$1 Million Speeding Ticket

Started by dazzleman, August 14, 2010, 06:34:59 AM

dazzleman

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-10960230

Swede faces world-record $1m speeding penalty
The Swede was driving a Mercedes SLS AMG - which has a top speed of 317km/h A Swedish motorist caught driving at 290km/h (180mph) in Switzerland could be given a world-record speeding fine of SFr1.08m ($1m; ?656,000), prosecutors say.

The 37-year-old, who has not been named, was clocked driving his Mercedes sports car at 170km/h over the limit.

Under Swiss law, the level of fine is determined by the wealth of the driver and the speed recorded.

In January, a Swiss driver was fined $290,000 - the current world record.

Local police spokesman Benoit Dumas said of the latest case that "nothing can justify a speed of 290km/h".

"It is not controllable. It must have taken 500m to stop," he said.

The Swede's car - a Mercedes SLS AMG - has been impounded and in principle he could be forced to pay a daily fine of SFr3,600 for 300 days.

How do you guys like this one?

Eddie, you better stay in Canada.... :evildude: :pullover:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

James Young

That's a display of greed and abuse of power.  It has nothing to do with traffic safety.
Freedom is dangerous.  You can either accept the risks that come with it or eventually lose it all step-by-step.  Each step will be justified by its proponents as a minor inconvenience that will help make us all "safer."  Personally, I'd rather have a slightly more dangerous world that respects freedom more. ? The Speed Criminal

dazzleman

Quote from: James Young on August 14, 2010, 10:32:57 AM
That's a display of greed and abuse of power.  It has nothing to do with traffic safety.

What do you think the penalty should be, if anything, for extremely unsafe driving?
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

James Young

Quote from: dazzleman on August 15, 2010, 07:09:32 PM
What do you think the penalty should be, if anything, for extremely unsafe driving?

Mandatory training at Bondurant or Skip Barber schools.

Nota bene!!  Speeding is not equivalent to unsafe drinving.  D-Man, that is not aimed at you because you know the truth.
Freedom is dangerous.  You can either accept the risks that come with it or eventually lose it all step-by-step.  Each step will be justified by its proponents as a minor inconvenience that will help make us all "safer."  Personally, I'd rather have a slightly more dangerous world that respects freedom more. ? The Speed Criminal

hotrodalex

Quote from: dazzleman on August 15, 2010, 07:09:32 PM

A fine and loss of driving privileges (if it's bad enough) is a very good penalty, but having the fines based off of your wealth should be illegal. Punishments have to be equal across the board.

dazzleman

Quote from: James Young on August 15, 2010, 07:17:28 PM

Mandatory training at Bondurant or Skip Barber schools.

Nota bene!!  Speeding is not equivalent ot unsafe drinving.  D-Man, that is not aimed at your because you know the truth.

I understand that.  Speeding can be perfect safe, but some level of speeding is very unsafe.  It depends on circumstances.

dazzleman

Quote from: hotrodalex on August 15, 2010, 07:18:45 PM
A fine and loss of driving privileges (if it's bad enough) is a very good penalty, but having the fines based off of your wealth should be illegal. Punishments have to be equal across the board.

You could argue it either way.  Does a $500 fine have an equal impact on a dude making $1 million per year as it does on somebody making $50,000 per year?  You could argue that making the fines 'equal' rather than regressive means pegging them to income.  I'm not necessarily arguing that point, but there's some validity to it.

I also think that for more serious offenses, people should give up their time, not just their money.  For busy people, time is at a premium and for me at least, being forced to spend my leisure time doing community service would be more of a deterrent than even a heavy fine.  But of course, that wouldn't bring in revenue, so I'm sure it wouldn't be widely used.

BimmerM3

having the fines based off of your wealth should be illegal. Punishments have to be equal across the board.

+1.

dazzleman

Quote from: BimmerM3 on August 15, 2010, 07:22:52 PM
+1.

C'mon Charlie, where's your entrepreneurial spirit?  Don't you want the opportunity to one day be fined $1 million for speeding like this Swedish dude?  :evildude:

hotrodalex

Quote from: dazzleman on August 15, 2010, 07:21:26 PM
You could argue it either way.  Does a $500 fine have an equal impact on a dude making $1 million per year as it does on somebody making $50,000 per year?  You could argue that making the fines 'equal' rather than regressive means pegging them to income.  I'm not necessarily arguing that point, but there's some validity to it.

