Luxury commuter car?

Started by Morris Minor, July 28, 2010, 12:35:10 PM

Morris Minor

My commute is about an hour each way through stop start traffic. Many idle hours in the car have led me to speculate on what the ideal commuter car would look like. You see, I want all the luxuries but I don't want the bulk and expense of a large luxury car. Imagine a Nissan Sentra, or Ford Focus, or Toyota Corolla but with a six speed auto, heated & cooled seats, climate control, silence, decent sound system: the amenities, in short, that you'd expect to find in a Lexus LS 460, but in a small sedan with respectable fuel economy.

My Pilot is too big, too unwieldy and drinks too much gas. I drove the G35 Coupe into Atlanta today; it's nice, but demands too much in heavy traffic - I don't wanna deal with a manual transmission. A couple of weeks ago I brought in the Scion tC. It has the requisite lack of mass but does not have the luxuries.

Would there be any profit in a super luxury small(ish) car? Do refinement and coddling demand engines with more than four cylinders and two liters?
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

68_427

Buick Regal?
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

CALL_911

My mother's commute is the same way. She picked an Audi A4. She loves it.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

Cookie Monster

I would love a 320d for your type of commute.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Vinsanity

I thought such an idea would be silly until I started slogging though real rush-hour traffic. Now, it doesn't seem so bad. The Lexus HS was a potential strong candidate for this type of car until it turned out to have so-so mpg and disappointing driving dynamics. Audi A3 TDI is a good one. What can our resident Canadians tell us about the Acura Civic Hybrid?

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

Vinsanity

Quote from: 68_427 on July 28, 2010, 12:51:32 PM
Lexus CT200h?

ugly stick on wheels.

a diesel C-class would be a nice choice, though

2o6

CJ

sportyaccordy

What are your must haves? It's a tough call but I think the 1st gen TSX would best serve your needs. Relatively luxurious, spacious enough, great driving dynamics, relatively engaging (but economic) powertrain, and most importantly CHEAP. You could probably find a relatively low mileage one for 15K no problem.

Jon?

Quote from: 68_427 on July 28, 2010, 12:37:16 PM
Buick Regal?

+1.  Reliable, cheap to keep up and drives pretty well if you can find a GS in decent shape.

Current Rides: 2011 VW Golf TDi, 2008 Pontiac Vibe

68_427

Quote from: Jon? on July 28, 2010, 01:17:16 PM
+1.  Reliable, cheap to keep up and drives pretty well if you can find a GS in decent shape.

I was thinking new one. 
'racecar is die'
no

2o6

Quote from: Jon? on July 28, 2010, 01:17:16 PM

That interior doesn't seem very luxurious......in comparison to the cars we're recommending.

CALL_911

Quote from: sportyaccordy on July 28, 2010, 01:13:45 PM
What are your must haves? It's a tough call but I think the 1st gen TSX would best serve your needs. Relatively luxurious, spacious enough, great driving dynamics, relatively engaging (but economic) powertrain, and most importantly CHEAP. You could probably find a relatively low mileage one for 15K no problem.

That was my other suggestion. My sister has one, it's a great little car.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

2o6

You might be able to get a deal on an S40. Not many people warmed up to them.

CJ

Quote from: 2o6 on July 28, 2010, 01:22:53 PM
You might be able to get a deal on an S40. Not many people warmed up to them.

Are you kidding?  They're everywhere in these parts.  EVERYWHERE.

Morris Minor

Quote from: sportyaccordy on July 28, 2010, 01:13:45 PM
That's a good choice; maybe a little skewed to "sporting luxury" rather than "luxury" but very nice, a classic from the golden era when not all Acuras were so ugly that one had to avert one's eyes.

Vinsanity

S40's seemed popular enough, but I did see some pretty good deals out there last time I looked.

Also, somehow I thought this was just a theoretical exercise :mask: but if Morris is looking, maybe a Lincoln Fusion Hybrid might be worth a gander. It's just the same old story, being a fully-equipped Ford, but it manages to look like a winner compared to the Lexus HS.

68_427

Quote from: Vinsanity on July 28, 2010, 01:36:45 PM
S40's seemed popular enough, but I did see some pretty good deals out there last time I looked.

Also, somehow I thought this was just a theoretical exercise :mask: but if Morris is looking, maybe a Lincoln Fusion Hybrid might be worth a gander. It's just the same old story, being a fully-equipped Ford, but it manages to look like a winner compared to the Lexus HS.

It has standard heated and cooled seats too.  Something Morris mentioned in his OP.

It also starts at the same MSRP as the base FWD car.
'racecar is die'
no

Raza

GTI or Golf TDI.  DSG (I think the TDI has a DSG as well, but I'm not sure) available, great fuel economy, and many of the amenities you can get in a 3 series for 15K less.  Great fun with great efficiency too.  If you want a solid feeling car that isn't a luxury car, it has to be Volkswagen. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Raza  on July 28, 2010, 01:42:22 PM
GTI or Golf TDI.  DSG (I think the TDI has a DSG as well, but I'm not sure) available, great fuel economy, and many of the amenities you can get in a 3 series for 15K less.  Great fun with great efficiency too.  If you want a solid feeling car that isn't a luxury car, it has to be Volkswagen. 

I was going to say Jetta TDI, but that works too.

Submariner

Quote from: thecarnut on July 28, 2010, 12:47:32 PM
I would love a 320d for your type of commute.

+600

Of course, to get features like SatNav, power seats, Xenon headlights, etc, it could get pricey. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Tave

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 28, 2010, 12:35:10 PM
I drove the G35 Coupe into Atlanta today; it's nice, but demands too much in heavy traffic - I don't wanna deal with a manual transmission.

The new G37 coupe is available with a 7-speed auto, as is the 2009 model.

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

sportyaccordy

We need to know the price cap and if it has to be new.

goldenlover1101

Definitely A3 would be my choice given your requirements.

"The more people I meet the more I like my dog."

Morris Minor

Quote from: Vinsanity on July 28, 2010, 01:36:45 PM

Yes, this is a theoretical exercise. 10/10th handling and blinding acceleration aren't as important as insulating the driver from the tedium of overcrowded roads. I was trying to visualize something about the size of Corolla but without the "built down to a price" feel.

2o6

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 28, 2010, 02:53:56 PM
Yes, this is a theoretical exercise. 10/10th handling and blinding acceleration aren't as important as insulating the driver from the tedium of overcrowded roads. I was trying to visualize something about the size of Corolla but without the "built down to a price" feel.

Jetta.

CJ

Golf TDI fits your criteria, I believe.