2011 BMW 520d: four-cylinder engine and 57.6mpg

Started by cawimmer430, July 28, 2010, 05:05:57 AM

cawimmer430

Man, BMW shouldn't even bother selling this underpowered POS in the US since a base model Honda lawnmower has more power and accelerates faster to 60 mph.  :facepalm:

2011 BMW 520d: four-cylinder engine and 57.6mpg

As expected, Bmw revealed today the 2011 520d, an entry-level version of its latest sedan powered by a 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine capable to deliver an impressive fuel consumption of 57.6mpg (54.3mpg) and unrivalled emission levels of 129g/km (137g/km for automatic transmission-equipped cars).

Although many of you would believe that this engine is way too small for the new sedan, Bmw says that its 184 hp delivered at 4,000rpm and 380Nm from 1,900 to 2,750rpm are enough to push the car from 0 to 62 mph in just 8.1 seconds while the top speed achieved is 141 mph.

The engine can be mated to a manual transmission fitted with an Auto Start-Stop function but also to an eight-speed automatic transmission.

If the 520d is not enough for you, then you can choose the 530d with its 3.0-liter engine and 204 hp, the 530d with 245 hp and 44.8 mpg in combined cycle or the 535d flagship which will come with 300 hp, a naught to 62 mph time of 5.7 seconds, a top speed of 155 mph and an impressive 46.3mpg.

Or you can also choose the 528i and 523i which have a version of High Precision Direct Injection with a greater focus on efficiency delivering 36.2mpg and 37.2mpg. The most powerful version of the 5-Series is the 550i which comes with the winning twin-turbocharged 4.4-litre V8 delivering 407hp.

Link: http://www.4wheelsnews.com/2011-bmw-520d-four-cylinder-engine-and-576mpg/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

3.0L V6

BMW shouldn't sell this in the US because few people will buy it. I imagine that BMW is interested in maximizing profit, as most companies are.

It is cool tech, don't get me wrong, but like hybrid luxury cars in Europe, it just won't sell.

sportyaccordy

$50K 4 banger luxury car... the plane will not take off the treadmill

mzziaz

That 520D has an awesome engine. My top choice if I were to buy a new 5er.
Cuore Sportivo

sportyaccordy

Quote from: mzziaz on July 28, 2010, 08:41:19 AM
That 520D has an awesome engine. My top choice if I were to buy a new 5er.
I doubt you would say this if you didn't have to pay $8/gallon for gas.

2o6

Quote from: sportyaccordy on July 28, 2010, 08:47:17 AM

Who doesn't want almost 60MPG?

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: 3.0L V6 on July 28, 2010, 05:57:13 AM
BMW shouldn't sell this in the US because few people will buy it. I imagine that BMW is interested in maximizing profit, as most companies are.

It is cool tech, don't get me wrong, but like hybrid luxury cars in Europe, it just won't sell.

I still don't understand how they can't hand this to a good marketing firm and not make money selling it in the US. The Prius sells amazingly well and all the marketing firm has to do is make a commercial that says "better fuel economy than a Prius, luxury you can feel good about" OR some bullshit like that. I guarantee people will buy the shit out of it after good commercials, because those are good numbers.

Submariner

Why not sell it in a lighter three series?  I would imagine it would be around the same cost as the base petrol version over here, and the lighter 3 would return better acceleration and consumption due to it's lower weight.

Not too long ago, 184 HP in a 3 series wasn't half bad. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

3.0L V6

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on July 28, 2010, 09:07:41 AM

I still don't understand how they can't hand this to a good marketing firm and not make money selling it in the US. The Prius sells amazingly well and all the marketing firm has to do is make a commercial that says "better fuel economy than a Prius, luxury you can feel good about" OR some bullshit like that. I guarantee people will buy the shit out of it after good commercials, because those are good numbers.

Ok - but to make a profit on it to pay for the additional cost of the (four cylinder) diesel engine and the costs of certifications with the EPA, you'd likely have to price it above the mid-level six-cylinder gasoline version. It's a tough sell when you have to explain why the more expensive choice makes less power. Extreme fuel economy isn't a big selling point in the luxury market.

I could see the large six cylinder diesel version coming to the US - as a volume of engines could be spread around multiple vehicles (3 series, 5 series, X3, X5, etc.)

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: 3.0L V6 on July 28, 2010, 09:33:28 AM
Ok - but to make a profit on it to pay for the additional cost of the (four cylinder) diesel engine and the costs of certifications with the EPA, you'd likely have to price it above the mid-level six-cylinder gasoline version. It's a tough sell when you have to explain why the more expensive choice makes less power. Extreme fuel economy isn't a big selling point in the luxury market.

I could see the large six cylinder diesel version coming to the US - as a volume of engines could be spread around multiple vehicles (3 series, 5 series, X3, X5, etc.)

I don't believe the fuel economy--very good fuel economy at that--has really been tried in the luxury market. The people who would buy it in the Northeast and the West Coast alone would justify bringing it over.

I don't know the costs involved with the EPA.

It has less power than the similarly priced six-cylinder engine, however the six-cylinder has approximately half as good gas mileage and that is a lot.

I think it has serious potential in the United States and those companies have never tried that formula in the United States in the past 10 years.

Also, the large diesel engines have apparently not been selling very well (despite the fact that I've seen tons of diesel X5's, GL's and ML's  :confused:) and I think it's because they're slower with only somewhat better mileage.

mzziaz

Quote from: sportyaccordy on July 28, 2010, 08:47:17 AM

Dunno. But 184 hp in a torqey diesel isn?t bad , even in a 5er, imo.
Cuore Sportivo

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: mzziaz on July 28, 2010, 09:46:20 AM
Dunno. But 184 hp in a torqey diesel isn?t bad , even in a 5er, imo.

They sold a bunch of 525i's (E60 I'm talkin bout) when they were out :huh:

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on July 28, 2010, 09:39:48 AM

I don't believe the fuel economy--very good fuel economy at that--has really been tried in the luxury market. The people who would buy it in the Northeast and the West Coast alone would justify bringing it over.

I don't know the costs involved with the EPA.

It has less power than the similarly priced six-cylinder engine, however the six-cylinder has approximately half as good gas mileage and that is a lot.

I think it has serious potential in the United States and those companies have never tried that formula in the United States in the past 10 years.

Also, the large diesel engines have apparently not been selling very well (despite the fact that I've seen tons of diesel X5's, GL's and ML's  :confused:) and I think it's because they're slower with only somewhat better mileage.
There just seems to be something fundamentally flawed in marketing it that way in America. If one wants to be green, why get a big luxury car? A 5 series, even one that gets 60MPG, doesn't have the environmental cachet of a biodiesel W123 or solar-panel roofed Prius. It's a big imposing car and just doesn't say "green". I can't see it catching on somewhere like San Fran or Park Slope.

Then in the regular luxury realm, IDK... gas mileage is important, but if you're dropping 50 large on a car it doesn't seem like gas mileage would be a big concern; especially given how small a part of the cost of ownership fuel would be. Financing would be like 700-800/mo, insurance would be w/e (150-200?) while gas, even at a low 20MPG avg @ 15K miles a year would only be like 200/mo. So financially its meh. Marketing-wise, it's slow and still has the GM diesel albatross hanging from it. As much sense as diesel makes, I just don't see it catching on in the luxury market. I think a diesel Corolla or w/e on the other hand would fly off the shelves. That is a car whose market really values gas mileage.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on July 28, 2010, 09:39:48 AM

How is this relevant? I mean speed or 0-60 in a friggin SUV?  :facepalm:

If I want a fast car, I'll buy a fast car but an SUV to me a is working/family vehicle and speed or acceleration is completely irrelevant to me in such a car.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: sportyaccordy on July 28, 2010, 10:05:32 AM
There just seems to be something fundamentally flawed in marketing it that way in America. If one wants to be green, why get a big luxury car? A 5 series, even one that gets 60MPG, doesn't have the environmental cachet of a biodiesel W123 or solar-panel roofed Prius. It's a big imposing car and just doesn't say "green". I can't see it catching on somewhere like San Fran or Park Slope.

Then in the regular luxury realm, IDK... gas mileage is important, but if you're dropping 50 large on a car it doesn't seem like gas mileage would be a big concern; especially given how small a part of the cost of ownership fuel would be. Financing would be like 700-800/mo, insurance would be w/e (150-200?) while gas, even at a low 20MPG avg @ 15K miles a year would only be like 200/mo. So financially its meh. Marketing-wise, it's slow and still has the GM diesel albatross hanging from it. As much sense as diesel makes, I just don't see it catching on in the luxury market. I think a diesel Corolla or w/e on the other hand would fly off the shelves. That is a car whose market really values gas mileage.

I know that a lot of rich people don't want to get a shittier car (Prius), but do want to "be good to the environment."

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 28, 2010, 10:16:00 AM
How is this relevant? I mean speed or 0-60 in a friggin SUV?  :facepalm:

If I want a fast car, I'll buy a fast car but an SUV to me a is working/family vehicle and speed or acceleration is completely irrelevant to me in such a car.

The same way it's relevant in a car?

cawimmer430

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on July 28, 2010, 10:26:32 AM

The same way it's relevant in a car?

The GL550 does 0-60 in what? 6.5/7 seconds and the GL320 CDI does it in the high 7s or 8 second range. What's the difference?  :huh:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 28, 2010, 10:27:26 AM
The GL550 does 0-60 in what? 6.5/7 seconds and the GL320 CDI does it in the high 7s or 8 second range. What's the difference?  :huh:

Well, from this the difference would be 8-6.5=1.5   8-7=1    7-7=0

And isn't the GL550 more like 6.0? (and damn is that a fast SUV :lol:)

Same argument with the car.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on July 28, 2010, 10:29:33 AM

Well, from this the difference would be 8-6.5=1.5   8-7=1    7-7=0

And isn't the GL550 more like 6.0? (and damn is that a fast SUV :lol:)

Same argument with the car.

