Give me an effing break

Started by SVT666, July 30, 2010, 10:08:51 AM

SVT666

VW SELF-CENSORS TO APPEASE PRESSURE GROUPS
By Mark Kleis

Each day, the legal system in America becomes progressively more invasive, more absurd and more dangerous, both to companies and to private citizens. Through the fear of liability, pressure groups are able to curtail free speech in a way that no U.S. administration could ever dream of doing ? yet.

Even comedy must be prefaced by a small essay of legal jargon to ensure viewers don?t attempt to apply the absurdities therein to their lives. There was a time when one could watch a commercial or read a newsprint ad and realize that the advertisement was exactly that ? an advertisement. When the ads were clearly satirical or completely outrageous, they were viewed as such.

Those days appear to be gone. The latest victim of of the trigger-happy legal climate is Volkswagen. The company?s latest advertisement, ?Shoot the Gap,? was felled without a single legal shot being fired. All it took was a
Facebook group with a few hundred crybabies to scare VW into pulling the ad.

The 30 second spot features a young couple test-driving a new Jetta with the guidance of a VW salesman. The self-proclaimed ?conservative drivers? show little interest in the car?s Autobahn roots, until they?re presented with an opportunity to ?shoot the gap? between a pair of semis on the freeway. Oh, the horror!

hotrodalex

:facepalm:

What was even wrong with it? Should we pull all the sports car commercials that show them doing donuts and drifting? What about that BFGoodrich commercial where they were drifting around a track just inches from the wall? OMG that's dangerous it will teach our kids to do that!!!!1!!

sportyaccordy

Quote from: hotrodalex on July 30, 2010, 10:17:21 AM
:facepalm:

What was even wrong with it? Should we pull all the sports car commercials that show them doing donuts and drifting? What about that BFGoodrich commercial where they were drifting around a track just inches from the wall? OMG that's dangerous it will teach our kids to do that!!!!1!!
Those are next, now that you mention it. However, violent movies are still fair game.

Jon?

If I don't see a 'Do Not Attempt' disclaimer at some point in the commerical, I AM FUCKING ATTEMPTING IT!!!!!

Current Rides: 2011 VW Golf TDi, 2008 Pontiac Vibe

Tave

Quote from: Jon? on July 30, 2010, 10:40:23 AM
If I don't see a 'Do Not Attempt' disclaimer at some point in the commerical, I AM FUCKING ATTEMPTING IT!!!!!

I'll represent you in your suit against VW after the semi trucks turn you into a human taco. We'll make millions.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Jon?

Quote from: Tave on July 30, 2010, 10:45:32 AM
I'll represent you in your suit against VW after the semi trucks turn you into a human taco. We'll make millions.

You can shove my cash through my breathing tube.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Tave on July 30, 2010, 10:45:32 AM
Then Jon can finally carry out his dream...

Jon?

'Loose one turn'.  I missed that the first time I saw it.  Awesome.

SVT32V

I found the other VW commercial talking about he autobahn to be hilarious, at first I thought they were seriously trying to sell people that VWs are some kind of autobahn monsters. Then I realized they are probably making fun of themselves or the fools that would actually think autobahn and VWs.

AltinD

Quote from: SVT32V on July 30, 2010, 02:10:40 PM
I found the other VW commercial talking about he autobahn to be hilarious, at first I thought they were seriously trying to sell people that VWs are some kind of autobahn monsters. Then I realized they are probably making fun of themselves or the fools that would actually think autobahn and VWs.

Yeah, what a German car has to do with Autobahns? Autobahn is for Civics, Corollas, Camrys and Crapalliers :facepalm:

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

SVT32V

Quote from: AltinD on July 31, 2010, 01:13:16 PM
Yeah, what a German car has to do with Autobahns? Autobahn is for Civics, Corollas, Camrys and Crapalliers :facepalm:
double :facepalm: :facepalm:
:rolleyes:
Obviously any car can go on the autobahn, but the insinuation is that VWs are cruising the autobahn at a 190 mph like a porsche 997 GT2.

Look VWs are nice cars, nicer than your avg plebeian car, but nonetheless they are still fwd based cars for the proletariat and not supercars or even exceptional performing cars.

Save for the phantom phateon, there isn't much from VW that I would want to cruise at 140 mph or more.

2o6

Solid steering, suspension tuned for high speeds......

Cookie Monster

Quote from: 2o6 on July 31, 2010, 06:52:56 PM
Solid steering, suspension tuned for high speeds......
Drum brakes, beam suspension....

:devil: :lol:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

2o6

Cookie Monster

Quote from: 2o6 on July 31, 2010, 06:57:40 PM

Huh?
You said that VW's had stiff steering and suspension suited for high speeds.

I (jokingly) pointed out that the new Jetta has some craptastic features.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

MX793

Quote from: thecarnut on July 31, 2010, 06:55:36 PM
Drum brakes, beam suspension....

:devil: :lol:

Every Jetta (and Golf) made prior to the MkV has had a torsion beam rear end.  The Fiesta uses a torsion beam.  The Euro Civic Type R uses a torsion beam.  The Astra uses a torsion beam (even in VXR trim).  It is far from the worst suspension setup out there.  No, it's not "sophisticated" and yes, it's cheap and technically inferior to the multilink setup in the MkV, but it's not like they reverted to a stick axle and leaf springs.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

2o6

Quote from: thecarnut on July 31, 2010, 07:09:52 PM
You said that VW's had stiff steering and suspension suited for high speeds.

I (jokingly) pointed out that the new Jetta has some craptastic features.

:devil:
Quote from: MX793 on July 31, 2010, 07:24:47 PM
Every Jetta (and Golf) made prior to the MkV has had a torsion beam rear end.  The Fiesta uses a torsion beam.  The Euro Civic Type R uses a torsion beam.  The Astra uses a torsion beam (even in VXR trim).  It is far from the worst suspension setup out there.  No, it's not "sophisticated" and yes, it's cheap and technically inferior to the multilink setup in the MkV, but it's not like they reverted to a stick axle and leaf springs.

Euro Jetta retains multilink rear.

It's not necessarily a bad thing, (I mean, VW practically invented torsion beams) but the wording in the press release IMO made VW sound like they look down on the American market in general.

AltinD

Quote from: SVT32V on July 31, 2010, 06:49:14 PM
double :facepalm: :facepalm:
:rolleyes:
Obviously any car can go on the autobahn, but the insinuation is that VWs are cruising the autobahn at a 190 mph like a porsche 997 GT2.

Look VWs are nice cars, nicer than your avg plebeian car, but nonetheless they are still fwd based cars for the proletariat and not supercars or even exceptional performing cars.

Save for the phantom phateon, there isn't much from VW that I would want to cruise at 140 mph or more.

How often do people drive 190 mph on Autobahns?

And then I rather drive 140+ on a VW Passat then something else of the same class, same with the Golf.

The Phantom

Yeah that new Corvette commercial with the ZR-1 makes me want to go out and do burnouts.

It actually does.  :lol:  But I'm not going to start a Failbook group to try to get it pulled.
"We?re surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."

sportyaccordy

With better brakes & spring+shocks, an Accord/Camry can be made to handle on the Autobahn. It's not exactly rocket science.

AltinD

Quote from: sportyaccordy on August 01, 2010, 01:05:40 PM
With better brakes & spring+shocks, an Accord/Camry can be made to handle on the Autobahn. It's not exactly rocket science.

Where do you guys get the idea that the Autobahn is a racing circuit? It's a freaking highway where you can drive fast. Driving constantly at a excessive speed doesn't have much to do with how a car handles, but how it sticks at the tarmac, how well it is build to avoid rattles and shaking, how good the brakes are and of course how aligned the body panels are.

The Mitsu EVO might be a fast car but remember some years back Top Gear episode that it started undressing self of panels and trim pieces under excessive high speed driving?

