The Mazda CX-9 thread

Started by ifcar, August 28, 2010, 08:24:18 PM

ifcar

Driving this for the week:

What should I be watching out for? Catman, particular pros/cons I should be aware of?

Photos/specs:
http://www.examiner.com/autos-in-national/a-week-the-2010-mazda-cx-9-introduction

omicron

Oh no! They've ruined it with that stupid grille and oversized foglight surrounds.

ifcar

Atomic

Quote from: omicron on August 29, 2010, 12:43:47 AM
Oh no! They've ruined it with that stupid grille and oversized foglight surrounds.

mazda really seems to be into the smiley face-look lately. works far better here, on a cool family hauler, than on the once sportier looking mazda3. warning! leave the mighty miata alone, i say  :mrcool:! < what smile? lol!

2o6

Quote from: Atomic on August 29, 2010, 10:11:38 AM
mazda really seems to be into the smiley face-look lately. works far better here, on a cool family hauler, than on the once sportier looking mazda3. warning! leave the mighty miata alone, i say  :mrcool:! < what smile? lol!

Too late.

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Catman

I love my CX-9.  One of the very best cars I have owned. Couple things I don't like:

- Dim halogens
- Thin carpet
- Didn't care for the OEM roof rack (replaced with a Thule)
- Downshifts are a bit slow when passing.
- No RDS on the radio
- Visibility could be better out the back

That's about it.  Haven't run out of room yet with it.  Handles great and rides decent with the 18's.  

Atomic

Quote from: Catman on August 29, 2010, 05:15:28 PM
I love my CX-9.  One of the very best cars I have owned. Couple things I don't like:

- Dim halogens
- Thin carpet
- No RDS on the radio

That's about it.  Haven't run out of room yet with it.  Handles great and rides decent with the 18's. 

i remember how stoked you were after delivery, greg. you made me take note of this sharp vehicle. does the cx-9 have a cvt? with the blind spot, is there a rear review camera and/or auditory sensors? does the high-end model offer l.e.d. lights? if not, these seem like easy enough fixes for newer mazda cx-9's, as they continue to approve upon an already outstanding package and crossover/suv. good report.

Catman

Quote from: Atomic on August 29, 2010, 07:14:20 PM
i remember how stoked you were after delivery, greg. you made me take note of this sharp vehicle. does the cx-9 have a cvt? with the blind spot, is there a rear review camera and/or auditory sensors? does the high-end model offer l.e.d. lights? if not, these seem like easy enough fixes for newer mazda cx-9's, as they continue to approve upon an already outstanding package and crossover/suv. good report.

I believe the Grand Touring comes with HID headlights and back up sensors (IF?).  Mine is a Touring model so it doesn't have some of the those options.

Atomic

Quote from: Catman on August 29, 2010, 07:32:44 PM
I believe the Grand Touring comes with HID headlights and back up sensors (IF?).  Mine is a Touring model so it doesn't have some of the those options.

when car shopping, i check every box of the top level model until the reality of paying for it! lol. i priced a volvo xc60 at just below $50,000.00 and a vw tiguan sel approaching $39,000.00 with most accessories. yikes! cost cutting is a given.

Catman

Quote from: Atomic on August 29, 2010, 07:44:17 PM
when car shopping, i check every box of the top level model until the reality of paying for it! lol. i priced a volvo xc60 at just below $50,000.00 and a vw tiguan sel approaching $39,000.00 with most accessories. yikes! cost cutting is a given.

Get a CX-9 loaded.

ifcar

Quote from: Catman on August 29, 2010, 05:15:28 PM
I love my CX-9.  One of the very best cars I have owned. Couple things I don't like:

- Dim halogens
- Thin carpet
- No RDS on the radio

That's about it.  Haven't run out of room yet with it.  Handles great and rides decent with the 18's. 

I agree about passing, and I'll check the carpets on mine. This one doesn't even have a factory rack installed, but as a Grand Touring it does have a backup camera. Visibility even without the camera really is on par for the low standards of the class, for the most part.

