The Official MX-5 Miata Thread

Started by Onslaught, September 09, 2010, 01:35:50 PM

Mustangfan2003

Quote from: Raza  on March 10, 2014, 08:33:15 AM
That is one of the worst shows in the history of television.

I disagree.  CMT has some sort of redneck version of Jersey Shore now so that's likely 20 times worse. 

Raza

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on March 10, 2014, 09:42:37 AM
I disagree.  CMT has some sort of redneck version of Jersey Shore now so that's likely 20 times worse.

Fine, worst scripted show.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

AutobahnSHO

I miss my Miata.   Fiancee is cool with getting one but demands equal left-seat time. And a stickshift.

Hmmmmmm......  what to do???   :lol:
Will

Laconian

You know what to do.

What about something like a MR-2 Spyder?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

FoMoJo

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on March 10, 2014, 07:25:01 AM
People progressively become less "cool" as they age, it's understandable why you would get comments like that.
Nonsense, nobody's cooler than Willie Nelson.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Laconian

People become very cold once they croak.

Raza

Quote from: Laconian on March 10, 2014, 01:18:39 PM
You know what to do.

Yeah, definitely get an MR-2 Spyder.  They're better in every way except for cargo space and looks than Miatas.  Unless you're talking about NA MX-5s, then they're even on looks. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Laconian

My sense is that NA Miatas have been discovered by mouthbreathing idiots and are disappearing rapidly due to wanton ricing/hellaflushing.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: Raza  on March 10, 2014, 08:33:15 AM
That is one of the worst shows in the history of television.

yeah it is lame as fuck, but at least I got that gif out of it from this thread :P

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Raza

Quote from: Secret Chimp on March 10, 2014, 02:07:11 PM
yeah it is lame as fuck, but at least I got that gif out of it from this thread :P

Looks like they were trying to do a Looper reference, I guess?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on March 10, 2014, 01:18:39 PM
You know what to do.

We definitely want something "fun"- once we get established and the alimony is done and debt is paid off and we have something larger for all the kids (she has an '05 Impreza, conversion van is a gashog, ready to get rid of it)...     (I'm thinking Mazda5 or an SUV to pull a camper later??)

short list
-mini convertible
-miata
-BMW convertible
-mustang convertible
(all manual transmission)

But couple of those are WAAAAAAY too expensive..  I suppose I could put the MR2 on the list.
Will

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Laconian

Pulling a camper will likely require the purchase of yet another gashog.

Mustangfan2003

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 10, 2014, 02:40:46 PM
We definitely want something "fun"- once we get established and the alimony is done and debt is paid off and we have something larger for all the kids (she has an '05 Impreza, conversion van is a gashog, ready to get rid of it)...     (I'm thinking Mazda5 or an SUV to pull a camper later??)

short list
-mini convertible
-miata
-BMW convertible
-mustang convertible
(all manual transmission)

But couple of those are WAAAAAAY too expensive..  I suppose I could put the MR2 on the list.

You could get a Jeep Wrangler.  You can get one with an open top and pull a camper with it. 

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on March 10, 2014, 04:13:08 PM
You could get a Jeep Wrangler.  You can get one with an open top and pull a camper with it. 

Hmmm.... still way expensive though and I'm thinking seven seater.
Will

Rupert

Quote from: Raza  on March 10, 2014, 10:02:50 AM
Fine, worst scripted show.

You think reality TV shows are off the cuff?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rupert on March 10, 2014, 08:37:06 PM

They're not exactly scripted either though.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Raza

Quote from: Rupert on March 10, 2014, 08:37:06 PM

Fine, worst "fully scripted" show. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Secret Chimp

Quote from: Raza  on March 10, 2014, 10:08:07 PM
Fine, worst "fully scripted" show. 

{any sitcom currently on ABC, NBC, or CBS}

le checkmate~

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Secret Chimp on March 11, 2014, 12:45:43 AM
{any sitcom currently on ABC, NBC, or CBS}

le checkmate~

Lordy, sitcoms are as bad as ever. Ever seen Mike and Molly?

I can't believe people still go for the set em up and knock em down canned laughter shit.

Raza

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on March 11, 2014, 07:40:44 AM
Lordy, sitcoms are as bad as ever. Ever seen Mike and Molly?

I can't believe people still go for the set em up and knock em down canned laughter shit.

99% of that shit is horrible, yes.  But New Girl and Modern Family are still great, and Parks & Rec is still good. 

Workaholics makes me want to kill the actors and the crew for being involved in something that bad.  It's one of those crimes that isn't really a crime, because it makes the world a better place.  It's like Nazi hunting.  Sure, it's murder, but it's a better world without them. 

We had it on a while back and I couldn't take it.  After 5 minutes, I told the people I was with that we either had to change the channel, turn off the TV, or I had to leave.  It makes me physically ill, it's so bad.  And I think less of anyone who actually likes it. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Secret Chimp

New Girl has funny moments but I think the show as a whole really just completely ate it during and after the whole Schmidt bullshit. I don't care about who loves who. It was much better before they even went down the "omg le true love" route.

Parks & Rec spawned that whole obnoxious "Ron Swanson mustaches America meat whiskey why no meat bacon bacon bacon man men meat grease woodworking men man man manly America!" stupid shit and I hold that against the show :P I like Amy Poehler but I don't like the excessive blank-faced-earnest-ridiculousness on the show either. It's overplayed.

Modern Family I honestly haven't been interested in watching at all.

The first season of Peep Show is easily the most fun I've had watching a scripted show in awhile.

Raza

Quote from: Secret Chimp on March 11, 2014, 09:54:32 AM
New Girl has funny moments but I think the show as a whole really just completely ate it during and after the whole Schmidt bullshit. I don't care about who loves who. It was much better before they even went down the "omg le true love" route.

Parks & Rec spawned that whole obnoxious "Ron Swanson mustaches America meat whiskey why no meat bacon bacon bacon man men meat grease woodworking men man man manly America!" stupid shit and I hold that against the show :P I like Amy Poehler but I don't like the excessive blank-faced-earnest-ridiculousness on the show either. It's overplayed.

Modern Family I honestly haven't been interested in watching at all.

The first season of Peep Show is easily the most fun I've had watching a scripted show in awhile.

New Girl is the funniest show on TV right now and the funniest since Arrested Development.

You've seen and didn't like Modern Family or you haven't seen it because you're too cool to watch something that popular?  I had reservations about it as well, but it's a solid cast and they do great comedy.  And, unlike Scrubs, they didn't completely fall apart or completely screw up the funny/heartfelt ratio.  Sure, there are character that annoy the shit out of me (Cam, for example), but overall, it's great.

Ron Swanson is a pretty damn funny character, and a nice caricature of what the old definition of "man" was.  If people don't get that it's a joke on so-called manly men, that's their failing.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

280Z Turbo

I thought Parks And Rec was too far over the top to be funny.

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

AutobahnSHO

Isn't there some kind of thread for TV shows??????   :lol:
Will

Secret Chimp

Nah I just plain haven't bothered watching MF. I don't have an opinion on it. I have been looking for new late night comedy so I may try it out this week.

Byteme

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on March 09, 2014, 07:18:17 PM
What does Miata even mean?

If you don't own one and have to ask it means "I wish I had the balls to drive one".

If you own one you know what it means,  "Classic British sports car in a modern package".

Secret Chimp

Quote from: Raza  on March 11, 2014, 10:17:00 AM
New Girl is the funniest show on TV right now and the funniest since Arrested Development.

Honestly I've thought about this and I'm starting to wonder if this is like your Scientology thing because it is not that good, no way.

Onslaught

The name "Miata" came from Rod Bymaster, Mazda's head of product planning and marketing when the MX-5 was being made. He says he saw the word Miata in Webster's Dictionary, which is defined as "reward" in Old High German.
Or this is the story I've seen more the once on Miata sites.