Wheel Bearings!

Started by 850CSi, August 23, 2010, 10:44:02 AM

850CSi

Ok, so on my way down here, somewhere in TN, I started noticing something, especially at higher speeds. Whenever my steering wheel was even a slight bit left of center, there was an audible humming coming from what seemed to be the left front wheel well. Car feels totally fine otherwise.

I had bearing issues back when I had the A4 and had them all replaced. This feels (rather, sounds) very similar.

My car has ~44k miles. Normal? How hard are these to replace? Should I take it to the Bimmer dealership and let them take care of it or is this something I could DIY?

Rich

been hopping curbs or a lot of potholes?
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

SVT_Power

If you have a press handy, then it's a possible DIY job. Otherwise, you better be one freakishly strong guy  :lol:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

giant_mtb

If you were to buy the whole hub assembly - with bearings already installed - you could very well make it a DIY job.  But otherwise, I don't really think one can replace just a bearing without the proper equipment.

But I'm no mechanic.

850CSi

Quote from: HotRodPilot on August 23, 2010, 12:13:04 PM
been hopping curbs or a lot of potholes?

Not really. I lived in the Midwest before here, the roads up there were much worse. I just put a new set of rims/tires on and drove down.

MX793

It's not unheard of for wheel bearings to fail before 50K miles.

Isn't the car still under warranty?  It should be a free replacement if it is.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5