2011 Mercedes-Benz S250 CDI: official details, photos specs and price

Started by cawimmer430, September 24, 2010, 02:13:51 AM

Mustangfan2003

I'd totally take this car though, has about 100 more hp than my current MB.  

2o6

Quote from: CALL_911 on September 24, 2010, 10:07:51 PM
So you're taking the "emotional" argument. Fine, if you lust after a Prius, that's cool. But don't ever argue that it's cost effective. Hell, I wouldn't even go so far as to say that it has any real benefit over any car it could be remotely compared with.

It can be cost effective depending on how you do your math and what you like about that car in particular.

Comparing a Corolla to a Prius may not be the most cost effective, but compare it to a Camry or RAV4 and may work for your circumstances.

2o6

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on September 24, 2010, 09:51:58 PM
I get a kick out of americans that piss and moan about this car(i've seen it alot in the last week).

It's simple, try to follow along.

Look at a S class, stunning isn't it.

Sit in a S class, top of the range. Go ahead check out the craftsmanship, pure luxury all around.

Switch the electronics on, play with the stereo the infotainment center. Check out the sound of a high end(stock) system. Feel the luxury surrounding you.

None of what is listed above has ANYTHING to do with the motor. High levels of power is one aspect of luxury, one out of atleast a dozen. This is luxury, it just happens to offer a low cost of entry and opperation for those that still want the best but can "settle" for average acceleration. Average acceleration, with exceptional fuel economy and it still has the ability to propel you down the autobahn at 100+ MPH in the lap of luxury.

+1.

Luxury does not always mean super excess. Otherwise, only one variant would exist, the V12 AMG.

CALL_911

Quote from: 2o6 on September 24, 2010, 10:11:11 PM
It can be cost effective depending on how you do your math and what you like about that car in particular.

Comparing a Corolla to a Prius may not be the most cost effective, but compare it to a Camry or RAV4 and may work for your circumstances.

But they're incomparable.

I mean, you could also say how great a value the 335i is compared to a 750Li.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

2o6

Quote from: CALL_911 on September 24, 2010, 10:20:15 PM
But they're incomparable.

I mean, you could also say how great a value the 335i is compared to a 750Li.

To the average consumer, no they're not. (Also, the Prius is technically a midsize).

The Sportage is a class above the Soul, but that didn't stop that couple from liking the Soul and considering it as well.

Atomic

I get a kick out of americans that piss and moan about this car(i've seen it alot in the last week).

Sit in a S class, top of the range. Go ahead check out the craftsmanship, pure luxury all around.

Switch the electronics on, play with the stereo the infotainment center. Check out the sound of a high end(stock) system. Feel the luxury surrounding you.

None of what is listed above has ANYTHING to do with the motor. High levels of power is one aspect of luxury, one out of atleast a dozen. This is luxury, it just happens to offer a low cost of entry and opperation for those that still want the best but can "settle" for average acceleration. Average acceleration, with exceptional fuel economy and it still has the ability to propel you down the autobahn at 100+ MPH in the lap of luxury.

:hesaid:  :clap:

Submariner

I would love to see that engine in a C-class...if it can pull off 0-60 in 8.2 and still get 41 MPG in an S, it would be a hoot in a C. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

the Teuton

Luxury is never having to say "I don't have enough."

Is this a luxury car or a full-size sedan?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

CALL_911

Quote from: 2o6 on September 24, 2010, 10:21:50 PM
To the average consumer, no they're not. (Also, the Prius is technically a midsize).

The Sportage is a class above the Soul, but that didn't stop that couple from liking the Soul and considering it as well.

Right, because the average consumer can't tell that the Prius is closer in size to a Corolla than a Camry.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Autobahn

Quote from: Submariner on September 25, 2010, 12:38:48 AM
I would love to see that engine in a C-class...if it can pull off 0-60 in 8.2 and still get 41 MPG in an S, it would be a hoot in a C. 

Yes, the C 250 CDI BlueEfficiency is indeed a very nice car - the E250 CDI BE is nice too, especially in Wagon form...

