Almost got into an accident today.....

Started by 2o6, August 16, 2010, 04:14:16 PM

2o6

So I'm driving down hill on a three lane road, right? There's a Saturn Ion in the left lane, and I am driving down the right lane. I try to pass the Saturn, but alas the chick decides she wants to make a right turn onto a side street! Without looking, she slowly turns in front of me (but signals!) and I actually locked up my brakes (no abs) and skidded into the curb.

People suck.

GoCougs

Just on the way home an idiot in an LH car twice rocketed up the center lane to cut me off getting into my lane. Twice I tell you. Very close each time. He got the horn on the second attempt but didn't react - so probably not a road rager, just some idiot.

People suck? People should die screaming in a fire.

hotrodalex

When I came home from the junkyard I could have rear ended someone or gotten rear ended. It's a two lane highway and at an intersection with another major road it branches off into a turn lane as well. More than half the cars usually go into the turn lane. Today a whole line of cars went into the turn lane without braking , making it seem like there were no cars up ahead at the light (you couldn't see around the cars). But lo and behold, right when the car in front of me goes into the turn lane, I see the line of cars in my lane is right ahead of where the car switched lanes. Crap. Had to get on the brakes pretty good and prayed the person behind me was paying attention.

Not necessarily anyone's fault, but brake lights would have been nice. That and if people didn't drive such big cars you would be able to see the cars stopped ahead.

Rupert

OMG you skidded into a curb?! I think you probably blew up your engine!
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

93JC

Quote from: 2o6 on August 16, 2010, 04:14:16 PM
So I'm driving down hill on a three lane road, right? There's a Saturn Ion in the left lane, and I am driving down the right lane. I try to pass the Saturn, but alas the chick decides she wants to make a right turn onto a side street! Without looking, she slowly turns in front of me (but signals!) and I actually locked up my brakes (no abs) and skidded into the curb.

People suck.

While the woman who veered into you was obviously not paying attention and didn't check her mirrors/blindspots before moving over and was clearly in the wrong hopefully you will have learned how dangerous it is to pass on the right.

Colonel Cadillac

My mom sorda caused an accident the other day. She was in the right lane humming along and realized she had to turn into the dog food store parking lot immediately (almost missed it), so she braked fairly hard and turned quickly. The two people behind her immediately crashed into each other. It wasn't her fault at all, just funny it was a result of her actions.

2o6

Quote from: 93JC on August 17, 2010, 08:37:38 AM
While the woman who veered into you was obviously not paying attention and didn't check her mirrors/blindspots before moving over and was clearly in the wrong hopefully you will have learned how dangerous it is to pass on the right.

I was under the impression she was going to make a left turn.

Laconian

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on August 17, 2010, 09:10:44 AM
It wasn't her fault at all, just funny it was a result of her actions.
Yeah it was, they wouldn't have crashed if it wasn't because what she did. Contributory negligence from all three drivers.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

GoCougs

Quote from: Laconian on August 17, 2010, 11:30:43 AM
Yeah it was, they wouldn't have crashed if it wasn't because what she did. Contributory negligence from all three drivers.

Nah, she skates free - the person behind has 100% the responsibility not to tail gate.

93JC

Yeah, you were under the impression she was turning left, and she didn't. Don't pass on the right.

ifcar

Quote from: 93JC on August 17, 2010, 04:43:07 PM
Yeah, you were under the impression she was turning left, and she didn't. Don't pass on the right.

If you're in the right lane and the person in the left lane starts going slower, what do you suggest -- just let them set the pace for the entire roadway?

In Maryland, it's legal even to execute a passing maneuver on the right, and I'm sure there's nowhere where you can't go past someone in the right lane.

hotrodalex

Yeah, driving past someone on the right if perfectly fine.

Intentional passing maneuvers on the right (start on left, change to right, pass, go back left) aren't recommended because it can be confusing, especially if the person in front sees you coming up behind them and goes to the right to get out of the way the same time you go to pass on the right. 

