Toronto named one of worst ?Speed Trap Cities?

Started by SVT_Power, September 01, 2010, 04:09:33 PM

SVT_Power

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/crime/article/855524--toronto-named-one-of-worst-speed-trap-cities?bn=1

Slow down, Toronto, you?re going too fast.

Toronto received the dubious honour of being deemed the Ontario city with the most speed traps by the National Motorists Association in their annual list of ?Worst North American Speed Trap Cities.?

It?s a no-brainer that in Canada?s largest city, we like to push the limit.

But it seems our police officers like cashing in on it more so than others, with more ticket-blitz zones set up around town than Los Angeles, New York City and Montreal combined.

The list was determined by counting specific speed trap zones in cities sent in by users to the National Speed Trap Exchange website.

?Toronto by far, at least in the province of Ontario, has the most speed traps that have been submitted by drivers through the area,? says Gary Biller, executive director of the motorists? association, which runs the website.

?On the National Speed Trap Exchange website, we have 56 different pages under Toronto for a list of speed traps,? Biller says. ?That amounts to about 250 to 260 individual speed trap locations that have been reported over the past few years.?

In comparison, Montreal had 65 reported speed traps; Calgary, 122; Los Angeles, 155. And New York City, only 30.

So what are some hot spots to avoid in Toronto? The website is chock full of driver warnings, with the Allen Expressway notorious for its speeding-ticket happy police officers.

?Travelling southbound on the Allen Expressway (Allen Rd)., cruisers are known to hide on the Lawrence Ave. on-ramp. They?ve got the speed detection right above you as you come out of the Lawrence Ave. overpass. There?s no way around it,? one user wrote on the website.

On July 18, another driver wrote this about Scarlett Rd., just north of St. Clair Ave. E.: ?If you?re coming southbound on Scarlet Rd., (sic) you?ll be going up a significant hill, thus you accelerate harder and as the road levels out, you?re going a little quicker than 50 kilometres per hour. The cops usually wait down the road near the entrance of the golf club. (Also a community zone, fines are increased).?

So beware in Toronto, and don?t be too hasty. At least, not where the police are watching.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SVT_Power

You know what's funny? I was traveling on the stretch of road mentioned in the article (Allen Rd) this morning and I was thinking to myself "wow this would be a dead perfect place for a speed trap"...
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

dazzleman

Quote from: SVT_Power on September 01, 2010, 04:10:20 PM
You know what's funny? I was traveling on the stretch of road mentioned in the article (Allen Rd) this morning and I was thinking to myself "wow this would be a dead perfect place for a speed trap"...

Just your presence in Toronto alone is enough to bring up the average speed and make it attractive to set up speed traps, Ed..... :evildude:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

93JC

Northlands

I'd love to get the stats for my city. They're everywhere. Roadside laser, traffic cameras at intersections, and my favorite, not so anonymous generic dodge/ford camera vehicle parked next to schools, community centres , playgrounds and parks. The last ones are my favorite, especially when parked there at 2 a.m. Their claim is for people to slow down in child-centric zones. You know, for when your kids are playing on the monkey bars at 3 in the morning.  :nutty:

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS