Thinking of selling the Durango and getting something else

Started by rohan, August 08, 2010, 10:04:15 AM

SVT666

After driving the Flex, getting past the looks was a piece of cake.  I liked the looks to begin with, but my wife never liked it.  She didn't care after driving it.  The Explorer just fit our needs better though.

TBR

Quote from: ChrisV on August 10, 2010, 05:46:59 AM
yeah, and we walked to school in the snow, uphill, both ways, with no shoes, and we liked it.

And our ancestors did just fine living in dirt caves.  So who needs an air conditioned house with running water, right?

You really are insufferable. My point is clear. If he wants a big truck then that's his prerogative. I don't have a problem with it. Whatever he buys is sure to get better gas mileage than that 1st gen Durango. I am just telling him that the extra space probably won't be as useful as he thinks it is.

WookieOnRitalin

Kia Sorento V6 AWD: Third Row. Tow 3500 lbs. 25 mpg.

1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

ifcar

And much smaller than a Durango. It's closer to the size of a RAV4.

68_427

Quote from: Raza  on August 10, 2010, 07:05:08 AM
I honestly didn't know there were things out there bigger than the current Durango. 

If you're looking at pickups, have you considered my favorite?  The Nissan Frontier Crew Cab?

That is incredibly small.  I'll be taking a 4 hour trip in the back seat of one next week.  They are not comfortable at all.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

GoCougs

If it were me, given the constraints that the wifey won't do a minivan, and that fairly stout 4WD ability and lots of space is required, my vote goes to the Suburban.

hotrodalex

Suburban is my vote as well if you don't like the Flex.

68_427

Even though you don't like the looks I think you and your wife should at least check one out.

id you get it all black...

Also the Ecoboost version kicks ass.

'racecar is die'
no

Cookie Monster

IMO the Flex seems like the best option for his needs but he doesn't like Fords. :huh:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

68_427

Quote from: thecarnut on August 10, 2010, 02:35:36 PM
IMO the Flex seems like the best option for his needs but he doesn't like Fords. :huh:

Well... he should try to get over it.
'racecar is die'
no

Catman

The Flex is one of those cars that gets totally set off by custom rimz

SVT666

I saw one today with black wheels with polished lip.  Looked really sharp.

rohan

Quote from: 68_427 on August 10, 2010, 02:38:28 PM
Well... he should try to get over it.
I stopped and looked at one on the way home todya and I like the inside but a. it's not a 4x4  and b. it's just not very good looking.  I like the Tahoe and the Toyota much more.  But besides the pickups I really don't know if you can call full time 4 wheel drive 4x4 or if it's just a older name for all wheel drive.

Quote from: TBR on August 10, 2010, 09:35:49 AM
You really are insufferable. My point is clear. If he wants a big truck then that's his prerogative. I don't have a problem with it. Whatever he buys is sure to get better gas mileage than that 1st gen Durango. I am just telling him that the extra space probably won't be as useful as he thinks it is.
Says the guy with no little kids including the porta potty and stoller we have to take if we intend to go anywhere that's more than 1/2 hour away and or where we walk for a long time.  And if we're going for several days it would be great to have the extra room for suitcases- in case you don't know women way overpack for their kids.  We like to take trips here and there up north or to Chicago or Detroit and so on- on top of the hauling classmates thing which might or might not be issue.  To top it off the wife likes the bigger trucks which was why she bought the Durango when it was just her right before we got married.
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

Rupert

My family of four fit our fuck-ton of camping gear and ourselves into the back of a '88 Taurus until I was in my teens. :huh: ;)

I think you want a 'Burban, rohan.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=22720.msg1375969#msg1375969 date=1281445586
I love that truck.

Truck?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

rohan

Quote from: Rupert on August 10, 2010, 10:32:03 PM
My family of four fit our fuck-ton of camping gear and ourselves into the back of a '88 Taurus until I was in my teens. :huh: ;)

I think you want a 'Burban, rohan.
But how comfy were you?  And for some reason it seems like you said it was a wagon at some point or another- I'm prob wrong but that's what i remember.
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

Rupert

Wow, uh, good memory, stalker. ;)

Yeah, it was a wagon, but that's still smaller than even a gen 1 Durango. Of course, no one was particularly comfy, but then, that's kind of the point of the family vacation, isn't it?

TBR

Quote from: rohan on August 10, 2010, 09:55:44 PM
Says the guy with no little kids including the porta potty and stoller we have to take if we intend to go anywhere that's more than 1/2 hour away and or where we walk for a long time.  And if we're going for several days it would be great to have the extra room for suitcases- in case you don't know women way overpack for their kids.  We like to take trips here and there up north or to Chicago or Detroit and so on- on top of the hauling classmates thing which might or might not be issue.  To top it off the wife likes the bigger trucks which was why she bought the Durango when it was just her right before we got married.

