Cooling System - Too much pressure?

Started by 2o6, August 11, 2010, 01:45:28 PM

2o6

About a month ago, I fixed my thermostat. However, I would get bouts of times where my car would overheat drastically, and quickly. Pop the hood and the hose from the reservoir to the upper radiator hose and thermostat has come off. I put it back on.

Every now and again, it will pop off (and run a fair amount of coolant out of the reservoir), so I'm wondering why it keeps happening.

- Bad hose?

- Too much pressure in cooling system?

- Too much coolant?

93JC

Could be a bad hose/hose clamp. If it was too much coolant it would most likely leak out the overflow.

It could be a blockage somewhere in your system. Probably radiator. Good luck with that.

2o6

I'm thinking it's a bad hose, It barely reaches and isn't clamped down.

I don't think it would be a blockage because the radiator is new. But if so, that would suck.

Cookie Monster

If it barely reaches, then there ya go.

I doubt you have too much coolant but you may want to check your coolant reservoir just in case. :huh:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

2o6

Quote from: thecarnut on August 11, 2010, 02:14:33 PM
If it barely reaches, then there ya go.

I doubt you have too much coolant but you may want to check your coolant reservoir just in case. :huh:

I caught it in time. Reservoir is 1/2 full. Last time it spewed out all of my coolant.

CJ

Wait...there's no hose clamp on it?  And you haven't bought one yet...because?

Rupert

Ha, no hose clamp? Yeah, that would be the problem right there.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

2o6

Quote from: CJ on August 11, 2010, 02:23:27 PM
Wait...there's no hose clamp on it?  And you haven't bought one yet...because?

When I bought the car it didn't have a clamp I so I assumed that it doesn't need a clamp. I guess I was wrong.

Rupert

Yes, very wrong. All hoses should have clamps, no matter what they do (except if you have a crankcase vent hose that goes to a carbon canister), if for no other reason than to rule that out if you have problems.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

2o6

Neons.org says it may be a bad head gasket or rad cap. :cry:

However, my oil looks fine, as does my coolant. I'm going to autozone and get a clamp tomorrow, and if the line comes off after the clamp, then I will know that something is up.

CJ

A radiator cap is fucking easy.  You twist it off and put the new one on.  Installation is the opposite of removal.

hotrodalex

Quote from: CJ on August 13, 2010, 09:51:31 PM
A radiator cap is fucking easy.  You twist it off and put the new one on.  Installation is the opposite of removal.

Just don't do it while the car is running or still warm. Unless you like a face full of hot coolant (oxymoron?)

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 2o6 on August 11, 2010, 02:25:07 PM
When I bought the car it didn't have a clamp I so I assumed that it doesn't need a clamp. I guess I was wrong.
:wtf:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

2o6

Quote from: CJ on August 13, 2010, 09:51:31 PM

I was  :cry:ing at the head gasket.

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on August 13, 2010, 10:08:06 PM
:wtf:

Hey, I don't know a LOT of things....

CJ

Head gasket on those isn't too bad. 

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 2o6 on August 13, 2010, 10:42:07 PM
Hey, I don't know a LOT of things....
It's cool. We're all here to learn from each other!  :ohyeah:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Rupert

Quote from: 2o6 on August 13, 2010, 09:16:05 PM
Neons.org says it may be a bad head gasket or rad cap. :cry:

However, my oil looks fine, as does my coolant. I'm going to autozone and get a clamp tomorrow, and if the line comes off after the clamp, then I will know that something is up.

If the oil is fine and the coolant is fine (i.e. not full of the wrong substance-- google for pics), then the  head gasket is fine. To me, that just sounds like a bunch of internet must-be-the-worst-possible-problem syndrome. If there is still a problem, get a pressure tester from AutoZone-- free to borrow-- and test the cap and the system. I am 99% sure that it's just that there is no hose clamp, and I would be shocked if it was the head gasket.

You wouldn't believe how many times I've posted a problem, like a small backfire out of the MGs carbs, to a brand-specific forum to then have everyone insist that I either am hearing things, or the engine is about to explode because it's got bad valves or something. Do not ever go with the worst case scenario until it is completely clear that that is the case.

2o6

So I checked the reservoir after the car had reached normal operating temperature.

Coolant is not boiling in the reservoir, and the hose is leaking at the tip where it's not secured/tight against the reservoir outlet.

A ziptie or clamp should fix this.

Rupert

Not a zip tie. That will not work. You need a hose clamp.

Rupert

Why are you still testing this? It's the lack of a clamp, ferchissakes; just go get one.

93JC

They're, like, a buck. All you need for install is a screwdriver. SRSLY, go get one.

Rupert

This thread is four days old, the problem was solved less than 45 min after the OP, and you haven't fixed it yet, because... ???

2o6

Quote from: Rupert on August 15, 2010, 12:15:07 PM
Why are you still testing this? It's the lack of a clamp, ferchissakes; just go get one.

Neons.org has me terrified.

I keep thinking my car is going to self destruct any moment now.

hotrodalex

It will if you don't put the dang clamp on already.

Rupert

Fuck, 2o6! IT'S THE CLAMP AND NOTHING MORE!!!! If you learn anything from this, it is not to trust a bunch of people who think Dodge Neons are the coolest thing going. I don't give a god damn if some retarded 17 year old with a Neon thinks that you have a bad head gasket, and I can guarantee you that if you call a mechanic about this, they will laugh you out the door.

Fuck neons.org! Get a hose clamp! All of your cooling problems will be fixed!

Rupert

2o6: Hi, doc, my head really hurts.

Doc: Well, you have a vise clamped down on it.

2o6: Yes, but I think I have a brain tumor.

:facepalm:

Byteme

Quote from: Rupert on August 16, 2010, 02:01:07 AM
Fuck, 2o6! IT'S THE CLAMP AND NOTHING MORE!!!! If you learn anything from this, it is not to trust a bunch of people who think Dodge Neons are the coolest thing going. I don't give a god damn if some retarded 17 year old with a Neon thinks that you have a bad head gasket, and I can guarantee you that if you call a mechanic about this, they will laugh you out the door.

Fuck neons.org! Get a hose clamp! All of your cooling problems will be fixed!

And I think you mentioned you thought the hose was a bit too short and under tension as well; you siad it barely reaches.  Sounds like someone cut off a bad end when they put in the new radiator.  Buy a length of hose and install a new one an inch or so longer then the one you now have on the car.

Laconian

This thread became really funny overnight.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

AutobahnSHO

hehehehehehe   

Neon

heheheeheheheeheheheheheheeheheheheehehehehehh    LOL
Will

2o6

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 16, 2010, 06:25:11 PM
hehehehehehe   

Neon

heheheeheheheeheheheheheheeheheheheehehehehehh    LOL

???