The Official MX-5 Miata Thread

Started by Onslaught, September 09, 2010, 01:35:50 PM

veeman

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on December 20, 2022, 07:28:23 AM
I found myself browsing auto PRHT NCs this week.....    :mask:

The weather here is almost always good enough for top down, but when it's raining I don't like to drive Scrappy because of visibility, traction, add the top rain noise and it gets pretty bad.

Wife has only driven Scrappy twice- once to get used to it, once because she had to. Auto she would be more likely to drive it if needed, would be nice cruiser for trips, and as I get older my carthusiasm may wane....

Rental spec Ford Mustang convertible. 

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Laconian

Quote from: CALL_911 on December 22, 2022, 10:37:32 AM
I've always liked those a lot. Never really understood the hate

Tweener appeal, I think. Feminine styling and unathletic handling on an expensive boy's toy.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: veeman on December 22, 2022, 07:05:37 AM
Rental spec Ford Mustang convertible. 

For some crazy reason wife hates Stangs of every model. I'd consider otherwise.
Will

CaminoRacer

I got the Antigravity battery. Comes with a little remote to jumpstart it if it ever dies.

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

Do you think you'll notice the weight savings? Does the jumpstart work by reserving some capacity? It's really cool that it's LiFePO4, definitely a better chemistry for safety and cold temp performance.

CaminoRacer

Yes if the BMS senses too much discharge it puts the battery to sleep with enough reserve to start the engine one more time.

I probably won't notice the weight savings of this alone. I've already dropped 15 lbs from the muffler and seat bracket and didn't notice that. But we'll see. I need to do better at autocrossing with less fuel in the tank, that's the easiest weight savings.

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 07, 2023, 01:46:37 PM
Yes if the BMS senses too much discharge it puts the battery to sleep with enough reserve to start the engine one more time.

I probably won't notice the weight savings of this alone. I've already dropped 15 lbs from the muffler and seat bracket and didn't notice that. But we'll see. I need to do better at autocrossing with less fuel in the tank, that's the easiest weight savings.
...or you could go on a diet.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CaminoRacer

AutobahnSHO

Lol it always cracked me up guys spending $$$$$ to get a bicycle a few ounces lighter when they weigh 20lbs more...
Will

AutobahnSHO

Went out for McD's (wife's request, she's sick). 70deg so of course Miata top down. Kid at the window says he loves the car, asks what kind it is. I say "Mazda Miata. This one's a 2000, the new ones are REAAALLY nice!"

"Yours is dope though! Drop top and everything!"  :thumbsup:
Will

r0tor

I think after EVs take over, the loss of lightness will be a bigger crime than the loss of manual transmissions and engine noise
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

AutobahnSHO

Scrappy had to roll with the top up today. :cry:

It rained ultra hard and Odyssey was in the shop for tires.
Will

AutobahnSHO

LOL
I saw someone selling a 1999 Miata Auto with replaced seats (but they're still worn) in same color as Scrappy- with a hardtop, for $5500.

They'd sell the car alone for $4500 and hardtop alone for $2500. Showed wife just for fun, she says do we want to sell Scrappy to buy it. NO!

BUT, she didn't drive Scrappy even once while I was gone- and she's only driven it twice. SO many hills around here- starting on them makes her nervous.

I've actually looked at NB PRHT from time to time- to have a car for "toodling" or long road trips- and sad to say automatic could be the best as we get older. Sure not as much "fun" but some mornings going into the Fort gate uphill at 3mph stop and go I wish I had picked a different car. :cry:

Anyway we just spent so much money on Mav and Scrappy is awesome (for many reasons) AND house payoff plan, I don't think more car expenditures are a good idea for now....
Will

Laconian

You don't want an auto Miata. The engine doesn't make a lot of power to begin with amd automatics from that era were really parasitic.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on April 30, 2023, 03:12:59 PMYou don't want an auto Miata. The engine doesn't make a lot of power to begin with amd automatics from that era were really parasitic.

I know, but it would be a nice 'cruiser'. We really enjoy using the car as a "toodling" car- we get so much good weather here. Sure it's not the fastest even as a manual but my 'thusiast strength gets weaker each year. :lol:
Will

CaminoRacer

An auto ND is probably decent since it's a modern 6 speed.

Laconian

I saw a couple broccoli-haired Gen Z dudes in a PT Cruiser convertible. You should get one of those. ;)

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on April 30, 2023, 10:33:36 PMI saw a couple broccoli-haired Gen Z dudes in a PT Cruiser convertible. You should get one of those. ;)

Those and Mustangs are hard NO from wifey.
Will

Laconian

AutobahnSHO

Lol. The only reason I've been able to drive Miatas is because of the stupid low entry price.

For now we'll just keep what we have.
Will

AutobahnSHO

TWO black NCs for sale on lots near us, one has sticker for $8k. Is it a sign? :lol:
Will

Rich

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on May 06, 2023, 07:29:10 PMTWO black NCs for sale on lots near us, one has sticker for $8k. Is it a sign? :lol:

Holy shit that's cheap.  I've seen NBs go for 12k on the auction sites.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Rich on May 24, 2023, 04:05:00 PMHoly shit that's cheap.  I've seen NBs go for 12k on the auction sites.

NAs are definitely classics now. NBs on the edge and gaining value. But I think NCs are still just viewed as aging used cars

Rich

Even still, in this environment it seems like if a car is clean and without rust, it's a 10k car. I've been so jaded by this market.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

AutobahnSHO

NAs are going up in price, NCs were never as desirable anyway.

I think the overall market is finally over the peak- hopefully coming back down.
Will

AutobahnSHO

It was overcast but not too hot today, I'm switching units and that involves running from office to office getting signatures and "in processing". Some young (20s) Soldier said, "Nice Miata, Sir!"  :mrcool:
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on June 15, 2023, 04:12:24 PMIt was overcast but not too hot today, I'm switching units and that involves running from office to office getting signatures and "in processing". Some young (20s) Soldier said, "Nice Miata, Sir!"  :mrcool:

Sounds like a trouble maker
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on June 15, 2023, 04:24:23 PMSounds like a trouble maker

Later I wondered if he's as old as the car. :lol:
Will

CaminoRacer

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on June 15, 2023, 05:48:21 PMLater I wondered if he's as old as the car. :lol:

It's weird that NAs can get classic plates now