Dodge Durango!

Started by 2o6, September 02, 2010, 08:12:10 AM

Submariner

I'm very, very impressed. 

The Durango has no business sharing lot space with the shit box Caliber - truly, two different worlds. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Cookie Monster

Quote from: the Teuton on September 03, 2010, 11:45:45 AM
Okay, I like this more than the Explorer. It's a shame it's a Chrysler product.
Pssh, you probably cry yourself to sleep every night wishing that was the next Subaru Tribeca. :devil:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

the Teuton

Quote from: thecarnut on September 03, 2010, 12:28:34 PM
Pssh, you probably cry yourself to sleep every night wishing that was the next Subaru Tribeca. :devil:

It looks fantastic. But it's not out there enough to be a Subie.

I really, really like it. And the new GC looks as good in the flesh as it does in pics. I bet the Durango will be the same. It's a cut price Mercedes GL. It's a bargain.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

SVT666

I like it more than the Explorer as well, though I would like to see interior photos of the Durango.

Galaxy

I like it. I wonder if Europe will get it with a diesel? Well it would make a good alternative to the Jeep GC which we get.

Atomic

Quote from: Submariner on September 03, 2010, 11:55:55 AM
I'm very, very impressed. 

The Durango has no business sharing lot space with the shit box Caliber - truly, two different worlds. 

the changes start with the all new durango and 2011 charger, so things are finally looking good! nearly everything in chrysler's line-up will be upgraded this model year - with even bigger changes to be made across the board.

omicron

Quote from: the Teuton on September 03, 2010, 11:45:45 AM
Okay, I like this more than the Explorer. It's a shame it's a Chrysler product.

Nonsense! That means it gets a Hemi!

Atomic

Quote from: omicron on September 05, 2010, 09:02:23 AM
Nonsense! That means it gets a Hemi!

i am excited to see chrysler, as the undergo rise from the ashes. i am enamored by the onslaught of new products coming from chrysler, jeep, dodge and ram. fmc's getting cocky and the new explorer looks lame to me. actually, i would love to see all three "united states" brand success and compete as in years past.

SVT666

The new Explorer isn't lame, but the FWD biased AWD system puts me off a little.

Atomic

Quote from: SVT666 on September 05, 2010, 03:03:46 PM
The new Explorer isn't lame, but the FWD biased AWD system puts me off a little.

educate me if you will, as i am definitely getting an awd/4wd vehicle fairly soon. what would this system compare to? the honda crosstour, perhaps? the subaru outback and audi a4's differ from the honda, eh?

giant_mtb

Audi's is rear-biased; dunno if Subaru's is 50/50 fixed or what...

SVT666

It would be fairly similar to the Accord Crosstour I guess.  But if you drive a Ford Flex, it would be exactly like that.  The Explorer's system does have 4x4 and 4x4 Low, but you can feel the difference especially if the roads are a bit slick.

Atomic

Quote from: SVT666 on September 05, 2010, 03:43:49 PM
It would be fairly similar to the Accord Crosstour I guess.  But if you drive a Ford Flex, it would be exactly like that.  The Explorer's system does have 4x4 and 4x4 Low, but you can feel the difference especially if the roads are a bit slick.

got ya! someone with a current explorer or like-vehicle would certainly miss the truck-like utilitarian awd system, i see. i take it that the system on the flex is more fuel and cost efficient?

MX793

Quote from: Atomic on September 05, 2010, 04:18:42 PM
got ya! someone with a current explorer or like-vehicle would certainly miss the truck-like utilitarian awd system, i see. i take it that the system on the flex is more fuel and cost efficient?

The FWD biased system on the Flex (and upcoming Explorer) is a result of the vehicle being built on a FWD car platform (namely the Taurus's Volvo-developed D3 platform) rather than a RWD platform.  Same with the Honda Pilot and Ridgeline (which are based on the Odyssey's platform, itself heavily based on the Accord).  It's cost efficient by virtue of the fact that Ford didn't have to design a brand new platform and can share components across the several models based on that platform.  And FWD based systems are typically a little more fuel efficient than RWD.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Atomic

Quote from: MX793 on September 05, 2010, 04:41:05 PM
The FWD biased system on the Flex (and upcoming Explorer) is a result of the vehicle being built on a FWD car platform (namely the Taurus's Volvo-developed D3 platform) rather than a RWD platform.  Same with the Honda Pilot and Ridgeline (which are based on the Odyssey's platform, itself heavily based on the Accord).  It's cost efficient by virtue of the fact that Ford didn't have to design a brand new platform and can share components across the several models based on that platform.  And FWD based systems are typically a little more fuel efficient than RWD.

interesting, but doesn't the volvo-derived fords (the s80, i think) start off as rwd. i am pretty certain the s80 comes with either rwd or awd.

