1997 Mazda Miata I'm thinking of buying, need a Carfax ?

Started by Byteme, August 02, 2010, 02:20:41 PM

Byteme

Can anyone here pull a carfax report for me?  I'm looking at a 1997 Miata at a small used car dealer and he says he doesn't do those. 

Also can anyone tell me the strong and weak points of the 97 Miata, what to look for, trouble areas, etc.

Onslaught

Can't help you with the car fax thing.

I can't think of any trouble areas with a 97 miata. The clutch  slave cylinder will go out like clock work around 60-70K on all NA's.
Look for rust around the quarter where it welds to the rocker. It's not a common thing to see rust but I've seen it a few times.
I can't really think of anything a Miata is known for having problems with. 

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Rich

Quote from: Onslaught on August 02, 2010, 02:29:33 PM
The clutch  slave cylinder will go out like clock work around 60-70K on all NA's.

Any word on NBs?

Should rename the place to MiataSpin
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

ifcar

Carfax dropped its unlimited-reports service, so good luck with your request.

Byteme

It was actually a 1996.  According to Edmunds the car was worth about $1,400, max.  The dealer wanted $4k and would "settle" for $3k.   I thanked him for his time.

Tonight we stumbled across a white 97 in much better condition.  I'll be contacting them tomorrow to see the pricing.

Rupert

$1400?!

Yeah, no matter what the Internetz say, almost all good Miatas are asking about $4000 or better, at least on the west side of the country. If you can get a good Miata for $3000, you're getting a deal. However, I suspect that if he'd take 3/4 of the asking price, that was not a good Miata.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Laconian

I got my '95 four years ago for $6k (w/55k on the clock), but it had a hard top which is worth practically a grand on its own. So the 12-year old car was effectively $5k.

This '97 is 14 years old, depending on mileage, $3.5-4k seems reasonable.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Laconian on August 02, 2010, 11:18:31 PM
I got my '95 four years ago for $6k (w/55k on the clock), but it had a hard top which is worth practically a grand on its own. So the 12-year old car was effectively $5k.

This '97 is 14 years old, depending on mileage, $3.5-4k seems reasonable.
Your car also barely had any miles on it.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Byteme

Quote from: thecarnut on August 02, 2010, 11:28:10 PM
Your car also barely had any miles on it.

The 96 had 162K miles on it and was rough.  $4K was a pipe dream, $3k was double what it is worth.  No used car lot with inventory coming from the auction house will have the "right price" on the windshield. 

We found a white 97 with 80K on a used car lot just down the road.  Leather, cruise, 5 speed, stereo (that is suspect), unmarked alloys,  cruise, PW, PS, PB, and has an asking price of $3,700.  Needs a good detailing, tires, a new top, trunk liner, floor mats and the left rocker has been dented in along it's entire length (curb damage?). We haven't driven it or started it, we just looked at it on the lot after hours.   I'd prefer red with a tan interior but I might make an offer if it drives OK, the carfax looks good and it passes my mechanical check.   

Rupert

A rough high-mileage Miata that runs OK is still worth $2500+. ;)
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Onslaught

Quote from: Rupert on August 03, 2010, 04:35:11 PM
What if it's got a salvage title? I wish my car was worth something.

Rupert

Anyway, I really dislike white on sports cars. When I get the MG sold, I'll be looking at any of the dark Miata colors, and none of the light ones. I was thinking about the red/tan, but I already have another red vehicle, and, yeesh, that's a lot.

Rupert

Quote from: Onslaught on August 03, 2010, 04:36:34 PM
What if it's got a salvage title? I wish my car was worth something.

If it's a rough high-mileage car with a salvage title, uh, I don't know what I would pay for it. I'd leave it alone, I believe. :lol:

Your car, however, has got to be worth $2500 at least, if it's in the awesome condition I think it is in.

Onslaught

If I was going to get another NA hat had a 1.8 in it I'd look for a 1996 M edition or the 1997 STO.

Onslaught

Quote from: Rupert on August 03, 2010, 04:38:21 PM
If it's a rough high-mileage car with a salvage title, uh, I don't know what I would pay for it. I'd leave it alone, I believe. :lol:

Your car, however, has got to be worth $2500 at least, if it's in the awesome condition I think it is in.
Funny thing is my hardtop cost more then my car did.

