New Used 1995 M-Edition Miata

Started by Byteme, August 08, 2010, 01:56:43 PM

AutobahnSHO

John, your kitchen garage always cracks me up and hits me with the envy bug.

Someday when I'm not dealing with back-to-school krap...........................................................
Will

Onslaught

Quote from: EtypeJohn on August 09, 2010, 04:28:49 PM

Do you have the left and right A pillar strikes for an early (90-91) hardtop?

Would you be talking about these?

Byteme

Onslaught

Well then I have them. Both left and right. Did they put in the new interior trim that has the holes cut out for them? I had some in the tan color but can't find them now. I could've trashed them because my car has black and I've got like 2 sets of new black ones and would never need the tan ones.

If you need these I can send them to you. All they need is a little black paint to look new again.

BimmerM3

Quote from: EtypeJohn on August 09, 2010, 04:28:49 PM
I've got it stored out of the way.  Yes, it's hanging over the E-=type.  Thanks for the offer though.  

Do you have the left and right A pillar strikes for an early (90-91) hardtop?

You must really trust your roping skillz to hang that thing above the E.

Also, that's a gorgeous Miata. I am jealous.

Rupert

Nice! I wish that car was around here. I would have bought it. :lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Byteme

Quote from: Onslaught on August 09, 2010, 08:01:12 PM
Well then I have them. Both left and right. Did they put in the new interior trim that has the holes cut out for them? I had some in the tan color but can't find them now. I could've trashed them because my car has black and I've got like 2 sets of new black ones and would never need the tan ones.

If you need these I can send them to you. All they need is a little black paint to look new again.

Thank you.  I'll contact you off list.  I've been told the panels have score marks on the backside that show the proper cutout for the brackets.  Also, Miata.net has a writeup on their installation and adjustment.  

BTW, what year is the red Miata in the picture and do you still have it?

Byteme

Quote from: BimmerM3 on August 09, 2010, 10:15:54 PM
You must really trust your roping skillz to hang that thing above the E.

As I told my wife:  If we hear a big bang about 3AM followed by the sound of my opening the garage door and that followed by a lot of loud cussing you'll know what happened.   :lol:

The top weighs just 50 pounds and the rope and hardware are rated at over double that; and that's the working load, not the fail point.  Besides, that top wouldn't dare fall on Lola.   ;)

Onslaught

Quote from: EtypeJohn on August 10, 2010, 06:27:56 AM
Thank you.  I'll contact you off list.  I've been told the panels have score marks on the backside that show the proper cutout for the brackets.  Also, Miata.net has a writeup on their installation and adjustment.  

BTW, what year is the red Miata in the picture and do you still have it?
I'll go take a look and see if they have the cut out or not. If not I can take some paper and trace the pattern out for you from one of my black ones. I'll also look again to see if I've got some tan ones. I KNOW I had one years ago brand new in the bag. But it could've been put on ebay.

The Miata in the picture is my 1990 MX-5 and I still have it. I've going to restore it in the next year or so unless I lose my job and can't buy the stuff I need.

Rupert

Wow, people are restoring Miatas now...
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Onslaught

Quote from: Rupert on August 10, 2010, 09:21:13 PM
Makes me feel old. I was in high school when they hit the roads. But they are over 20 years old.

Byteme

Quote from: Rupert on August 10, 2010, 09:21:13 PM

Apparently so.  Like Onslaught said, the earliest are over 20 years old.  In 5 years the oldest ones will be exempt from Texas emissions inspections and qualified for Texas Antique Auto plates.

I'm busy "restoring" mine. Cleaning the engine compartment to like showroom condition and replacing damaged or missing underhood stickers.

sportyaccordy

Wow, crazy that people are restoring them, but they are modern classics, and thankfully I imagine still are easy to find parts for. Inside Line has a Project Miata that's pretty interesting.

Nice pick up by the way.

MrH

What would be the point of re-adding missing underhood stickers...?

I couldn't tell if you were being serious, but I think you were.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Cookie Monster

Quote from: MrH on August 11, 2010, 11:39:26 AM

Every little detail counts for a show car. I don't know if John is going to use his as a show car but he already has a Jag, so he might want another one...
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Byteme

Quote from: MrH on August 11, 2010, 11:39:26 AM

Because it had them when it rolled out of the showroom for the first time.  I'm kind of obsessive compulsive and a bit anal when it comes to cars. 

I don't know if I will show thiscar or not.  It's near concours but that last bit of perfection to make it the mythical 100 point car becomes both time consuming and expensive.  Think law of diminishing returns.