Autobahn

Quote from: the Teuton on September 25, 2010, 12:45:46 AM
Luxury is never having to say "I don't have enough."

Is this a luxury car or a full-size sedan?

?? It's a luxury car. It's a leage above the typical full-size sedans in refinement, quality and craftmannship...

sportyaccordy

Quote from: 2o6 on September 24, 2010, 10:11:11 PM

It's never cost effective. Equally equipped, it always costs more than the much larger Camry, and significantly (~30%) more than the Corolla. Within models that have hybrid variants, the cost of the hybrid powertrain usually adds about 5-6K when all other things are the same.... too big a differential to justify any kind of cost savings. I broke that down already.

The carbon footprint of hybrids compared to their conventional equivalents is either comparable or worse as well. So the environmental aspect is moot too.

The only justifications for buying a new hybrid are either emotional, or to do an unusually high amount of exclusively urban driving (like a NYC cab driver). Spending $6,000 extra dollars to save $400 a year makes no sense.

sportyaccordy

A 72K Euro car is not "cheap", especially when you start factoring in used cars

And fuel costs, while oppressively expensive in Germany, are still a small piece of the ownership cost pie. All other costs are probably the same.

Again, if they offered this car in the US, nobody would buy it, even w/all this green shit going on. So this car is a response to Euro tax schemes, not rich people clamoring for a 5,000 lb, 200HP 4 banger car.

TBR

I have no problem with this car being available. Why would I? Options are good. I personally would never spend that much money on a car that's significantly slower than my '95 Honda, but that's just me. What I do have a problem with is wimmer getting on his high horse and complaining about how much energy we consume when it's clear that when faced with the choice between having excessive power or conserving energy his family has chosen excessive power, illustrating the thesis that those European families who can afford to get around the draconian fuel choices do so.

Atomic

i think we will see luxury fleets, such as california livery services catering to the rich, celebrity client?le (red carpet events) and businessmen and women gobbling this cars up. my only question: how's trunk room? that seems to be the downfall of the lexus ls hybrid. also, i read in (i think) british "car" magazine that all s-class vehicles are going to be hybrids soon.

MX793

I would like everyone to take a moment to look back, way back, in the automotive timeline to the the archtypes of the "luxury car".  Cars like the Benz 770 or 540K.  Like the Rolls Phantom and Wraith.  The Duesenberg Model J.  All of them set apart from more plebeian cars not just by their fine craftsmanship and luxurious appointments, but by their big powerful engines.

Luxury is excess.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Galaxy

Quote from: MX793 on September 25, 2010, 08:04:58 AM
I would like everyone to take a moment to look back, way back, in the automotive timeline to the the archtypes of the "luxury car".  Cars like the Benz 770 or 540K.  Like the Rolls Phantom and Wraith.  The Duesenberg Model J.  All of them set apart from more plebeian cars not just by their fine craftsmanship and luxurious appointments, but by their big powerful engines.

Luxury is excess.

But we are living in an age where people equip large multi-million $ mansions with heat pumps, solar panels, and cool them with spring water. And this is not because the owners want to reduce their utility bill. Some people want the space, luxury, etc, but try to limit their carbon footprint. Well somewhat. They are not going to downgrade to a small house or a Smart car.  ;)

Atomic

Luxury is excess.

isn't bentley showing off a hybrid version of the gt coupe in paris or at another auto show coming to a country near you? seriously speaking, one is in the works and is/was displayed.