Rupert

Onslaught

Quote from: Rupert on August 03, 2010, 05:29:04 PM
How fucked up was the car when you got it?
Not bad at all. It really wasn't a total to tell the truth. Looked like it went off road and had the ass end knocked around just a little. I just pulled it and repaired the quarters. Didn't need any body parts other than a rear bumper cover. The rear suspension was toast but I had one out of a 95 MX-5 and all I need was a PPF and drive shaft.  The only reason the car totaled was because it wouldn't shift and they thought the transmission was bad. It was just the PPF had pressure on it and when I pulled the car around and took that off it was fine. Never a problem out of it for all these years. So for 2K I got a MX-5 that had almost 6K miles on it and it's lasted me over 200K. I had some FD RX-7 fog lamps and they fitted with almost no modifications. Put 95 front rotors on the front to match the back. Got the Mazda type R effects and the hard top and NB rims new many years later.
Worked out well but no I'd never get good money for it. A salvage title is what it is. No matter how long I've had it on the road.

Not that I'd sell her anyway.

Byteme

Quote from: Rupert on August 03, 2010, 04:35:11 PM

I disagree.  I can find any number of rough examples on Criags list down here for well under $2,000.

The 97 we are looking at has the following problems:

Driver's power window inoperative (parts cost, anywhere from $20 to $300 to fix, plus my labor)
Needs new shocks and struts ($150 for parts, plus my labor
Needs new top (anywhere from $350 to $600 parts, plus my labor)
Needs floor mats and trunk liner (seems minor, but new ones cost $150 total)
Brake pads are quite thin ($60 parts plus labor, more if new rotors are needed)
The left rocker is bent and scraped, someone nailed a curb while making a left turn, likely in a parking lot.  (If no structural damage, probably $300 - $400 to repair at the body shop)

Plus I'd have to drain and replace all the fluids, do a tuneup, replace the belts and hoses, and replace the timing belt.  Figure about $250 for parts and a weekend of my labor.  I'd do this regardless of the car's condition so let's not count that.  Plus it needs an alignment and will need new tires in about 5,000 miles or so; the exhaust will also need replacing in probly the next year or so.  Also a plus, most parts seem to be amazingly cheap.

On the plus side, except for the rocker the body is straight with good paint, the interior would clean up nicely. There are two small non-spreading bullseyes in the windscreen in out of the way places, and the mechanicals seem to be in order.  And, with the exception of the driver's window, everything works.

So given the repair costs of somewhere around $1,100 for the body work, struts, brakes and the rest ( that's my negotiation point).  The car is only worth about $2,000 to me.  The dealer had it on Craigs list for $3,700 and he's already told me it could be had for around $3,000.  The most I'd offer would be $2,100.  Remember, I don't need a 5th car.  This would be another toy.  Anything over $2,100 sucks the toy value out of it for me.

Raza

No major problems, other than not being as good as the Toyota MR-2 Spyder.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Byteme

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=22666.msg1372699#msg1372699 date=1280927510
No major problems, other than not being as good as the Toyota MR-2 Spyder.

MR-2's suck rabbit shit through straws.   :lol:

Seriously, if MR-2's were so great why aren't they still in production?

Raza

Quote from: EtypeJohn on August 04, 2010, 07:16:55 AM
MR-2's suck rabbit shit through straws.   :lol:

Seriously, if MR-2's were so great why aren't they still in production?

The candle that burns twice as bright...

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rupert

Ha, how about 1.01 times as bright? The MR2's only advantages were very slight handling and very slight power.

Raza

Quote from: Rupert on August 04, 2010, 08:35:35 AM
Ha, how about 1.01 times as bright? The MR2's only advantages were very slight handling and very slight power.

Faster, better handling, better to drive.  The MX-5 couldn't match the MR-2 to 60 until the NC.

I've driven the NA and NC MX-5s (not the NB yet, unfortunately), and practicality and comfort would be the only reasons I'd buy one over an MR-2 Spyder, and even then, just the NC. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Byteme

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=22666.msg1372740#msg1372740 date=1280936320
Faster, better handling, better to drive.  

Not to mention ugly as sin and it carries the famous Toyota logo (a big minus to me).

Raza

Quote from: EtypeJohn on August 04, 2010, 10:27:21 AM
Not to mention ugly as sin and it carries the famous Toyota logo (a big minus to me).

Hate to say it, but those are both good points.  It is ugly. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Byteme

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=22666.msg1372819#msg1372819 date=1280945251
Hate to say it, but those are both good points.  It is ugly.  

Yup, I only use a car's maximum performance occasionally, but I have to look at it every time I'm in the garage.   :lol:

Onslaught

I used to hate the MR-2 spyder. Probably some kind of Miata vs another car thing. But I've started to warm up on it's looks over the years. It's still not good looking and the interior looks like dog sick. But I no longer hate it.
That said I'd never take one over an MX-5.

AutobahnSHO

I want a Yota

True story, it was on ebay a while ago. http://www.toyotaclubitalia.it/forum/mr2/2007-ebay-mr2-1991-a.html
"Based upon some of the questions I have had asked, be prepared to sign a long liability waiver."

Will

Onslaught

Oh I LOVE those MR-2's. Not that one however. It's one of the cars I'd like to have to fix up one day.