NYC Police Car History

Started by J86, September 11, 2010, 09:49:22 AM

J86

rohan

Cool find.   The old timers - and there are still a few around here and there- call that combination of siren and gumball "suicide light" or "suicide siren" because at high speed the siren would lift up in front of the light so you couldn't hear the siren and you couldn't see the light.  I guess you had to really be on your toes because people didn't know you were coming at 145 mph.
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

cawimmer430

Who you gonna call? History and Heritage:rockon:

Nice police cruiser! Love those landyachts!
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Atomic

i remember reading the very same article in the new york times. it prompted a discussion with my dad, who remembers when chrysler-plymouth-dodge dominated this field. we have come a long way with modern technology, awd in cars and other factors that i think may make driving a squad car safer and perhaps even enjoyable. i bet many, especially pudgy or tall officers might actually favor those roomy cars of yesteryear - being easier to move about inside... (even) if not on the road with what i am assuming to be a greater lack of traction with rwd and some monstrous v8's of the era long gone for many. then again, we have the much smaller rwd chevy caprice coming out and a new rwd dodge charger for 2011.

Atomic

another obstacle or blessing for nyc, depending on perspective, is the current mayor's commitment to fuel efficiency, often only achieved through hybrids and rare find affordable clean diesel equipped cars (i.e., small vw's, audi a3) in nys - suited for law enforcement officers requiring more room.

L. ed foote

Member, Self Preservation Society

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

dazzleman

Quote from: cawimmer430 on December 23, 2010, 05:18:42 AM
My kind of cop cars!  :rockon:  :wub:

I can actually remember when the NYPD was using this one.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!