Atomic

the new infiniti q (suv) has a really cool camera system that covers the entire area around the vehicle. in time, i think this system will make its way onto other vehicles. after having experience with a rear view camera, i doubt i can live without it. i would opt for the grand touring cx-9 just for one.

r0tor

How does it compare to the cx-7 besides being bigger?
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

ifcar

Quote from: r0tor on September 01, 2010, 05:41:00 AM
How does it compare to the cx-7 besides being bigger?

They're only similar in looks, inside and out. They're otherwise unrelated. The CX-9 has a big V6 instead of a 4, a lot more space, and better ride and handling for its size -- but it's much bigger.

Basically, if you like one, you probably aren't looking at the other. It's like "what's the difference between a Corolla and Camry?"

Atomic

Quote from: ifcar on September 01, 2010, 07:30:51 AM
They're only similar in looks, inside and out. They're otherwise unrelated. The CX-9 has a big V6 instead of a 4, a lot more space, and better ride and handling for its size -- but it's much bigger.

Basically, if you like one, you probably aren't looking at the other. It's like "what's the difference between a Corolla and Camry?"

they look way too much alike. i think it would be more cost effective to have one model with an extended version offered. it seems as though the cx-9 rates better for more reasons other than just room. perhaps that could be the basis, yet, mazda is obviously selling a fair amount of both or they would have thought of this.

Atomic

i can see that the rear windows go all the way down. i like that. the family's accord and my many maxima's allowed for it, too. what a huge difference in driving with all fours down and sunroof open! speaking of that, i would like to see a panorama roof option. they are growing in popularity. the volvo xc60 has the best i have ever been in thus far. extremely light, airy and cheerful. makes driving, especially in the wintertime (with all of the added sunlight) more bearable!

Catman

ifcar

ifcar

I'm waiting for the new Explorer before publishing a comparison.

Catman

Quote from: ifcar on November 25, 2010, 06:46:20 PM
I'm waiting for the new Explorer before publishing a comparison.

IC

Atomic

i am not attracted to the new explorer whatsoever, but i do love the changes to the '11 edge and lincoln mkx... but the price can really build up! i would stick with the mazda for looks, any way vs. the explorer. i am certain that the new ford will be awesome. it just looks blah.

Catman

After 62,000 miles I still love this vehicle.  Brakes aren't even half worn.  Just put on some new Michelin's the other day!

SVT666

Atomic

Quote from: Catman on August 30, 2012, 08:27:58 PM
After 62,000 miles I still love this vehicle.  Brakes aren't even half worn.  Just put on some new Michelin's the other day!

I remember when you first acquired it and comparing it to what we loved most about owning Maxima's. The vehicle has really kept its modern looks. IMO, it even looks fresher than the all new CX-5, yet that, too, is a nice car. Still, the "9" is awesome. It would be my choice among Mazda's.

No Mazda dealers close by. We had two and they closed when Ford became involved (or at least more involved) many years ago. I think FMC saw Mazda as competition and closed the dealerships. I wish I had the capital and influence to open up a franchise now that Ford sold off its shares. I see the brand on the upswing with the new CX-5 and 2014 Mazda6, plus upgrades across the board.

Atomic

Quote from: SVT666 on August 31, 2012, 02:15:47 AM
no accessory keyboard.

junk

Not certain what you mean by accessory keyboard, bro?

Ford's keypad type entry or a smart key?

Raza

Quote from: Catman on August 30, 2012, 08:27:58 PM
After 62,000 miles I still love this vehicle.  Brakes aren't even half worn.  Just put on some new Michelin's the other day!

62,000 miles on one set of tires!? 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

At 180k the subaru is only on its second set, although they'll need to be replaced soon.

I've always liked the CX9, glad to hear it's still treating you well.

68_427

Yeah I'm pretty sure my car is on it's second set at 160K+
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no