Brother car shopping again?

Started by the Teuton, August 01, 2010, 02:46:09 AM

the Teuton

I need some ideas. Apparently, my brother thinks his Taurus is falling apart -- which it very well may be -- and he's looking for a suitable replacement. He has a ton of crap that he hauls around, much of it being large musical instruments and giant Rubbermaid boxes. He also drives fairly long distances, and he'll be living in Connecticut in August, so gas mileage would be a good thing to worry about. Lastly, his car needs to be cheap and reliable, with an emphasis on cheap.

He has roughly $2,000 to play with, which is a lot for an Ohio beater. I can't think of anything out there to suitably replace his car. He already doesn't have enough space in his Taurus, and there aren't too many cars out there that are bigger. Halp!

PS Idea 1 from me: Nissan Pathfinder...except they rust and don't get great mileage.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

ifcar

A midsize SUV won't have any more space than a Taurus wagon and decent minivans cost more than $2k. And EPA ratings of the Caprice/Roadmaster are somehow pretty close to the Taurus: 15/24 vs. 17/24.

the Teuton

Yeah...I don't know how I feel about recommending something like that. I think he should hold on to his Taurus.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

2o6

Another Taurus/Sable.

Oddball: SWB Chrysler Van.

ifcar

Quote from: the Teuton on August 01, 2010, 07:03:22 AM
Yeah...I don't know how I feel about recommending something like that. I think he should hold on to his Taurus.

How bad is its bad shape? It's, what, an 01ish?

68_427

Quote from: ifcar on August 01, 2010, 06:46:44 AM

A midsize SUV won't have any more space than a Taurus wagon and decent minivans cost more than $2k. And EPA ratings of the Caprice/Roadmaster are somehow pretty close to the Taurus: 15/24 vs. 17/24.

+1
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

MX793

Question is:  Will a $2000 Ohio beater meet all inspection criteria in Connecticut (assuming they have annual vehicle inspections for safety and emissions)?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

the Teuton

Quote from: MX793 on August 01, 2010, 09:46:46 AM
Question is:  Will a $2000 Ohio beater meet all inspection criteria in Connecticut (assuming they have annual vehicle inspections for safety and emissions)?

The car will be registered in Ohio, so there should be no worries.

Quote from: ifcar on August 01, 2010, 07:41:24 AM

It's not terrible, just...old. The mechanic came back with a list of stuff wrong with it, but I've not yet seen the list. It could all just be little things, and he may be freaking out. It has really high mileage, though.

ifcar

What was your objection to the Caprice/Roadmaster/Custom Cruiser? Age, I guess?

2o6

Quote from: ifcar on August 01, 2010, 10:21:05 AM
What was your objection to the Caprice/Roadmaster/Custom Cruiser? Age, I guess?

1. There aren't many of them around here.

2. MPG's suck. (You will never reach those EPA ratings)

3. There are PLENTY of SWB (And LWB models) Caravans in this price range around here. Our 99 with 93K loaded with all the options was only 3K, and that was in 2006.

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/1874585659.html

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/ctd/1873059233.html

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/ctd/1867920047.html

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/1866207533.html

Quote from: ifcar on August 01, 2010, 07:41:24 AM

IIRC, Teutons bro bought the car with close to 200K miles. It's lasted quite some time, too.

ifcar

Quote from: 2o6 on August 01, 2010, 11:05:36 AM

2. MPG's suck. (You will never reach those EPA ratings)

What do you know about real-world mileage of Taurus vs. Caprice?

3. There are PLENTY of SWB (And LWB models) Caravans in this price range around here. Our 99 with 93K loaded with all the options was only 3K, and that was in 2006.

And Caravan reliability sucks.

Laconian

The Caprice/Roadmaster are likely to appreciate in value thanks to the donk/bubble thang.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

Quote from: ifcar on August 01, 2010, 11:32:04 AM
And Caravan reliability sucks.

3.0L's are the soft spot in the lineup, but the 3.3, 2.4 and 3.8 are pretty stout motors, especially the 3.3L. Transmissions are a bit of a weak spot, though.

Quote from: Laconian on August 01, 2010, 12:04:48 PM
The Caprice/Roadmaster are likely to appreciate in value thanks to the donk/bubble thang.

There are no Caprices left that aren't raised, donked, rodded, or ungodly expensive. Especially not wagons.

These are the only wagons I can find.