Well, the bottom line is that the GL550 will be quicker, but the gas mileage will blow. The GL320 CDI isn't slow, and the gas mileage is better.  :ohyeah:

I really don't see how a 1.5 or 2 second 0-60 delay in the GL320 CDI is a "problem". The American obsession with 0-60 / 1/4 mile is something I will probably never understand.  :tounge:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

3.0L V6

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 28, 2010, 10:31:50 AM

I really don't see how a 1.5 or 2 second 0-60 delay in the GL320 CDI is a "problem". The American obsession with 0-60 / 1/4 mile is something I will probably never understand.  :tounge:

Indeed.

Colonel Cadillac

Well, the bottom line is that the GL550 will be quicker, but the gas mileage will blow. The GL320 CDI isn't slow, and the gas mileage is better.  :ohyeah:

So you don't like the feeling of being pushed back in your seat?

GoCougs

Of course driven like a regular person this car won't get anywhere near 58 mpg - more like 38 mpg. This car would sell worse than the 335d, which has been a disaster - BMW unlike M-B does not have a legacy of selling diesels in the US.

There's no material reason to buy a diesel in the US - the mpg vs. higher cost payback is an extended period and all attributes are noticeable worse - NVH, smell, throttle response, and acceleration.

Mustangfan2003

On problem I see with the 335D is nobody really knows about it.  Unlike VW and Audi I've yet to see BMW air an ad for diesel. 

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: GoCougs on July 28, 2010, 10:53:08 AM
Of course driven like a regular person this car won't get anywhere near 58 mpg - more like 38 mpg. This car would sell worse than the 335d, which has been a disaster - BMW unlike M-B does not have a legacy of selling diesels in the US.

There's no material reason to buy a diesel in the US - the mpg vs. higher cost payback is an extended period and all attributes are noticeable worse - NVH, smell, throttle response, and acceleration.

Extended range and thus efficiency

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on July 28, 2010, 11:04:11 AM
On problem I see with the 335D is nobody really knows about it.  Unlike VW and Audi I've yet to see BMW air an ad for diesel. 

Great point, people have no idea about the advantages of a diesel.

CALL_911

I don't know, man. I was at the BMW dealer with my dad last weekend and we were discussing the 335d. It's actually a bit cheaper than the 335i (with the tax credit), and it definitely gets better gas mileage. The torque that thing has is ridiculous, acceleration is certainly not a problem. I couldn't comment on throttle response. Smell, I don't know if that's still the issue it was in the '80s.

Then again, diesel fuel is MUCH more expensive than gasoline in the US.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Mustangfan2003

QuoteThen again, diesel fuel is MUCH more expensive than gasoline in the US.

Actually, in my parts atleast, diesel is pretty much the same price as premium which is what all the gas powered BMWs require. 

CALL_911

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on July 28, 2010, 11:50:04 AM
Actually, in my parts atleast, diesel is pretty much the same price as premium which is what all the gas powered BMWs require. 

It's different here, then. I can't recall exactly how much, but diesel is even more than 91-93 octane in this area.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Mustangfan2003

Last time I filled up my Benz diesel was about 2.80 a gallon.  People have been asking me if I'm ever going to convert it to run on bio-fuel but not sure if I want to go to every restaurant in town and collect grease. 

sportyaccordy

Well, the bottom line is that the GL550 will be quicker, but the gas mileage will blow. The GL320 CDI isn't slow, and the gas mileage is better.  :ohyeah:

I really don't see how a 1.5 or 2 second 0-60 delay in the GL320 CDI is a "problem". The American obsession with 0-60 / 1/4 mile is something I will probably never understand.  :tounge:
It's not the statistics, its wondering whether or not the acceleration + performance will be adequate. How often do you load up a car with like 5 passengers and their luggage? You don't want a car that will go from just being adequate to a complete dog once it's loaded up. It doesn't help that Americans are generally fatter than Europeans either. It's a legitimate complaint.

I guarantee if European countries lifted the prohibitive laws and taxes that make gas so expensive, your engine choices would more mirror those of America and Australia. Europeans buy the smallest engines they can bear because that is what they can afford, not because that's what they want.

Good points. A diesel BMW just doesn't seem to make sense. A huge part of BMW's appeal is in its gas engines because of their sound & response.  Plus the cost of diesel fluctuates more with geography & time. Even if the raw MPGs are higher the cost efficiency might not be.

I am curious to see how they would structure the pricing on this.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on July 28, 2010, 10:39:19 AM
So you don't like the feeling of being pushed back in your seat?

I do.

And even a BMW 118i with 143-horsepower can do that. I just did it an hour ago as I returned home from a night out with some friends. I don't need some GL550 to get that feeling.  ;)

www.wimmerfotografie.de