2o6

Quote from: 93JC on August 17, 2010, 04:43:07 PM

Yeah, I wasn't passing. I was traveling.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Laconian on August 17, 2010, 11:30:43 AM

I believe he meant legally. Legally, the accident is the fault of third person in line (the guy who rear-ended the person behind his mom).

cawimmer430

Quote from: 2o6 on August 16, 2010, 04:14:16 PM
So I'm driving down hill on a three lane road, right?

Isn't "down hill" correctly spelled as downhill?
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Raza

It is, it is.  However passing on the left is often not an option. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

93JC

Quote from: Raza  on August 19, 2010, 09:16:06 AM
It is, it is.  However passing on the left is often not an option. 

:clap:

The only good reply to my post so far. See kids, this is why Raza is a smart guy: good reading comprehension skills. Notice how I didn't say it was illegal, just that it's dangerous.

ifcar

Quote from: 93JC on August 19, 2010, 10:06:44 AM

The only good reply to my post so far. See kids, this is why Raza is a smart guy: good reading comprehension skills. Notice how I didn't say it was illegal, just that it's dangerous.

Okay, Julian.

2o6

Considering the road opens up from one lane to two lanes (or three lanes to four lanes in total) I don't understand. I continued in the right lane, he went into the left lane (and slowed down as if to make a left turn) but then veered back into the right lane without looking.

hotrodalex

Driving in general is dangerous. The guy could have done the same thing with a left turn and almost hit Kevin if he was passing on the left.

93JC

Quote from: hotrodalex on August 19, 2010, 12:59:36 PM
Driving in general is dangerous. The guy could have done the same thing with a left turn and almost hit Kevin if he was passing on the left.

He wouldn't have been boxed in and hit the curb though.

Fucking Christ, are you guys extra specially dense today? What the hell?

NomisR

Quote from: 93JC on August 19, 2010, 01:18:14 PM

Well, he was going straight while the other guy made an effect to change lane into the left lane only to change back without looking.  While passing on the right is "dangerous".  There's not that much Kevin can do other than to stop, which could be just as dangerous to other drivers.  In the end, it's still the fault of the person to changed lanes to the right without looking.

hotrodalex

Quote from: 93JC on August 19, 2010, 01:18:14 PM

You're the one being dense. It's not about passing on the right, it's about the other driver being an idiot.

93JC

... the woman who veered into you was obviously not paying attention and didn't check her mirrors/blindspots before moving over and was clearly in the wrong...

:huh:

ifcar

There are definitely ways to avoid bad drivers. But to point out that there's a risk inherent in passing someone when there's no real alternative implies it was a bad decision to drive past the slow-moving left-lane driver.

93JC

It certainly isn't a safe decision to pass someone on the right at a speed such that in order to avoid an accident one must lock up the brakes and hit the curb, on the assumption they're turning left for no other reason than they're moving slowly in the left lane.

ifcar

Quote from: 93JC on August 19, 2010, 02:35:48 PM
It certainly isn't a safe decision to pass someone on the right at a speed such that in order to avoid an accident one must lock up the brakes and hit the curb, on the assumption they're turning left for no other reason than they're moving slowly in the left lane.

It's just not a reasonable decision to not drive past someone because there's a possibility they might make a right turn from the left lane.

2o6

It wasn't even about passing. The road opens up from one lane to two........the ION chose the left lane, I chose the right.

NomisR

Quote from: 2o6 on August 19, 2010, 02:56:58 PM
It wasn't even about passing. The road opens up from one lane to two........the ION chose the left lane, I chose the right.

What you should've done is just let them hit you and wait for the police to come by. 

hotrodalex

Quote from: NomisR on August 19, 2010, 03:03:18 PM
What you should've done is just let them hit you and wait for the police to come by. 

That'll do wonders for his insurance.