taxi duty

Started by Vinsanity, September 01, 2010, 11:30:49 AM

Vinsanity

A few posts here got me thinking...what would be the ideal car to use as a taxi. So I figured I'd throw another "fun" scenario out here.

Let's say you're an independent taxi operator, and you get to choose pretty much any car you want to use for taxi duty. Only rules are the car must have four doors, and you must purchase/lease and maintain the car with your own out-of-pocket money. So unless you have some crazy idea as to how to turn a profit using a BMW M5 as a taxi, then please be realistic.

From a design standpoint, the Crown Vic is far from the ideal taxi. It gets bad gas mileage, is combersome to lug around on crowded city streets, and doesn't have a lot of space inside compared to the size of the car. But parts are dirt cheap, and a lot of mechanics with basic knowledge can work on their engines blindfolded.

A Scion XB would be a good practical choice because of its better gas mileage, space-efficient packaging, and solid, simple mechanicals.

But if I could have a little fun with this scenario, I would choose a resto-modded Volvo 240 with a Chevy small-block V8 under the hood. The motor could be built for durability by using the most rugged parts available, and it would still make enough power to be fun. I could even get a little creative with the livery design to make it a little eye-catching. Fueling it up would be at least as expensive as a Crown Vic, but at least I'd have a little fun making my rounds.

the Teuton

I think the Mazda5 with or without the rearmost seat would be ideal...or when the hybrid Transit Connect comes out, that'd do, too.

If I could spend any amount of money on a taxi, though, I'd go with a Chrysler 300 or Crown Vic converted to being a hybrid, though...with V6s instead of V8s.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Vinsanity

haha, that Mazdaspeed 5 that C/D built would be pretty cool :rockon:

heck, I could probably have a lot of fun in an HHR SS Turbo with some flame graphics :lol: or a PT Cruiser turbo with some SRT-4 upgrades.

Laconian

The Mazda5's middle row captain's chairs aren't fat passenger friendly.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Colin

I'd have thought that the Skoda Superb would tick all the boxes.......... (apart from availability in America). it's very roomy in the back, and has a huge boot, but in TDi form is cheap to run and reasonably cheap to buy. If you were feeling indulgent, you could buy the 3.6 litre petrol one and surprised your fares! 

93JC

What would make the best taxi, given an average taxi driver's monetary resources? That's like asking whether I should take Metamucil or Benefibre: who fucking cares?

Sorry, I don't mean to be as big a dickhead as I am, but the answer is whatever is least expensive to own and operate with the most available room. Chances are if you did the math you'd find the answer really is something like a Crown Vic.

giant_mtb

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

giant_mtb

What's special about the Cartier over a regular L?

the Teuton

giant_mtb

Quote from: the Teuton on September 01, 2010, 01:36:06 PM
Bling.

Psh.  Bling doesn't matter too much in the taxi business.

the Teuton

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 01, 2010, 01:44:42 PM
Psh.  Bling doesn't matter too much in the taxi business.

True. The Town Car is basically an industrial-grade lux car anyway.

And it's not terrible to drive, either. Ending its production will kinda be a sad when it happens.

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

cawimmer430

I'd probably go with a diesel Mercedes B-Class, definitely a B180 CDI with 109-horsepower. They're very fuel efficient, reliable and the leg- and head-space at the back are just as good as that of the E-Class. I believe they're cheaper to run than the E-Class as well. The B-Class can also haul a lot of extra weight around. It's pretty much an ideal taxi car that works well in the city and for rural trips.

The Toyota Prius also makes a lot of sense because of the hybrid setup, but it would be even better if it had a diesel engine for that extra efficiency. I'm not to familiar with the leg space and payload capacity of the Prius III though. Is it any good?
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Xer0

Accord DX

Its big, relatively fuel efficient, and in base trim is pretty cheap.

MX793

Dodge Grand Caravan.  Fuel mileage isn't stellar, but it's roomy, easy ingress and egress for passengers and, in base trim, relatively inexpensive.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

BimmerM3

I'd just import some London Taxis. :huh:

For more cargo room, I'd probably go with the Mazda5 (I swear I thought of it before everyone else posted it).

Atomic

lincoln has stopped making designer series town cars years ago. the last special edition was called the "ultimate" a couple of years ago. the executive was built primarily for fleet usage, and the "signature", the pedestrian version sold via dealerships. the ultimate had special badging and added chrome, but that was about it. over the years, fmc even eliminated the optional sun/moon roof. navigation was only offered for one-two years, i think either/or 2008/2009. strange to take away something (once offered) so essential to many luxury-minded customers. ford did not add any new colors for the longest stretch, just eliminating some slowly - even interior offerings were reduced.

Atomic

best: the ford transit or dodge's/ram's upcoming fiat-derived competitor. i like the size and roominess of these "compact" vans/trucks.

2o6

I disagree with the Mazda 5. Those rear seats are too small, and the rearmost ones are too close to each other.

Atomic

Quote from: 2o6 on September 01, 2010, 06:41:03 PM
I disagree with the Mazda 5. Those rear seats are too small, and the rearmost ones are too close to each other.
:hesaid:

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

SVT666

Quote from: HotRodPilot on September 01, 2010, 11:07:01 PM
2011 Mustang GT
Fuck yeah!

Actually I would pick the Toyota Prius.

SVT_Power

Quote from: Xer0 on September 01, 2010, 03:57:18 PM
Accord DX

Its big, relatively fuel efficient, and in base trim is pretty cheap.

Cougs?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

omicron

Quote from: 93JC on September 01, 2010, 01:22:29 PM
What would make the best taxi, given an average taxi driver's monetary resources? That's like asking whether I should take Metamucil or Benefibre: who fucking cares?

Chime in, chaps! What soothing remedy is best for our constipated comrade?

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Mustangfan2003

I think my Benz would work well, apart from being in the shop right now.

Northlands

Quote from: MX793 on September 01, 2010, 04:02:43 PM
Dodge Grand Caravan.  Fuel mileage isn't stellar, but it's roomy, easy ingress and egress for passengers and, in base trim, relatively inexpensive.

+1. Cheap and lots of room.

I guess you and I will be the only ones taking on airport customers that total more than 2 people.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Xer0

Quote from: SVT_Power on September 02, 2010, 01:42:07 AM
Cougs?

:lol:

I was thinking about this on the way to work and taking notice of all different types of cars that taxi companies use.  I saw:

Scion XB
Dodge Caravan
Ford Escape and the Escape Hybrid
Crown Vic (of course)
Camry Hybrid
New Hyundai Sonata
Nissan Murano
Honda Accord
Toyota Siena
Toyota Prius
Chrysler 300
Nissan Rogue (I didn't get this one honestly)

Vinsanity

If I were to run a taxi fleet, I'd use mostly XB's, Cubes, Kia Souls, PT Cruisers, and HHR's.

There's a taxi company that operates out of Santa Monica that runs exclusively (AFAIK) late-model Mercedes, about 5-10 years old. I used to see them run a lot of W140 S-classes when I was there during college, but lately, it's been mostly W210 E-classes.

There's also a taxi company in Vegas that runs a lot of 1st and 2nd gen CTS's :mask: