Thinking of selling the Durango and getting something else

Started by rohan, August 08, 2010, 10:04:15 AM

rohan

Seems like I've seen some of you guys rag pretty harshly on the Toyota truck but recommend it here- am I missing something?
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

rohan

Maybe it's just me but I can't see where they could've added 7 seats.  :lol:

That is pretty good looking though but I wonder why they won't put it on the ram platform?  I looked at a new jeep and it just doesn't look any much bigger than a Ford Edge.

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

r0tor

So you need to upside because you may need to transport the entire soccer team a few times a year?  Do the other families not have the ability to drive their own kids?

Do you have 5 spare bedrooms in your house in case the soccer team might want to sleep over?
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

rohan

My neighbor's kid is a couple years older and he says they take turns driving them around.  I'm thinking it's gonna be the same but no that's not the only reason the Durango is a bit small for a family when you drive it long distances having the extra width and space would be nice.  Plus like yesterday I went and got a new landscaping tree and it wasn't very tall but reached all teh way to the windshield and was all bent over.  More room to haul things would be very handy since I do alot of the work around the house myself - which is kind of why I was thinking pick up truck.  Plus- we just want a little bit bigger truck.

~Chief Seattle

rohan

Quote from: r0tor on August 09, 2010, 01:35:45 PM
So you need to upside because you may need to transport the entire soccer team a few times a year?  Do the other families not have the ability to drive their own kids?

Do you have 5 spare bedrooms in your house in case the soccer team might want to sleep over?
I have 2 spares now and when I finish the basement I'll have 4 plus an office.  :lol:

~Chief Seattle

r0tor

I played soccer for 10 years and I don't think I ever needed to be driven to a practice..... If you need to take a team once a month, take 2 cars that day
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

rohan

Quote from: r0tor on August 09, 2010, 01:51:43 PM
I played soccer for 10 years and I don't think I ever needed to be driven to a practice..... If you need to take a team once a month, take 2 cars that day
I'm not very interested in your opinions on how we should live our lives or being judged as to what size vehicle we need in your estimation or whether or not we should be hauling our kids' classmates around- I'm interested in your opinions on the different large vehicles out there.

~Chief Seattle

r0tor

The opinion is all the large vehicles you mentioned suck compared to decent suv like the new cherokee... Which would also fulfill 98% of the size you need

I have enough coworkers who bitch about being stick with a full size trick and suv because of a large boat our camper they have and the 90% of the time they are not hauling they live with shitty mileage, ride, and being a bitch in parking lots

ChrisV

he has the department takehome car, and it wont' do truck duties. So instead of buying a small car (that won't necessarily work for him and another car to do truck duties, he wants one decent truck that can do both. Perfectly logical and acceptable, so that he doens't have payments/registration/insurance on two vehicles.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

r0tor

68_427

Quote from: rohan on August 09, 2010, 01:34:10 PM
Maybe it's just me but I can't see where they could've added 7 seats.  :lol:

That is pretty good looking though but I wonder why they won't put it on the ram platform?  I looked at a new jeep and it just doesn't look any much bigger than a Ford Edge.

The new Durango is on an extended wheelbase version of the platform.  I'm guessing the Ram platform doesn't drive as well and wouldn't offer much more utility.
'racecar is die'
no

rohan

Quote from: ChrisV on August 09, 2010, 02:51:01 PM
he has the department takehome car, and it wont' do truck duties. So instead of buying a small car (that won't necessarily work for him and another car to do truck duties, he wants one decent truck that can do both. Perfectly logical and acceptable, so that he doens't have payments/registration/insurance on two vehicles.
Quote from: r0tor on August 09, 2010, 02:57:27 PM
Uh no, its a daily driver for the wifey...
You're both right.  And Rotor sorry I got so snappy- having a bit of a long day and snapped at you.  Sorry.  I appreciate your input.
I think the Durango is a little too small for the family and would like more room.  When we get in my step-daughter's legs almost hit the front seat because of the car seat so my wife has to move her seat up and leaves only about 2 inches between her knee and the dash and that makes me real nervous.  And it's could stand to be wider too.  It would just be nice to have more room- and if we buy we are buying bigger not smaller and teh new durango will definately be smaller I think looking at the new Cherokee. besides like I said we're just considering and I thought this would be a good place to get some thoughts on models.   And why do you think they suck?  Seriously I would like to know.  And I only pay for gas in one car going to work so I really don't care how much it uses as long as it's in the same ballpark as the Durango I have now.