SVT666

I've been on the Autobahn a few times and people are generally travelling around 90-110 mph.  Most of the Autobahns have speed limits now anyway.  I've seen cars travelling at well over 200 km/h, but they are few. 

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: SVT666 on August 01, 2010, 01:38:20 PM
I've been on the Autobahn a few times and people are generally travelling around 90-110 mph.  Most of the Autobahns have speed limits now anyway.  I've seen cars travelling at well over 200 km/h, but they are few. 

I only had enough open road to get my car to the max 140mph a couple times in the 2 years I drove the SHO. The wifey's speed limit was 90mph when she was in the car, we were still passing about 85% of cars out there.
Will

SVT_Power

Quote from: AltinD on August 01, 2010, 01:23:52 PM
Where do you guys get the idea that the Autobahn is a racing circuit? It's a freaking highway where you can drive fast. Driving constantly at a excessive speed doesn't have much to do with how a car handles, but how it sticks at the tarmac, how well it is build to avoid rattles and shaking, how good the brakes are and of course how aligned the body panels are.

The Mitsu EVO might be a fast car but remember some years back Top Gear episode that it started undressing self of panels and trim pieces under excessive high speed driving?

I think he's just talking about high speed handling/stability in general. Most cars at triple digits speeds get pretty scary.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SVT_Power

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 01, 2010, 03:45:53 PM
I only had enough open road to get my car to the max 140mph a couple times in the 2 years I drove the SHO. The wifey's speed limit was 90mph when she was in the car, we were still passing about 85% of cars out there.

If I had a chance, I'd go out at like 3-4am so I could try to hit top speed every once in a while  :lol:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

GoCougs

:facepalm:  on VW being more Autobahn "worthy" than any other plebeian brand...

But I agree - when I first saw the commercial I thought it was not a good idea.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: SVT_Power on August 01, 2010, 04:26:05 PM
If I had a chance, I'd go out at like 3-4am so I could try to hit top speed every once in a while  :lol:

Dangerous.
Germany is the size of Montana. Most Autobahn has forest on both sides of it. Deer live in forests. Lots of deer live in Montana. (Not as much in Germany because lots more peoples live there than Montana.)

Why did the deer cross the road? Because there was a car coming.

Also, curiously enough, there are NO STREETLIGHTS on the majority of the Autobahn, even for exits.
And most exits are "cloverleaf" style, and the vast majority have guardrail that's been replaced, with skidmarks marking the replaced sections.

Plus they don't warn about "lower speed limit ahead". They put a speed limit sign and you should be going that speed as you pass it.
Will

SVT_Power

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 01, 2010, 06:33:51 PM
Dangerous.
Germany is the size of Montana. Most Autobahn has forest on both sides of it. Deer live in forests. Lots of deer live in Montana. (Not as much in Germany because lots more peoples live there than Montana.)

Why did the deer cross the road? Because there was a car coming.

Also, curiously enough, there are NO STREETLIGHTS on the majority of the Autobahn, even for exits.
And most exits are "cloverleaf" style, and the vast majority have guardrail that's been replaced, with skidmarks marking the replaced sections.

Plus they don't warn about "lower speed limit ahead". They put a speed limit sign and you should be going that speed as you pass it.

Oh man. I'd definitely go for top speed runs. I love wooded roads. Especially ones without much of a shoulder. I refuse to go on rollercoasters yet I get off on (speeding on) roads like that. :lol:

But the no warning for speed limits is not cool.

CALL_911

Quote from: SVT_Power on August 01, 2010, 07:43:07 PM
Oh man. I'd definitely go for top speed runs. I love wooded roads. Especially ones without much of a shoulder. I refuse to go on rollercoasters yet I get off on (speeding on) roads like that. :lol:

But the no warning for speed limits is not cool.

+1

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

MX793

Quote from: SVT_Power on August 01, 2010, 07:43:07 PM

Ever see what happens when a car hits a deer at high speed?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5