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/1861907842.html

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/1844752237.html

the Teuton

He's not getting a Caprice. He's mentioned some soft roaders/crossovers, but I've informed him that his budget might not be up for it. He's worried about his car stuttering a little. I asked him what it was that was making the car do that -- the O2 sensor. I told him he'd fix that right up with just that little part. Am I wrong?

ifcar

Quote from: the Teuton on August 01, 2010, 04:59:25 PM
He's not getting a Caprice. He's mentioned some soft roaders/crossovers, but I've informed him that his budget might not be up for it. He's worried about his car stuttering a little. I asked him what it was that was making the car do that -- the O2 sensor. I told him he'd fix that right up with just that little part. Am I wrong?

There's no $2,000 SUV with halfway-decent mileage that will meet his cargo space requirement of more-than-Taurus, and many gas guzzlers that will leave him with less room. Does he maybe just want something different?

the Teuton

Quote from: ifcar on August 01, 2010, 05:03:54 PM
There's no $2,000 SUV with halfway-decent mileage that will meet his cargo space requirement of more-than-Taurus, and many gas guzzlers that will leave him with less room. Does he maybe just want something different?

He just wants something that won't break down on the way to Connecticut, which his car won't...I think he's worrying about this a bit too much. I'mma get the list of "needed" repairs sometime tonight from him. I bet the only thing pending is that o2 sensor bit.

ifcar

Quote from: the Teuton on August 01, 2010, 05:05:37 PM
He just wants something that won't break down on the way to Connecticut, which his car won't...I think he's worrying about this a bit too much. I'mma get the list of "needed" repairs sometime tonight from him. I bet the only thing pending is that o2 sensor bit.

Well, any car might, especially something bought for $2,000.

the Teuton

Quote from: ifcar on August 01, 2010, 05:13:26 PM
Well, any car might, especially something bought for $2,000.

We'll see. All things considered, he takes incredibly good care of that car. It has the Vulcan V6. That engine is nearly indestructible, and he's gotten as much as 31 mpg out of it on the highway.

GoCougs

$2,000 budget pretty much precludes any selection criteria - MPG, miles, brand, model, type, etc. He'll have to jump on the the car in the best shape/lowest miles whether it's an '89 Caprice, '92 F-150 or '96 Corolla.

Laconian

Quote from: GoCougs on August 01, 2010, 10:19:10 PM
$2,000 budget pretty much precludes any selection criteria - MPG, miles, brand, model, type, etc. He'll have to jump on the the car in the best shape/lowest miles whether it's an '89 Caprice, '92 F-150 or '96 Corolla.
I think you do have some wiggle room with regard to very broad criteria (sedan OR truck OR coupe etc.) but yeah, pretty much.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

the Teuton

Wow, you guys suck. I wanted a mid-1990s-2000s economy car with less than 144k miles on it (what my Subaru had) in decent shape with a manual transmission. And with the exception of a few small niggles, I landed what exactly I wanted for $800 -- less money than I was planning on spending. 11,000 miles later, it's doing all right for itself now after some, erm, niggles.

You can have your oil-burning, brake-killing, muffler-less cake and eat it, too.

BimmerM3

Quote from: the Teuton on August 01, 2010, 10:28:19 PM
Wow, you guys suck. I wanted a mid-1990s-2000s economy car with less than 144k miles on it (what my Subaru had) in decent shape with a manual transmission. And with the exception of a few small niggles, I landed what exactly I wanted for $800 -- less money than I was planning on spending. 11,000 miles later, it's doing all right for itself now after some, erm, niggles.

You can have your oil-burning, brake-killing, muffler-less cake and eat it, too.

What the fuck?

2o6

Quote from: the Teuton on August 01, 2010, 10:28:19 PM

+1.

My car was 1/2 the budget, and I had a lot of choices.

ifcar

Neither of you had the more-cargo-space-than-Taurus requirement. That's the killer.

2o6

Quote from: ifcar on August 02, 2010, 10:58:21 AM
Neither of you had the more-cargo-space-than-Taurus requirement. That's the killer.

I suppose. However, the market at that time (Pre 00') was pretty limited aside from a Van.

sportyaccordy

Why the fuck does he need so much cargo space... and does he need it all the time?

He should get something regular sized w/a decent motor and a trailer hitch. Rent a U haul trailer when u gotta haul shit. Otherwise, suffer with something like a Chevy Astro.

hotrodalex

Quote from: Laconian on August 01, 2010, 10:22:24 PM
I think you do have some wiggle room with regard to very broad criteria (sedan OR truck OR coupe etc.) but yeah, pretty much.

Do remember that you and Cougs are on the opposite side of the country. Used cars in Ohio run pretty cheap.