Almost got into an accident today.....

Started by 2o6, August 16, 2010, 04:14:16 PM

NomisR

Quote from: hotrodalex on August 19, 2010, 08:00:39 PM
That'll do wonders for his insurance.

Well, depends but I don't see how the police can find him at fault unless they did so because he's young and black.  Otherwise, the other guy would be completely at fault no matter how you look at it, even if he lied through his teeth. 

hotrodalex

He's not at fault, but he just got his license. I've known a couple people that have had their rates go up after someone hit them. Guess it depends on the insurance company and policy.

NomisR

Quote from: hotrodalex on August 20, 2010, 03:42:45 AM
He's not at fault, but he just got his license. I've known a couple people that have had their rates go up after someone hit them. Guess it depends on the insurance company and policy.

I don't see how his insurance would go up when he's not at fault though.. but that might vary with states I guess. 

dazzleman

What should be, and what actually is, are two different things.  Any accident puts you at risk of insurance problems, regardless of fault.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

NomisR

Quote from: dazzleman on August 20, 2010, 11:50:37 AM
What should be, and what actually is, are two different things.  Any accident puts you at risk of insurance problems, regardless of fault.

Probably, my last 2 accidents, both being rear ended from a stopped position, didn't effect my insurance rate though.. luckily I guess...

dazzleman

You were lucky.  Technically, accidents not your fault shouldn't affect your insurance.  But you can never be fully sure that the blame will be correctly placed.  Or that the insurance company won't find some other way to screw you over.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

NomisR

Quote from: dazzleman on August 20, 2010, 12:11:52 PM
You were lucky.  Technically, accidents not your fault shouldn't affect your insurance.  But you can never be fully sure that the blame will be correctly placed.  Or that the insurance company won't find some other way to screw you over.
Yeah, that's the problem, because there's always some way where you can be partially at fault.  But in my 2 cases, I don't see how any way I can be at fault when the drivers both admitted fault, and I was stopped for over 10 secs. 

ifcar

Quote from: NomisR on August 20, 2010, 12:27:24 PM
Yeah, that's the problem, because there's always some way where you can be partially at fault.

Not mine. I wasn't moving at the time or even immediately beforehand, just sitting at a red light. Brake lights working, lights on, in the proper lane.