2011 BMW 520d: four-cylinder engine and 57.6mpg

Started by cawimmer430, July 28, 2010, 05:05:57 AM

cawimmer430

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on November 07, 2010, 08:00:53 PM
Mine is a 2002 and the Mustang II was garbage.  Anyways back on diesels, I hear Audi will offer more here which is good. 

I saw a 2002 shape Mustang a few days ago. I think I even posted the photo in my American car sightings thread. Might have even been some sort of Cobra model because of the snake emblem on the side.

Last garbage question! Which of these would you take:

-Ford Pinto
-Mercury Bobcat
-Ford Mustang II

:lol:

I hope Audi brings over more diesels. And VW to. The US really could use a VW Multivan TDI.  :rockon:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Mustangfan2003

From your choices I take walking and doubt we get any real VW vans anytime soon with the Chrysler built Crouton

The ads here even talk about how German it is  :facepalm:

Galaxy

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on November 07, 2010, 07:57:17 PM
I've seen a few some Bosch parts on my Mustang too  :lol:

I don't think there is a car on the world which does not have some Bosch parts. Even the Tata Nano uses Bosch.

Galaxy

Quote from: hounddog on November 03, 2010, 10:23:21 AM
Not really. 

Purchasing in Canada and importing is mostly barracaded by automaker imposed non-service on warranties.

Otherwise, people would still be buying over there and coming here.

That, and the Canadian dollar strength right now stops it as well.

I was talking about something totally alien for the US, like grabbing a Renault from a european dealer and bringing it the the US.

Galaxy

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on November 07, 2010, 08:23:22 PM
From your choices I take walking and doubt we get any real VW vans anytime soon with the Chrysler built Crouton

That should be considered as false advertisment

cawimmer430

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on November 07, 2010, 08:23:22 PM

The only German thing on it is its unreliability!!! Overpriced, unreliable German POS!!!  :rage:

:thumbsup:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Mustangfan2003

Actually I think this thing is pretty expensive, I think it cost the same as a Town and Country. 

cawimmer430

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on November 09, 2010, 11:09:58 AM
Actually I think this thing is pretty expensive, I think it cost the same as a Town and Country. 

That probably explains why sales are so low.

Some Germans even thought about importing them from the US but then they found out the only engine option is a gas-guzzling V6...

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Mustangfan2003

Chrysler sells vans in Europe don't they?  I was thinking they offered a diesel for that market. 

cawimmer430

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on November 09, 2010, 12:24:11 PM
Chrysler sells vans in Europe don't they?  I was thinking they offered a diesel for that market. 

They still do. They're even pretty popular. But the Volkswagen Routan isn't offered with a diesel so it won't sell here at all. Nobody wants an overpowered gas-guzzling V6 in their minivan in Europe. The market for such cars is so small. Mercedes offers the Viano with a 3.5-l V6 and they're selling so poorly.

I drove a 2002 Chrysler Voyager 2.5 CRD. I have no idea where the engine came from but it was Italian-designed and made. That's all I know about it. Loud and rough, but the acceleration and midrange power was pretty decent.

Here are some photos of it. Ah, the old Fujifilm 4700 FinePix camera...on a nice day like this it ups the ISO. FAIL.  :facepalm:  :praise:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

2o6

I freaking love the fact that you can get one of those with a MT gearshift. It's probably nothing special, but it seems like it'd be an odd experience.

Mustangfan2003

cawimmer430

The manual was pretty rubbery, vague and basically crap. But the car was pretty agile in the straights where the diesel torque and the fact that you row your own gears made it pretty...what's the word...sporty!  :confused:

Of course when the first corners came this thing felt like it was going to tip over. The suspension was so soft and plushy that I actually had to slow down before every corner because you could just feel the center of gravity on this thing was going to cause problems.  :ohyeah:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

AltinD

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on November 09, 2010, 08:07:48 PM
Weird to see any minivan with a manual. 

The manual is because of the diesel engine.

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

AltinD

Quote from: cawimmer430 on November 09, 2010, 03:05:42 PM
Nobody wants an overpowered gas-guzzling V6 in their minivan in Europe.

LOL Chriss, a "gas-guzzling V6" a V6 and in a 2 ton minivan of all vehicles. Come on man, a I4 will guzzle even more gas on that vehicle. What makes sense is a diesel engine and that's why the V6 models doesn't sell ... so they don't sell because they're petrol, no because they have 6 and not 4 cyclinders.

AltinD

To put things in prospective: My '08 250HP 3.2L V6 Passat 4Motion, has a slightly better fuel economy then my previous '02 115HP 2.0 I4 Passat FWD.

cawimmer430

Quote from: AltinD on November 11, 2010, 06:00:57 AM
LOL Chriss, a "gas-guzzling V6" a V6 and in a 2 ton minivan of all vehicles. Come on man, a I4 will guzzle even more gas on that vehicle. What makes sense is a diesel engine and that's why the V6 models doesn't sell ... so they don't sell because they're petrol, no because they have 6 and not 4 cyclinders.

Best-selling Viano and Multivan/Transporters in Europe are 4-cylinder diesels. You know that you can buy "luxury" versions of the Viano and Multivan/Transporter and most of them are still bought with the 4-cylinder diesel engines.  :ohyeah:

Is the current VW Multivan/Transporter even offered with a V6? I know the Viano comes with a 3.5 V6 but they're so rare.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Mustangfan2003

Quote from: AltinD on November 11, 2010, 05:57:31 AM
The manual is because of the diesel engine.

Yeah but you can get a diesel Jetta with an automatic. 

AltinD

Quote from: cawimmer430 on November 11, 2010, 06:05:41 AM
Best-selling Viano and Multivan/Transporters in Europe are 4-cylinder diesels. You know that you can buy "luxury" versions of the Viano and Multivan/Transporter and most of them are still bought with the 4-cylinder diesel engines.  :ohyeah:

Is the current VW Multivan/Transporter even offered with a V6? I know the Viano comes with a 3.5 V6 but they're so rare.

DIESEL is the key word Chriss. There is no petrol 4 cylinder offered on those vehicles ... and yes, the VW Multivan/Transporter is available in V6. Luxo people transporters use the V6 petrol but cargo ones only use the diesel engine.

AltinD

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on November 11, 2010, 06:39:10 AM
Yeah but you can get a diesel Jetta with an automatic. 

That Minivan is old and older A/T weren't well paired with the diesel engines. Now with the availibility of 6sp A/T is possible to match them ... although VW uses ONLY DSG with their diesels. However what they offer in NA doesn't mean anything cause for them is just a market to send their stripper models.