I don't understand the hate for the.......

Started by 2o6, September 12, 2010, 07:44:09 PM

2o6

What cars do you not understand why people dislike them?

2o6

Dodge Neon

It was a sprightly little car. Aside from the headgasket issue (resolved in 1997) it was incredibly spacious, handled very well, was quick and got good MPG's too. And it was cheap.

giant_mtb

Can you provide empirical evidence of it being spacious, handling well, being quick, and getting good MPGs compared to its competitors of the time?  'Cause otherwise I do not believe any one of those things, except for perhaps the MPG.

:ohyeah:

2o6

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 12, 2010, 07:48:08 PM
Can you provide empirical evidence of it being spacious, handling well, being quick, and getting good MPGs compared to its competitors of the time?  'Cause otherwise I do not believe any one of those things, except for perhaps the MPG.

:ohyeah:

Base SOHC Neons were rated at 132HP, at a time when the Cavalier only made 115 (and Jetta 2.0) Protege only 120, and Civic VTEC 125. DOHC Neons had no direct comparison (in terms of a compact car....) being rated at 150HP.

It was used at Skip Barber's driving car for quite some time. The Neon also had IRS (granted, not the double wishbones on all four corners like the Civic) but the Neon used MacPherson struts up front an Chapman struts in the back, which made it actually really nice to drive.

SVT666

Actually the Neon was a pretty good little car.  Build quality wasn't the greatest though.  Chrysler didn't make it easy to take the car seriously with the "Hi." ads and the fact that it was sold under three different brands using the same name.  Chrysler Neon, Dodge Neon, and Plymouth Neon. 

2o6

From what I gather, it handled reasonably well for a FWD Boat with an automatic transmission. I think it looks nice, and the interior wasn't that bad. Yeah it had some deficiencies (tight-ish back seat) but what car doesn't?

Quote from: SVT666 on September 12, 2010, 07:57:17 PM
Actually the Neon was a pretty good little car.  Build quality wasn't the greatest though.  Chrysler didn't make it easy to take the car seriously with the "Hi." ads and the fact that it was sold under three different brands using the same name.  Chrysler Neon, Dodge Neon, and Plymouth Neon. 

Well, Chrysler was only for the export market. Plymouth and Dodge didn't make any sense, they were equipped the same.

sportyaccordy

The Grand Prix, and pretty much all the W-bodies (I think that's the chassis) were pretty terrible. They handled like boats and were plagued with all kinds of problems, including that awesome plastic intake manifold. Same year Maximas were about the same in cost, but much better cars in every way.

giant_mtb

Quote from: 2o6 on September 12, 2010, 07:51:59 PM

Base SOHC Neons were rated at 132HP, at a time when the Cavalier only made 115 (and Jetta 2.0) Protege only 120, and Civic VTEC 125. DOHC Neons had no direct comparison (in terms of a compact car....) being rated at 150HP.

It was used at Skip Barber's driving car for quite some time. The Neon also had IRS (granted, not the double wishbones on all four corners like the Civic) but the Neon used MacPherson struts up front an Chapman struts in the back, which made it actually really nice to drive.

HP ratings don't really say that one car is quicker than another.  A semi-truck that has 1200-lb.ft. of torque is slower than a Neon.

2o6

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 12, 2010, 08:10:39 PM
HP ratings don't really say that one car is quicker than another.  A semi-truck that has 1200-lb.ft. of torque is slower than a Neon.

It also was 2300lbs.

2o6

Quote from: sportyaccordy on September 12, 2010, 08:10:21 PM
The Grand Prix, and pretty much all the W-bodies (I think that's the chassis) were pretty terrible. They handled like boats and were plagued with all kinds of problems, including that awesome plastic intake manifold. Same year Maximas were about the same in cost, but much better cars in every way.

True. However, that doesn't stop the W-body from being "bad" or not being able to compete.

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

2o6

Quote from: 68_427 on September 12, 2010, 08:15:48 PM
200SX was 2300lbs and had 140hp.

Bish

200SX SE-R, you mean. DOHC Neons were rated at 150HP and had more space.

MT Comparo gave it to the 200SX, but the Neon was still gained very positive reviews in terms of driving dynamics

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/112_9503_nissan_200sx_vs_dodge_neon/dodge_neon_sport.html

Xer0

The DOHC Civic Si was rated at 160hp for the couple of years that it was available.

2o6

Quote from: Xer0 on September 12, 2010, 10:00:25 PM
The DOHC Civic Si was rated at 160hp for the couple of years that it was available.

In 1999.

By that point the 1st Gen Neon was over, and the 2nd Gen (and SRT-4) was coming out.