CJ

Volvo ditched RWD in 1998.  The S80 is either FWD or FWD-based AWD.

Atomic

Quote from: CJ on September 05, 2010, 08:16:39 PM
Volvo ditched RWD in 1998.  The S80 is either FWD or FWD-based AWD.

interesting! i think i have only seen awd versions when admiring those cool xc60's on dealer lots and showroom floors. sweet!

r0tor

Kind of ironic that the products of the partnership between chrysler and mercedes are first coming out now... After the marriage has already ended
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

the Teuton

Quote from: r0tor on September 06, 2010, 08:47:18 AM
Kind of ironic that the products of the partnership between chrysler and mercedes are first coming out now... After the marriage has already ended

You think the SLS AMG-based Viper will be coming out anytime soon?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

SVT666

I read that the SLS was supposed to be the Viper originally.

Atomic

Quote from: SVT666 on September 06, 2010, 10:31:47 AM

so did i! a collaborative project, but where was the article? i do not recall. "road and track" (october 2010) periodical has a rendering of the next generation viper confirmed by chrysler - the car, not necessarily the design. i love the shape!

rohan

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 02, 2010, 09:19:09 AM
:mask:

Crazy Americans!  :devil:
Well let's be fair here- it wasn't meant to be a street car it was meant to propel us to victory over our European enemies.  We have the EU to thank for it becoming a road vehicle- Ahnuld got one and caused GM to market it- so it's all your guy's fault it was ever on the road.
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

TBR

Quote from: r0tor on September 06, 2010, 08:47:18 AM

Product development cycles aren't that long. You can probably figure that anything after the LX cars was at the very least Mercedes influenced.

Galaxy

Quote from: SVT666 on September 06, 2010, 10:31:47 AM

I think that rumor started because Mercedes ran the first SLS test mules with Viper bodywork.

MX793

Quote from: TBR on September 06, 2010, 01:50:45 PM
Product development cycles aren't that long. You can probably figure that anything after the LX cars was at the very least Mercedes influenced.

Not really.  The crap-tastic Caliber (and siblings) and thoroughly mediocre Avenger/Sebring actually pulled mostly from Mitsubishi rather than from Mercedes' parts bin.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

TBR

Quote from: MX793 on September 06, 2010, 02:47:06 PM
Not really.  The crap-tastic Caliber (and siblings) and thoroughly mediocre Avenger/Sebring actually pulled mostly from Mitsubishi rather than from Mercedes' parts bin.

Right, but Daimler Benz management were the ones that made the decision to do that. There's no way development on the Sebring and Caliber had made much progress before the new management was in place, if it had started at all (remember, the 2nd gen Neon and cloud cars weren't even out when the 'merger' occurred)

rohan

Didn't Chrysler have that advanced prototype to production facility?  Seems like they used to bring cars to market in less then 18 months using that wonder what became of it?
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

2o6

Quote from: rohan on September 06, 2010, 03:22:01 PM
Didn't Chrysler have that advanced prototype to production facility?  Seems like they used to bring cars to market in less then 18 months using that wonder what became of it?

Damiler likely cut it to pieces.

r0tor

Quote from: rohan on September 06, 2010, 03:22:01 PM

It was a bunch of bunk... Around the same time they also claimed to have injection molded an entire jeep body - which was also bunk as my cousin was on the team that faked it for an auto show
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Atomic

Quote from: TBR on September 06, 2010, 03:12:01 PM
Right, but Daimler Benz management were the ones that made the decision to do that. There's no way development on the Sebring and Caliber had made much progress before the new management was in place, if it had started at all (remember, the 2nd gen Neon and cloud cars weren't even out when the 'merger' occurred)

so far, the current arrangement with fiat looks the most promising of all. it will be sink or swim. the new jgc, durango and lx cars (were to be called "ly" this time 'round, i think) should be an enormous boost before the promising fiat-based cars and collaborations begin production.