The Official MX-5 Miata Thread

Started by Onslaught, September 09, 2010, 01:35:50 PM

Laconian

I bet that was a great pickup line back in the DADT days. ;)

Gotta love seeing things from your lifetime get referred to as "vintage" or "retro".
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Rich

That sound you hear is the value of NCs going up

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

CaminoRacer

Got a rock chip that turned into a big crack. Safelite quote is only $270 which seems low. I scheduled an appointment but I'll have to call them in a few days and confirm they have the OEM glass and can get replacement trim pieces, or guarantee to not break the current trim when they take it off. The trim is usually $150 each and it's 3 pieces, so that'll bump up the cost a lot.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

CaminoRacer

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 13, 2023, 11:49:27 AMGot a rock chip that turned into a big crack. Safelite quote is only $270 which seems low. I scheduled an appointment but I'll have to call them in a few days and confirm they have the OEM glass and can get replacement trim pieces, or guarantee to not break the current trim when they take it off. The trim is usually $150 each and it's 3 pieces, so that'll bump up the cost a lot.

I called them this afternoon and now it's like $760 for OEM glass and I ordered the pillar trim/garnishes from the Mazda dealership for another $700. Oof. But I can return them if the clips aren't broken during removal. I should tell the tech I'll tip him quite a bit if he's careful and doesn't break the clips.

AutobahnSHO

Will

CaminoRacer

They removed the garnishes without breaking them, so I can return the new ones to the dealership :rockon:

MrH

Why did you order the garnish?  Don't they cut and pull it from the exterior?  I'm not sure how much the interior garnishes come off, except for maybe ACC sensors/cameras, etc.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MrH on August 01, 2023, 12:25:40 PMWhy did you order the garnish?  Don't they cut and pull it from the exterior?  I'm not sure how much the interior garnishes come off, except for maybe ACC sensors/cameras, etc.

They call the outside trim the garnish, which is a bit weird. And if the clips break and they're reinstalled they can fly off on the freeway.

AutobahnSHO

Current status here. Taking off was much easier than putting back on to the frame...

You cannot view this attachment.
Will

AutobahnSHO

So I haven't put all the carpet fasteners back in yet, nor tested in rain or car wash.

Wife had to help me force top closed but let it sit in 90deg sunshine several hours and now I'm able to open and close it fine.

You cannot view this attachment.
Will

CaminoRacer

Nice! Such a big window compared to the ND

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 05, 2023, 06:48:41 PMNice! Such a big window compared to the ND

It's easily double the size of the canvas/ glass top that was in there before!

Will

shp4man

AutobahnSHO

Haven't talked with middle son for a few weeks, called last night and spent most of the time taking about buying a car. He's been eying a red NC that looks a little sketch. Apparently the price has dropped a few times, still around $6k.

There's an auto 2001 same colors as scrappy on FB for $4500 with an extra set of wheels and other goodies about 30min from us, said price may be a little flexible. I'll go check it out tonight. 
Will

CaminoRacer

Yeah I think I'd prefer an NB in better condition for the same price as that NC.

MrH

Yikes, that thing is a bit of a mess.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

I can't do worn steering wheels. I hate covers, so I'd have to replace the whole wheel.

AutobahnSHO

Well son isn't enthusiastic about an auto transmission. Wife doesn't want to spend money. (I wonder if she would drive auto Miata. She's short so it's very hard to get a good driving position for clutch...)
Will

Morris Minor

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 07, 2023, 12:04:40 PMI can't do worn steering wheels. I hate covers, so I'd have to replace the whole wheel.
Sometimes you can remove sweat/grease/hand-lotion glaze & grime with Simple Green.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

giant_mtb

Quote from: Morris Minor on August 14, 2023, 02:42:19 AMSometimes you can remove sweat/grease/hand-lotion glaze & grime with Simple Green.

You sure can.

That wheel, however, is physically worn.  Not just dirty/greasy.

Rich

I took the day off and set out on an early morning drive to see if I could still enjoy driving.  Here's a few photos

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Rich on October 02, 2023, 01:36:18 PMI took the day off and set out on an early morning drive to see if I could still enjoy driving.  Here's a few photos

So pretty!
Will

AutobahnSHO

I pulled up to a stop sign turning left onto a busy road in Scrappy behind an NB. There was a short-ish gap and I just followed NB friend. He waved as we drove. Then we parted ways.

It's finally cool enough here to not be baking even with the A/C on and windows up. For a week or so I had to even put the top up for the drive home or I'd be all gross sweaty.

Today was heater on the way to work (5am) top and windows down with A/C for just part of the drive home...
Will

MrH

Quote from: Rich on October 02, 2023, 01:36:18 PMI took the day off and set out on an early morning drive to see if I could still enjoy driving.  Here's a few photos

Nice 6ULs
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

AutobahnSHO

Got Scrappy up on jackstands, couldn't find the source of the clunking. Will need to take it in.
Will

r0tor

I wish every auto exec would listen to this and learn.

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: r0tor on October 19, 2023, 07:20:56 PMI wish every auto exec would listen to this and learn.

EXCELLENT VIDEO!!!

Miata is truly amazing.
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: r0tor on October 19, 2023, 07:20:56 PMI wish every auto exec would listen to this and learn.

Do not want. Not a Crosssport  Utility Terrain Truck with a 27" touchscreen and 27 cupholders.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Laconian

I took the Miata for a spin today and I'll admit it's fun in a way that the EV6 can't touch. Watch the end of Camissa's video where he's driving around the LA canyons. Can't do that in an EV6. The EV6 is fantastic for daily driving and streaking around straights like a rocket, but it's not playful like the Miata.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT