on July 27, 2010, 07:34:03 PM
I'm not sure I'd call it unnecessary; the 4Runner is a mid-sizer and the Land Cruiser is astronomically expensive.

The Sequoia is best in class but that doesn't automatically equate into a best (or even good) seller.

Reverse Camry-ism?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

GoCougs

Quote from: the Teuton on July 27, 2010, 07:35:20 PM
Reverse Camry-ism?

Pretty much; even down to styling - Camry is decent but the Sequoia is (IMO) all sorts of ugly both in and out.

Mustangfan2003

Wonder if their decision was made mostly by CAFE?  Full size SUV's are basically some of the only SUV's that I see towing stuff so it will be interesting how CAFE will effect GM who sells the most full size SUV's.   

CJ

I'd have an Expedition over a Sequoia every day.  I love the Expedition's steering wheel and the way I feel behind the wheel.  It's awesome.

goldenlover1101

About time. Toyota's SUV line seems very redundant to me. Too many similarities between the different SUVs.

"The more people I meet the more I like my dog."

Mustangfan2003

Well the FJ is very different from the rest.  My girlfriends step dad has one and I don't really like it.  Seems like it tries too hard to look like an off roader. 

goldenlover1101

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on July 27, 2010, 09:25:46 PM
Well the FJ is very different from the rest.  My girlfriends step dad has one and I don't really like it.  Seems like it tries too hard to look like an off roader. 
Looks contrived, like a life sized tonka truck. But UNIQUE IT IS!!!

"The more people I meet the more I like my dog."

Mustangfan2003

Yeah it has that Tonka feel to it.  Seemed weird too having 3 wiper blades but what else can you do with such a small windshield.  Aren't they going to phase out the FJ too?

SVT32V

Quote from: GoCougs on July 27, 2010, 07:34:03 PM

Hard to sell an uber-expensive LC in a showroom full of plebeian corrolacamrys.

Finally now that the sequoia has a decent engine (the 4.7 was woefully inadequate in such a barge) it is getting the axe.

Raza

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on July 27, 2010, 11:26:45 PM
Yeah it has that Tonka feel to it.  Seemed weird too having 3 wiper blades but what else can you do with such a small windshield.  Aren't they going to phase out the FJ too?

The MG Midget had three wiper blades as well.  My old Mercedes only had one. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tave

I'm a big fan of the FJ, funny looks and all, but I don't think I'd buy one over a Wrangler, although it might be the smarter choice.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Atomic

isn't there a lexus version of the sequoia, or is it based on the land cruiser?

another point to those mentioned above:

toyota has the popular rav4 (no threat for sure), the highlander (including a hybrid) and the surprisingly pleasing to the eyes venza crossover... and a couple of luxus suv's (i.e. hybrid editions), so the number of awd's within toyota corporation is pretty high, indeed. i am pretty fond of many of these, but as stated elsewhere, am currently enamored by the 2011 jeep grand cherokee overland - but not so much at the debut, rather after a couple of extensive trips in my buddy's new '11 jgc. still, i am more apt at the moment to look more closely at the mazda cx-9, volvo xc60 and volkswagon sel. i am all over the place, eh? lol!