I also think that for more serious offenses, people should give up their time, not just their money.  For busy people, time is at a premium and for me at least, being forced to spend my leisure time doing community service would be more of a deterrent than even a heavy fine.  But of course, that wouldn't bring in revenue, so I'm sure it wouldn't be widely used.

There is some validity to varying fines while the idea is on paper. But in real life you get things like this happening.

I agree about community service for more serious offenses.

cawimmer430

Remind me never to move to Europe. It seems everything is taxed over there. Hell, when are they going charge people for breathing air?  :facepalm:

:winkguy:  :lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

280Z Turbo

I disagree. A $300 ticket is nothing to Bill Gates. The point of tickets is to deter people from "unsafe" :rolleyes: driving. $300 is enough to scare me away, but for Bill Gates, no big deal.

Regardless, going 180 mph in a SLS AMG is awesome, and I hope he gets out of it somehow. :lol:

BENZ BOY15

I agree. There is a good reason behind this....someone who is buying an SLS or a Phantom isn't really going to care about a $5,000 ticket. Make it hurt.

Taxes are progressive, I don't see why tickets should be otherwise. I hate to use a liberal catch phrase....but it is the fair thing to do...IMO.

hotrodalex

Punishments should not be based off of your social/financial standing.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: hotrodalex on August 16, 2010, 06:42:46 PM
I would agree to a point. After a certain speed, it should be financially dependent. A rich guy shouldn't be overly punished for going 10-15 mph over the limit, but if he's going way over the limit, he should be fined much harder than a poor guy going that speed.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

hotrodalex

Quote from: thecarnut on August 16, 2010, 06:45:25 PM
I would agree to a point. After a certain speed, it should be financially dependent. A rich guy shouldn't be overly punished for going 10-15 mph over the limit, but if he's going way over the limit, he should be fined much harder than a poor guy going that speed.

If you can't do the time, don't the crime.

The poor guy shouldn't be going way over the limit if he can't afford the fine.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: hotrodalex on August 16, 2010, 06:53:18 PM
If you can't do the time, don't the crime.

The poor guy shouldn't be going way over the limit if he can't afford the fine.
OK, so say they both get fined $10000 for excessive speeding.

Do you think the rich guy will even flinch at that much money? Why shouldn't he get fined more?
RWD > FWD
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

hotrodalex

Quote from: thecarnut on August 16, 2010, 06:57:59 PM
OK, so say they both get fined $10000 for excessive speeding.

Do you think the rich guy will even flinch at that much money? Why shouldn't he get fined more?

Why should he? Should rich people pay more for milk at the super market too?

Cookie Monster

Quote from: hotrodalex on August 16, 2010, 07:14:33 PM
Why should he? Should rich people pay more for milk at the super market too?
:facepalm:

Speeding tickets are supposed to discourage you from speeding. Comparing it to milk is not the same thing.
RWD > FWD
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

hotrodalex

Bigger fines just mean the government gets more money. If you want to prevent speeding, that's what the point system is for.

68_427

Wow of all the places to pick to speed... he picks car hating Switzerland.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

TBR

180 mph is only safe under very, very limited conditions. At a minimum, seize and destroy the car.

hotrodalex

Quote from: TBR on August 16, 2010, 10:52:35 PM
180 mph is only safe under very, very limited conditions. At a minimum, seize and destroy the car.

Destroy a new SLS?  :cry:

TBR

Quote from: hotrodalex on August 16, 2010, 10:57:29 PM
Destroy a new SLS?  :cry:

I don't like to be killed.

Obviously this would be pending a trial, but those speeds are very dangerous.

2o6

Quote from: TBR on August 16, 2010, 11:02:39 PM
I don't like to be killed.

Obviously this would be pending a trial, but those speeds are very dangerous.

ok

hotrodalex

Raza

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on August 16, 2010, 05:36:33 PM
I agree. There is a good reason behind this....someone who is buying an SLS or a Phantom isn't really going to care about a $5,000 ticket. Make it hurt.

Taxes are progressive, I don't see why tickets should be otherwise. I hate to use a liberal catch phrase....but it is the fair thing to do...IMO.

Fair is treating everyone equally.  Don't use one morally wrong action to justify another.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Destroy?  Why not sell for municipal proceeds?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: hotrodalex on August 16, 2010, 06:42:46 PM

I believe they should be for speeding. Someone who makes $500,000 a year isn't going to care about a $500 ticket, but someone who makes $20,000 probably will.

Therefore, people that make a lot of money won't really care. But they should.

BENZ BOY15

I agree. Except seize and sell it and give the proceeds to orphans.