I was a child once, not too long ago either. As I already noted, the biggest vehicle we ever had was a 1st generation Durango. It had plenty of cargo room for any trips we took (and all of our vacations were road trips), and on the rare occasion more than one friend was hauled around the 3rd row was plenty big enough. I can't imagine why anyone with two children would need more space, short of some special circumstances (which might include how we frequently took trips with a fullsize dog crate (plus food and water for the dog) in the back), but I don't really care as long as you don't respond to me in a condescending way since I am trying to help by offering a perspective different from your own.

SVT666

Quote from: TBR on August 10, 2010, 11:04:41 PM
I was a child once, not too long ago either. As I already noted, the biggest vehicle we ever had was a 1st generation Durango. It had plenty of cargo room for any trips we took (and all of our vacations were road trips), and on the rare occasion more than one friend was hauled around the 3rd row was plenty big enough. I can't imagine why anyone with two children would need more space, short of some special circumstances (which might include how we frequently took trips with a fullsize dog crate (plus food and water for the dog) in the back), but I don't really care as long as you don't respond to me in a condescending way since I am trying to help by offering a perspective different from your own.
I have 2 kids.  The double stroller we have takes up most of the cargo area in our Explorer.  Short of throwing all the luggage on the roof, there's not much room left for anything more then a single medium suitcase.  If  you use the 3rd row, there's room a couple backpacks and that's it.  It's fine now that we don't have the stroller to haul around because my son won't stay in it anymore anyway, but I could have done with a Tahoe if I had had the money to spend on one.

Cookie Monster

TBR, how much older/younger are your siblings? I think in rohan and SVT's case, they have kids who are only 1-2 years apart, which means a lot more shit to carry along.

My brother and I are 7 years apart, and the older you get the less stuff you need, so at any time, my parents only had to take 1 set of everything. 1 stroller, one bag full of diapers, etc. That's why we were able to grow up in relatively smaller cars. I grew up in an '86 Corolla and an '83 Mazda GLC and later a '93 Caravan, and my brother grew up in the Caravan and Accord.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Minpin

?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

GoCougs

Yeah, the Flex is a station wagon, without low-range 4WD. If the wifey doesn't like minivans can't imagine she'd like the Flex.

A few weekends ago I drove around a new Suburban. It's not perfect - the leather feels like a rubber football, why GM insists on differing textures and finishes (gloss vs. matte) on the same dashboard I haven't a clue, and she could use an additional 50 hp or so, but it gets the job done.

ifcar

Quote from: SVT666 on August 11, 2010, 12:52:19 AM
I have 2 kids.  The double stroller we have takes up most of the cargo area in our Explorer.  Short of throwing all the luggage on the roof, there's not much room left for anything more then a single medium suitcase.  If  you use the 3rd row, there's room a couple backpacks and that's it.  It's fine now that we don't have the stroller to haul around because my son won't stay in it anymore anyway, but I could have done with a Tahoe if I had had the money to spend on one.

You have more third row and behind-third-row space than the Tahoe -- 17 vs. 13 cubic feet -- and your third row is more comfortable and folds flat. The Tahoe et al may be a nice vehicle, but it's lousy at one of the key things a jumbo ute is supposed to offer: lots of space.

Rich

Just be done with it and get this.  You know the Suburban is too small for your needs, and you'll be back here complaining how it's too small.

ChrisV will end up agreeing and you'll trade in on a bus, or something.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Tave

I'm skeptical about the Jeep GC. I don't have any seat time in the new one, but my roommate has newer WK, and while I think it's a nice car, in terms of interior space and ergonomics it's an absolute nightmare, and feels like it has less space than a compact SUV.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

hotrodalex

Quote from: HotRodPilot on August 11, 2010, 08:11:43 AM

Just be done with it and get this.  You know the Suburban is too small for your needs, and you'll be back here complaining how it's too small.

ChrisV will end up agreeing and you'll trade in on a bus, or something.

I think that will be my next car (/monster truck)

Speed_Racer

What about the Jeep Commander? Do they even still make those? 3 rows, larger than a Durango, etc. etc.

SVT666

Quote from: Speed_Racer on August 11, 2010, 11:12:06 AM
What about the Jeep Commander? Do they even still make those? 3 rows, larger than a Durango, etc. etc.
It's a POS.  I drove two of them before we bought the Explorer.  One was a V6 and the other was a V8.  Not a good truck at all.

Rupert

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=22720.msg1376654#msg1376654 date=1281545312
Crossover? 

Close enough...