Cars you're strangely attracted to...

Started by the Teuton, September 18, 2010, 01:49:28 PM

the Teuton

When I was car shopping the other day, a 1980something VW Golf 5-door was on the lot with 225k on the odometer for under $900 at the shed dealer we were at. And I was strangely fascinated with driving it, thrashing it, and potentially owning something like it some day.

I've had the same sort of feeling with a Saab 900 a few years back, and other than the thrashing to high-hell part, I'd love to do the same with a new Morgan Aero 8 and a few other cars.

What sort of quirky, odd cars do you find yourself strangely liking, and why?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

SVT666

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Raza

I can't stop myself from looking when they drive by.  I often imagine myself buying one.  I think about what it would be like to own one as daily driver.  I keep thinking about how pulling on that vertical door handle every morning on the way to work would make me smile.  But then I remember what it's like to drive.  Too isolated, too quiet, too far removed, with a hopeless clutch and ponderous gearbox.  Chop the top off and you get a sense of how the car was supposed to feel all along, but at the same time, you lose those gorgeous lines.  It's a dilemma.

The most characterful looks of any of its contemporaries.  Hopeless to drive.  I'd never buy one, but I really want to buy one. 

Same sort of deal as the 350Z.  Great looks, but this time paired with a well put together interior with a bit of flair; but it doesn't have the performance to back it up like the 350Z has.  But, it is fun to drive, in both coupe and convertible forms, despite not being the last word in communication, capability, and tactility.  It's good that it's fun as a coupe, because I don't think even I'm secure enough to drive the convertible.  It is more practical than the 350Z, which gives it an edge, and the 1.8T is a great engine, despite a few known problems.  Half of me still wishes I picked up a used one back in 2008 instead of leasing my Jetta, even though this car is basically better in every way other than looks. 

I don't think this needs to be explained.  I could post almost every Alfa ever made, and they'd all have the same story. 

That's all for now, I'll post others later.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

omicron

Quote from: Raza  on September 19, 2010, 07:29:46 AM

I can't stop myself from looking when they drive by.  I often imagine myself buying one.  I think about what it would be like to own one as daily driver.  I keep thinking about how pulling on that vertical door handle every morning on the way to work would make me smile.  But then I remember what it's like to drive.  Too isolated, too quiet, too far removed, with a hopeless clutch and ponderous gearbox.  Chop the top off and you get a sense of how the car was supposed to feel all along, but at the same time, you lose those gorgeous lines.  It's a dilemma.

A black one of those lives up the street. My God, it's a fabulous-looking car. Perhaps it needs a three-speed automatic to complete the old-school muscle car feel.

The MG ZT V8. A marvellous, marvellous British saloon with an American heartbeat (but not the heartbeat of America, mind). I think it looks fantastic, and I love the idea of a gentlemanly car with a little bit of indiscretion under the bonnet. I'd gladly have a Rover 3500S, too.

Atomic

the 2010 and 2011 lincoln mk-t. as stated elsewhere, they are not pretty, but have an allure about them. i have conflicting thoughts about the bloated looking ford taurus, as well. a nice car? yes, but i cannot image owning one. i love the new honda crosstour in certain colors (red, black, white), despite heckling from some, but its quirkiness appears to me. however, more important than the looks are things like an awesome interior, ample room, spaciousness and driving dynamics. stunning to me from every angle!

SVT666

I want one in a bad bad way.  I want one just as much as I want a 2011 Mustang GT.  What's the problem you may ask.  It weighs almost 600 lbs more than the Mustang, it corners like it's in custard, the interior has no flare at all, it's almost a full second slower to 60 mph and in the 1/4 mile, and it's frickin' huge.  But I still lust after one in a real bad way.

Rupert

Yeah, I like those, too. I think they look a lot better than either the Mustang or the Camaro.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Rupert

Mustangfan2003

I guess mine had to be old diesel Benz's. 

Rupert

Yeah, those too.

I like a lot of unpopular cars, I guess.

the Teuton

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on September 19, 2010, 12:30:48 PM
I guess mine had to be old diesel Benz's. 

I saw a mint condition early 1980s 300D the other day. It made me :wub:

Mustangfan2003

I hope to get mine in mint condition one day but it's a process. 

Onslaught

I don't know why. But as a kid I thought they looked great.

Same thing with this.

As everyone knows I'm no fan of FWD. But sometimes I do like one that comes along.

A fast and good looking car. And the Americans don't like it because it's not gaudy and ugly like the cars they like.

If I was an old fart in the 90's I'd been in one. The tail lamps looked cool.

Atomic

i loved the lincoln "mark", too (above), but what # was the latest? also, the lincoln "lettering" began around then with the "LSC" for lincoln sports coupe. the lincoln "LS" was for lincoln sedan. now the brand has gone insane  :nutty:!

i was a big fan of most renditions of the grand buick riviera's. wow! all but the most recent '80s versions were cool.

the '70s era chrysler cordoba was awesome to look at.

Atomic

no need apologizing for wanting a dodge challenger! man, they are sweet! i never mind tooling around in a buddy's 2010 srt-8. the seats offer extra support. changes are in store for 2011 (i think interior upgrades and slight cosmetic improvements), but nothing too drastic (a good thing). the v6 will have more power with improved gas mileage. the suspension may be tuned a bit, not certain just yet.

Atomic

Quote from: Atomic on September 19, 2010, 02:14:26 PM
no need apologizing for wanting a dodge challenger! man, they are sweet! i never mind tooling around in a buddy's 2010 srt-8. the seats offer extra support. changes are in store for 2011 (i think interior upgrades and slight cosmetic improvements), but nothing too drastic (a good thing). the v6 will have more power with improved gas mileage. the suspension may be tuned a bit, not certain just yet.

here is one site's update:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/dodge-challenger-2011.html

Laconian

I have a thing for the Challenger too, even in Go ManGo color paint. :\
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

68_427

The SRT-8 looks bloody awesome in yellow and purple.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

SVT666

It looks amazing but its the worst car in its class.  But I still want it just as bad as the 2011 Mustang GT.  Every time I see one I just change my mind and I'm going to get one instead of a Mustang.  Then I see a Mustang and change my mind again.

SVT666

Then I see an Infiniti G37C and I change my mind again.

Atomic

Quote from: 68_427 on September 19, 2010, 02:40:52 PM

i am a BIG fan. i like the mustang, but the lack of a factory sunroof rules it out. it is also a bit snug. the camaro looks cool, less dated than the 'stang, but the blind spots and awkward seating and driving positions do not suit me as well. i like to spread out and the roomy challenger with a full tilt-and-slide sunroof and comfy seats make it my #1 choice and thank god for just that. choice.

Atomic

Quote from: 68_427 on September 19, 2010, 02:40:52 PM

i saw a neat blue one from a distances, but i could have mistaken it for an r/t, as i am not certain the medium-dark blue is available on the srt-8. do any of you know? the color looks stellar on the 300c and 300c srt-8 for 2010, btw!

Laconian

I like everything but the visibility in the Camaro. It is garbage.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Atomic

the charger srt-8 is available in a gorgeous blue, but it was the deep water blue (even nicer, i think) that i saw on the road the other day; therefore, the car must have been a challenger r/t. the brighter blue, i think called blue pearl is offered on both r/t and srt-8 models and perhaps other versions of the sexy challenger. btw, the dodge website is not bad, just look a quick peek.