I know people with Jaguars who have their car painted every year or so so it's perfect for concours.  I'm fanatical, but not that fanatical, which is why the best I've ever scored is something like 99.97

Onslaught

Quote from: EtypeJohn on August 11, 2010, 06:59:56 AM
Apparently so.  Like Onslaught said, the earliest are over 20 years old.  In 5 years the oldest ones will be exempt from Texas emissions inspections and qualified for Texas Antique Auto plates.

I'm busy "restoring" mine. Cleaning the engine compartment to like showroom condition and replacing damaged or missing underhood stickers.

Damn it. I think I threw all those away but I'll look and see at work. I have a box full of Mazda hood stickers from years and years of working on the things. But they're so old I knew I'd never need them and trashed most of them. I'll see if I saved any MX-5 ones for a 1.8

That's why you NEVER throw things away!

As for restoring Miata's. Mazda isn't making all the parts for them anymore. And I've had some people call me looking for parts as of late. Apparently a back glass for a hard top is a very hard to find item these days. Probably because they're all on race Miata's now and you can't get a hard top without looking hard.

I'd LOVE to restore MX-5's on the side if I thought there was any money in it. I learned how to do body work on those cars and know almost every part, bolt and screw. But anymore who wanted a nice NA would already had got one new and it still be running because it's a miata.

Byteme

Quote from: Onslaught on August 11, 2010, 01:03:12 PM
Damn it. I think I threw all those away but I'll look and see at work. I have a box full of Mazda hood stickers from years and years of working on the things. But they're so old I knew I'd never need them and trashed most of them. I'll see if I saved any MX-5 ones for a 1.8

That's why you NEVER throw things away!

As for restoring Miata's. Mazda isn't making all the parts for them anymore. And I've had some people call me looking for parts as of late. Apparently a back glass for a hard top is a very hard to find item these days. Probably because they're all on race Miata's now and you can't get a hard top without looking hard.

I'd LOVE to restore MX-5's on the side if I thought there was any money in it. I learned how to do body work on those cars and know almost every part, bolt and screw. But anymore who wanted a nice NA would already had got one new and it still be running because it's a miata.

I got the part numbers and ordered the stickers from the Mazda dealer yesterday.  Thanks though. 

Better to buy one someone else has restored or had professionally restored.  It's much cheaper to let them take the financial hit of funding a restoration that's far in excess of the value of the restored car.

hotrodalex

Yeah, if you are buying a restored car it's smarter to get one that is already finished. I like to customize cars, though, so I prefer beat up ones that need some loving anyway.

Byteme

Quote from: hotrodalex on August 11, 2010, 01:59:49 PM
Yeah, if you are buying a restored car it's smarter to get one that is already finished. I like to customize cars, though, so I prefer beat up ones that need some loving anyway.

That's what I originally set out to buy but then this opportunity came by.  The Miata crowd tells me I got a super deal on a very desirable model.  Luck, pure luck.

Laconian

So what are your driving impressions?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Byteme

I've only put about 100 miles on it, but thus far, "Nice, really nice".  It's tight, responsive, easy to fling around.  Needs 20 more HP :-)

AutobahnSHO

I'm "restoring" my subaru, so why not?

(Bought a bottle of touchup paint and hit some bigger dings and scratches... :lol: )
Will

Morris Minor

John, congratulations. It looks great and... inspiring. I need a fun car...
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

BimmerM3

Quote from: Morris Minor on August 12, 2010, 02:00:15 PM
John, congratulations. It looks great and... inspiring. I need a fun car...

We're not far from each other. We could go halvsies and hand it off every week.

Laconian

Quote from: BimmerM3 on August 12, 2010, 11:29:58 PM
We're not far from each other. We could go halvsies and hand it off every week.
Hotlanta G2G!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Morris Minor

My wife wants a convertible, not a sports car, but a convertible: she's serious. So my fun car will have to wait.

Byteme

Quote from: Morris Minor on August 13, 2010, 06:25:25 AM
My wife wants a convertible, not a sports car, but a convertible: she's serious. So my fun car will have to wait.

Well then, get this:

Morris Minor

Morris Minor

Quote from: EtypeJohn on August 11, 2010, 02:41:42 PM
I've only put about 100 miles on it, but thus far, "Nice, really nice".  It's tight, responsive, easy to fling around.  Needs 20 more HP :-)

Maybe, down the road, you could breathe on it a little. 20 HP should, while taking care not to ruin the look & nature of the car, not be too difficult to extract.