Two questions about changing tires

Started by BENZ BOY15, August 31, 2010, 01:15:34 AM

BENZ BOY15

Some people have told me that when you loosen the lugnuts initially, you do one and then do the opposite. That's what I do. However, I've been told that you can just do it in a circle fashion. ?

I've also wondered this: If you're on a slope and there is no flat area anywhere, what do you do? I thought about this last spring when I was up visiting a friend way up in the hills above San Jose where the roads are VERY steep.

I know you should put a rock or some other object to prevent the car from moving. But on roads such as those near my friend's house...this doesn't strike me as very sufficient.

MX793

For tightening the lugs, you should always tighten opposites.  For loosening/removing lugs, it really doesn't matter.  You can just work your way around the lugs in a circle.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Byteme

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on August 31, 2010, 01:15:34 AM
Some people have told me that when you loosen the lugnuts initially, you do one and then do the opposite. That's what I do. However, I've been told that you can just do it in a circle fashion. ?

I've also wondered this: If you're on a slope and there is no flat area anywhere, what do you do? I thought about this last spring when I was up visiting a friend way up in the hills above San Jose where the roads are VERY steep.

I know you should put a rock or some other object to prevent the car from moving. But on roads such as those near my friend's house...this doesn't strike me as very sufficient.

The lug question has been answered

For the other, go to Walmart and buy some wheel chocks.  I've seen packs of two plastic chocks in the automobile section for about $5-6.

BENZ BOY15

68_427

If you use anything more than a hammer... you're doing it wrong.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

MX793

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on August 31, 2010, 08:31:07 AM
Why is that exactly?

You tighten opposites to ensure that torque (and therefore preload) on all of the lugs is equal.  If you snug them in a circle, the preload on the lugs won't be equal and bad things can happen (warped brake rotors being one).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

BENZ BOY15

AutobahnSHO

big rock or brick should work fine. Put the transmission in gear or P, use the parking brake.

ALSO
I'm a lightweight guy and one time I jacked the car up to change the tire and couldn't get the lugnuts loose. I'd turn the tire before they loosened. (front tire on a RWD car.)  So LOOSEN THEM BEFORE you lift the car. (just a half turn.)

And TIGHTEN THEM AGAIN AFTER the car is on the ground. ;)
Will

BimmerM3

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on September 01, 2010, 06:42:00 PM
big rock or brick should work fine. Put the transmission in gear or P, use the parking brake.

ALSO
I'm a lightweight guy and one time I jacked the car up to change the tire and couldn't get the lugnuts loose. I'd turn the tire before they loosened. (front tire on a RWD car.)  So LOOSEN THEM BEFORE you lift the car. (just a half turn.)

And TIGHTEN THEM AGAIN AFTER the car is on the ground. ;)

Definitely a good point. I forgot to tighten them once after I changed my oil and rotated tires, and the car felt really weird. I quickly pulled over and grabbed the lug wrench from the trunk.

SVT_Power

Quote from: BimmerM3 on September 01, 2010, 11:01:47 PM
Definitely a good point. I forgot to tighten them once after I changed my oil and rotated tires, and the car felt really weird. I quickly pulled over and grabbed the lug wrench from the trunk.

Oldie but a goodie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyMDNzhfwn0

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

hotrodalex

Quote from: MX793 on August 31, 2010, 03:27:48 PM
You tighten opposites to ensure that torque (and therefore preload) on all of the lugs is equal.  If you snug them in a circle, the preload on the lugs won't be equal and bad things can happen (warped brake rotors being one).

I just always go opposite, even when taking them off. That way it's just automatic and I don't have to worry about forgetting to do it when I put them on.

r0tor

I use a welder to put the wheels back on... Weight reduction from no lugnuts and you don't have to worry about getting your spinners jacked in da hood since most of those theif types don't carry around angle grinders
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: r0tor on September 02, 2010, 06:01:10 AM
I use a welder to put the wheels back on... Weight reduction from no lugnuts and you don't have to worry about getting your spinners jacked in da hood since most of those theif types don't carry around angle grinders

That's a lot of equipment to carry in the trunk with the spare
Will