Have a read of this gem...

Started by VTEC_Inside, August 04, 2010, 08:29:18 AM

VTEC_Inside

Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

hotrodalex

Seems rather harsh, especially compared to other crimes that get a much easier punishment.

Having accidentally killed someone is also a punishment in and of itself.

dazzleman

Quote from: hotrodalex on August 04, 2010, 01:44:13 PM
Seems rather harsh, especially compared to other crimes that get a much easier punishment.

Not sure I agree, Alex.  I think distracted driving is a real problem, and maybe some harsh penalties for causing injury or death while doing things that you have no business doing while you're driving will make a difference.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: hotrodalex on August 04, 2010, 01:44:13 PM

This wasn't an accident, she was painting her nails while driving. It was never a question of IF, it was always a question of who and when.

Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

dazzleman

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on August 04, 2010, 02:08:10 PM
This wasn't an accident, she was painting her nails while driving. It was never a question of IF, it was always a question of who and when.

That's an important distinction that is often lost today.  In our society, we don't like to take responsibility for anything, so everything is an 'accident' or a 'tragedy' even if somebody's actions caused it.

To me, an accident is something that happens that couldn't have been forseen or prevented by a reasonable person, or something that happens as a result of an innocent mistake.  Not looking at the road while you're driving is not a mistake; it is an act of negligence.  And this woman was convicted of that.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Northlands

Painting nails while driving is very very stupid. In this case she ended someone's life. When you're piloting 3k pounds or more of vehicle, pay the fuck attention. I realize jailing middle aged white ladies ain't popular in the public view if it isn't an assault or murder, but people simply have to be accountable for the stupid things and behaviors they commit. She may as well have been drinking and driving. That's how much attention she was paying to the road.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Gotta-Qik-C7

She should be doing at least 10 years! And yes I am a biased motorcyclist that has been hit by unattentive females TWICE! I swear females get away with soo much shit when it comes to driving!!! PISSES ME OFF!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

hotrodalex

Quote from: dazzleman on August 04, 2010, 01:48:54 PM
Not sure I agree, Alex.  I think distracted driving is a real problem, and maybe some harsh penalties for causing injury or death while doing things that you have no business doing while you're driving will make a difference.

I agree that's it's her fault. I'm just saying that I've seen worse crimes go (comparatively) unpunished. If this is the punishment for killing someone while driving a car, then the punishments for other crimes should be equally tough.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: hotrodalex on August 08, 2010, 03:03:33 PM
I agree that's it's her fault. I'm just saying that I've seen worse crimes go (comparatively) unpunished. If this is the punishment for killing someone while driving a car, then the punishments for other crimes should be equally tough.
You serious?! She got off way too fucking easy. She's only imprisoned at night? WTF. That's a slap in the face to the family of the motorcyclist.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

hotrodalex

I'm just saying it's tougher than what i've seen before. I do agree that jail at night is a joke.

TBR

bing_oh

Quote from: hotrodalex on August 08, 2010, 04:44:32 PMI'm just saying it's tougher than what i've seen before. I do agree that jail at night is a joke.

Then shouldn't your issue be with the other undeservedly lenient sentences, not this sentence that's too lenient for the crime?

Submariner

18 months is horseshit.  She acted with total negligence and deserves a stiff manslaughter sentence. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

rohan

?I was not still painting my nails,?? Hunt said during her trial. ?I was looking at the yellow light.??

Which means she ran the yellow light- I can't speak for other places but that's a ticketable offense in Michigan "Disregard Steady Yellow" a moving violation.  Combine that with her actions while driving and she would have been charged with Vehicular/Negligent Manslaugter here and probably sentenced to 2.5 years in state prison and eligable for parole at 6 months.  Plus she would have lost her license for up to 5 years.  

Quote from: Submariner on August 09, 2010, 01:03:27 PM
18 months is horseshit.  She acted with total negligence and deserves a stiff manslaughter sentence. 
"18 months of periodic imprisonment"   
Most likely she'll have to do a few weeks straight at the beginning but then it'll be weekends and holidays by the sounds of that so maybe half that time in actuality.
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

BimmerM3

Quote from: hotrodalex on August 08, 2010, 03:03:33 PM

:confused:

How many crimes are worse than homicide?

BimmerM3

Quote from: rohan on August 09, 2010, 02:18:57 PM
"18 months of periodic imprisonment"   
Most likely she'll have to do a few weeks straight at the beginning but then it'll be weekends and holidays by the sounds of that so maybe half that time in actuality.

"a sentence that will keep her jailed at night, but allow her to be free during the day to work or receive medical care or mental health counseling."

Sounds to me like she'll only be able to leave to go to work and doctors appointments. That could just be poor wording by the journalist though.

MX793

So the guy with the supposed runaway Camry that killed 3 people got 8 years (32 months per person) of full time imprisonment, and this woman who was applying nail polish while driving (IMO every bit as reckless as driving at high speed) gets 18 months of part-time imprisonment for killing another motorist?  What kind of a crock is that?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5