CJ

Quote from: 2o6 on September 12, 2010, 08:14:07 PM

True. However, that doesn't stop the W-body from being "bad" or not being able to compete.

W-body vehicles are really pretty horrible to drive. 

BimmerM3

The Cavalier produced 115HP AND a Jetta 2.0? Damn, how did they fit an entire vehicle assembly plant under the hood?

Quote from: 2o6 on September 12, 2010, 10:01:37 PM

In 1999.

By that point the 1st Gen Neon was over, and the 2nd Gen (and SRT-4) was coming out.

In 2003.

See what I did there?

goldenlover1101

I have to agree with 206, I drive a 2005 Neon SXT Manual and like it. Sure, its not as nice as newer compact cars, but its enjoyable. The clutch is good, I enjoy rowing through the 5 speed, and it has decent handling (not great, but not awful). Good space on the inside, and the trunk is great. I like the styling for a compact car, mildly sporty with good proportions. I am not saying a Neon is a great car or even the best car of the time, but it was a decent cheap car that gets undue hatred. I think its much better than the craptastic caliber that replaced it.

Some other cars I like that often seem to be disliked: Dodge Magnum, Chevy Equinox, Malibu, The new Mazda 3  :mask:, the Mazda 5

"The more people I meet the more I like my dog."

Onslaught

Quote from: goldenlover1101 on September 13, 2010, 12:42:11 AM
The new Mazda 3  :mask:
The only reason people hate that car is the front bumper. Put something normal on it and people would like it.

Oh, and the build quality on the Neon was atrocious. I know it was a cheap car but still.

Payman

Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky, and especially the Solstice Coupe. I think they were the best looking cars to come out of the last decade.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: 2o6 on September 12, 2010, 08:14:07 PM

So you agree that the W-bodies were terrible? I don't understand how you don't understand how people hate them if you agree. They were not competitive in any capacity

Raza

The Neon is the kind of car I'd recommend to someone looking for a cheap beater car (or a cheap fast car, in the form of the SRT-4), but probably would never buy for myself. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

omicron

The Mitsubishi Magna. Why they were increasingly shunned by the motoring public, I shall never know. The 3.5 V6 was a fine engine, and the five-speed automatic miles ahead of anything Ford or Holden offered at the time. Plenty of room, too, and the damn things simply will not die. Used examples are fabulous buys, of course - it's simply not possible to get any more metal for the (very little) money, and most were bought initially by conservative types which means the service books are nicely stamped and kilometres low.

Frameless windows, too. :wub:

MrH

Quote from: Rockraven on September 13, 2010, 05:33:27 AM
Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky, and especially the Solstice Coupe. I think they were the best looking cars to come out of the last decade.

Sight lines were terrible, and it wasn't a tenth as practical as a Miata of similar size.  Horrible packaging job.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Laconian

BMW M Coupe. I can't seem to convince anybody of how great of a car it is. They can't get past the weird bulbous shape.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

omicron

Quote from: Laconian on September 13, 2010, 10:53:45 AM
BMW M Coupe. I can't seem to convince anybody of how great of a car it is. They can't get past the weird bulbous shape.

Society would not have progressed very far at all had we not managed to overcome our initial objections to weird bulbous shapes.

MrH

Quote from: Laconian on September 13, 2010, 10:53:45 AM

Z4 or Z3 body style?  From everything I read, the Z4 M Coupe rear suspension tuning is all fucked up.  The convertible is supposed to be much better in that aspect.
Quote from: omicron on September 13, 2010, 10:59:29 AM
Society would not have progressed very far at all had we not managed to overcome our initial objections to weird bulbous shapes.

:clap:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

cawimmer430

Why do people hate this?  :huh:

It's so beautiful!  :wub:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

the Teuton

Quote from: MrH on September 13, 2010, 11:19:21 AM
Z4 or Z3 body style?  From everything I read, the Z4 M Coupe rear suspension tuning is all fucked up.  The convertible is supposed to be much better in that aspect.

Disclaimer: I'm a Z3 whore. I love that car in all of its iterations.

That said, with the exception of a little more limited capacity and terrible rear visibility, the Z4 version is pretty cool unto itself.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

2o6

Quote from: BimmerM3 on September 12, 2010, 11:21:40 PM
The Cavalier produced 115HP AND a Jetta 2.0? Damn, how did they fit an entire vehicle assembly plant under the hood?

In 2003.

See what I did there?

You know what I meant, so your nitpicking of my post just makes you look stupid.

the Teuton

Quote from: 2o6 on September 13, 2010, 12:10:11 PM

You know what I meant, so your nitpicking of my post just makes you look stupid.

It does? And you lust for the ever-sexy Aveo hatchback?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!