ZOMG New Subaru engine debuts!

Started by the Teuton, September 23, 2010, 11:11:25 AM

the Teuton

Subaru debuts third-generation boxer four-cylinder engine

Boxer lovers, the next chapter in your love affair has just begun. Fuji Heavy Industries, parent company of Subaru, has introduced the latest, third-generation boxer engine that will relieve the second-gen after 21 years of service. This is a brand new lump, not a rework, and FHI has built a factory just to produce it.

The bore and stroke have been increased, and it will be available with four cylinders in 2.0- and 2.5-liter displacements. The intake ports have been redesigned, lighter pistons and connecting rods offer reduced internal friction, and separate cooling circuitry for the block and the head are some of the changes that have resulted in a lower emissions and a ten percent increase in fuel efficiency. No power figures are being quoted yet, so we'll have to see how it measures up when it finds its way into production engine bays.

This new boxer will be Subaru's primary engine, and will first be seen in the Forester. Follow the jump for the press release, and you can have a closer look at it the high-res image below.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/23/subaru-debuts-third-generation-boxer-four-cylinder-engine/

First it was the EA engines that ran from the 1960s until the early 1990s with the slaying of the Loyale. Then, it was the EJs that ran from 1989 in the Legacy until its current iterations in the newest Subarus. Now, it's whatever this is.

While we don't get the boxer diesel (EE engine), it's still fairly closely related to the EJ series. I assume it'll continue.

But seeing a need for increased power and efficiency, I wouldn't be surprised if the new boxer 2.5 surpasses 200 hp. This ought to be exciting! :rockon:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Subaru_engines#Subaru_EE_engine_.28diesel.29
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

RomanChariot

Quote from: the Teuton on September 23, 2010, 11:11:25 AM

The bore and stroke have been increased, and it will be available with four cylinders in 2.0- and 2.5-liter displacements.

How can they increase the bore and stroke and have the same displacement as their current engines?

the Teuton

Quote from: RomanChariot on September 23, 2010, 11:18:36 AM
How can they increase the bore and stroke and have the same displacement as their current engines?

Good question. Subaru has generally relied on boring the same basic block for most of its displacement variations.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

ifcar

I don't think your headline is big enough to highlight how important this is to the automotive world.

the Teuton

Quote from: ifcar on September 23, 2010, 11:29:56 AM
I don't think your headline is big enough to highlight how important this is to the automotive world.

I can make it bigger.

Galaxy

10% increase in fuel efficiency doesn't sound that impressive for a whole new powerplant, unless they seriously up the power.

CALL_911

Okay, now can they get some new transmissions? Shit, their transmissions suck.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

the Teuton

Quote from: CALL_911 on September 23, 2010, 01:18:24 PM
Okay, now can they get some new transmissions? Shit, their transmissions suck.

What you're trying to say is that the 5-speed in the WRX should die. I agree.

CALL_911

Quote from: the Teuton on September 23, 2010, 01:27:15 PM
What you're trying to say is that the 5-speed in the WRX should die. I agree.

That and the 4EAT. For the love of god, I have one of those in my car, which is 18 years old.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

omicron

'For the Japanese Domestic Market, the new DOHC engine will displace 1995cc in an undersquare configuration of 84x90mm bore and stroke. Peak power is 109kW/146hp and maximum torque is 196Nm/145lb-ft.'

http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2010/subaru/forester/subarus-new-boxer-21782

Er....

r0tor

Umm the 2011 forester has the new engine and it still makes the same power as the old one
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

sportyaccordy

Quote from: omicron on September 24, 2010, 12:28:46 AM
'For the Japanese Domestic Market, the new DOHC engine will displace 1995cc in an undersquare configuration of 84x90mm bore and stroke. Peak power is 109kW/146hp and maximum torque is 196Nm/145lb-ft.'

http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2010/subaru/forester/subarus-new-boxer-21782Er....

That blows

Double whammy if they're still playing with that 4EAT

Triple death combo w/Subaru Symmetric AWD

IDK bros... doesn't make sense to me to be different w/o a quantifiable advantage over the competition

the Teuton

I'm not exactly what Subaru accomplished with this redesign other than efficiency and likely making the engine more robust with a timing chain.

ifcar

Quote from: the Teuton on September 25, 2010, 01:04:18 AM
I'm not exactly what Subaru accomplished with this redesign other than efficiency and likely making the engine more robust with a timing chain.

Cars.com reported NVH improvements, which it needed. It's also a starting point for more improvements over the years -- the outgoing engine wasn't as powerful or fuel-efficient now as when it debuted, and I imagine they'd be able to upgrade the new one over the years to come.