~Chief Seattle

SVT666

MY wife's daily driver is a Ford Explorer, but it double duties as the family car which we also take camping, on holidays, skiing, etc.  We don't need 3 rows of seats 85% of the time, but for that 15% of the time we do, it's nice not to have to take 2 cars everywhere.  For the next family car we get I really want to get a Yukon or Chevy Tahoe.  If everyone only bought what we need and not what we want, then there would only be a five cars on the market.

68_427

Quote from: MrH on August 09, 2010, 01:53:12 PM
Ford Flex.

Can't believe I didn't think of that.  I'm almost 6ft and I had ample room in the third row.  It's a hugely comfortable vehicle.

'racecar is die'
no

rohan

Quote from: 68_427 on August 09, 2010, 03:44:36 PM
Can't believe I didn't think of that.  I'm almost 6ft and I had ample room in the third row.  It's a hugely comfortable vehicle.

That's actually nice looking inside looks really well thought out-  Too bad it looks like this outside

I don't know what it is about Ford but I just don't like or even get their styling.  :huh:  

~Chief Seattle

rohan

Quote from: 68_427 on August 09, 2010, 01:32:45 PM

The more I look at this the more I like it.  I'm curious to see if it's bigger than what we've got or smaller like the Cherokee.

~Chief Seattle

SVT666

Quote from: rohan on August 09, 2010, 03:55:54 PM
The more I look at this the more I like it.  I'm curious to see if it's bigger than what we've got or smaller like the Cherokee.
It's basically a 7 seat Grand Cherokee.

68_427

Quote from: SVT666 on August 09, 2010, 04:03:14 PM
It's basically a 7 seat Grand Cherokee.

But bigger than a Grand Cherokee.  It's not like the just shoved two tiny seats in the back.
'racecar is die'
no

CJ

Quote from: mzziaz on August 09, 2010, 03:37:15 AM
Getting a full size truck is way overkill for your needs, imo.

Man up, and tell your wife thare is only one person in the family knowledgeable about cars, and it aint her.

Then get her a XC90 or something  :lol:

That's not a bad idea.

GoCougs

Quote from: rohan on August 09, 2010, 01:30:09 PM
Seems like I've seen some of you guys rag pretty harshly on the Toyota truck but recommend it here- am I missing something?

When it came out it was best in class, with its sole sin being that it offended many a domestic fanboy.

SVT666

Quote from: 68_427 on August 09, 2010, 04:36:03 PM
But bigger than a Grand Cherokee.  It's not like the just shoved two tiny seats in the back.
I didn't mean for it so sound like that.  I meant that it's a Grand Cherokee that they extended and now seats 7.

68_427

Quote from: SVT666 on August 09, 2010, 07:18:25 PM
I didn't mean for it so sound like that.  I meant that it's a Grand Cherokee that they extended and now seats 7.

I had a feeling that's what you meant, but I also had a feeling it might confuse people.
'racecar is die'
no

TBR

I am not really understanding why a Durango isn't big enough for a family of four. If you want something bigger then so be it, but my family of four did just fine with the biggest car we ever had being a 1st generation Durango (when my brother and I were the age of your kids we had a 626 sedan).

ChrisV

yes. AND a truck. That's the point. ONE vehicle to do both jobs.

ChrisV

Quote from: TBR on August 09, 2010, 08:41:44 PM
I am not really understanding why a Durango isn't big enough for a family of four. If you want something bigger then so be it, but my family of four did just fine with the biggest car we ever had being a 1st generation Durango (when my brother and I were the age of your kids we had a 626 sedan).

yeah, and we walked to school in the snow, uphill, both ways, with no shoes, and we liked it.

And our ancestors did just fine living in dirt caves.  So who needs an air conditioned house with running water, right?

Raza

I honestly didn't know there were things out there bigger than the current Durango. 

If you're looking at pickups, have you considered my favorite?  The Nissan Frontier Crew Cab?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

omicron

Quote from: rohan on August 09, 2010, 03:53:56 PM
That's actually nice looking inside looks really well thought out-  Too bad it looks like this outside

I don't know what it is about Ford but I just don't like or even get their styling.  :huh: 

That looks fantastic.