Atomic

MX793

Quote from: Galaxy on September 25, 2010, 08:15:26 AM
But we are living in an age where people equip large multi-million $ mansions with heat pumps, solar panels, and cool them with spring water. And this is not because the owners want to reduce their utility bill. Some people want the space, luxury, etc, but try to limit their carbon footprint. Well somewhat. They are not going to downgrade to a small house or a Smart car.  ;)

I see nothing wrong with Mercedes attempting to make the car more fuel efficient, provided they maintain the luxurious power levels befitting a car of this class.  But to downgrade the engine in size and power to something you might find in any more plebeian transportation device is not befitting a real luxury car.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Atomic

Quote from: MX793 on September 25, 2010, 09:11:05 AM
I see nothing wrong with Mercedes attempting to make the car more fuel efficient, provided they maintain the luxurious power levels befitting a car of this class.  But to downgrade the engine in size and power to something you might find in any more plebeian transportation device is not befitting a real luxury car.

nice to have choice. from hybrid, to v8 power, to v12... awd/4wd, coupe (cl) and sedan (s)... and those great amg versions. take your pick. pull out the wallet; all costly.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Galaxy on September 25, 2010, 08:15:26 AM
But we are living in an age where people equip large multi-million $ mansions with heat pumps, solar panels, and cool them with spring water. And this is not because the owners want to reduce their utility bill. Some people want the space, luxury, etc, but try to limit their carbon footprint. Well somewhat. They are not going to downgrade to a small house or a Smart car.  ;)
Those efforts are equally goofy. If you want to reduce your carbon footprint, you don't do so by living in a 10,000 sq ft house, or by driving a 5,000 lb car, no matter what energy saving technologies are applied. Plus for w/e reason ppl who justify new purchases w/carbon reduction never add in the fact that by buying a new car over a used one they have irreversibly + needlessly increased their carbon footprint. Ordering Toyota to build a new Prius instead of buying an old Corolla is not green.  You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Submariner

I would like everyone to take a moment to look back, way back, in the automotive timeline to the the archtypes of the "luxury car".  Cars like the Benz 770 or 540K.  Like the Rolls Phantom and Wraith.  The Duesenberg Model J.  All of them set apart from more plebeian cars not just by their fine craftsmanship and luxurious appointments, but by their big powerful engines.

Luxury is excess.

And you can still get 600 HP V12's...

But today's luxury is different or is at the very least, heading down a different path.  Luxury is still luxury, but rapped in an eco-friendly banner.  Even if said "green" options do little to nothing to actually save the planet, it certainly eases the feeble minded, gullible owner and everyone else around them, too hip to notice that green costs a great deal of green, and offers little to no real benefit.

Sporty is spot on when calling into question the Prius's merits.  Richard Hammond, too, made great points when comparing it to the Polo BlueMotion he drove against Jeremy's (fabulous) XJ diesel and James's Outback estate.  In essence, he pointed out that his Polo not only achieved markedly better highway fuel economy, it did so without the Prius's ugly shape, toxic batteries, and smug elitism, oh, and it cost thousands less to boot. Now, I'm not sure how the Polo compares to the Prius size wise, and yes, I'm guessing the Prius has more punch, but I'd be willing to bet that if VW wanted, they could make a direct competitor to the Prius without any of the hybrid fuss. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

cawimmer430

Quote from: TBR on September 24, 2010, 05:15:17 PM
So how about that 5.0l petrol SL and 3.2l petrol E-class your family has? Seems wasteful to me.

The point is that WE HAVE A CHOICE OF ENGINES TO SELECT FROM. People are free to buy what they want, they just need to make sure they can afford to pay for gas etc. And if you're going for a luxury car here you definitely are financially well-off enough to pay the costs. It's not an issue.

Europeans have a choice. If they don't give a damn about cars and just need something to get them from A to B they go for something slow and economical. Seems to me that Americans don't have that choice and they don't seem to want it. Someone who lives in the city, doesn't care about cars but needs them to get to work can only buy a Camry 4-cylinder, V6 or Hybrid (of which probably the hybrid is the most economical overall). Go take a look at the plentiful engine choices Europeans have on Passat's, C5's, Laguna's, Avensis' etc. in comparison.

Oh, and our E320 is pretty economical. Drive it normally and it averages 8.2 L / 100 km (My mom even got 7.0 L / 100 km once). My dad wanted an E320 because he felt the extra power could come in handy when overtaking (over the E240). The 500SL is purely a summer vehicle and hardly gets driven anyway. Half the time it's not even registered (and thus no taxes have to be paid for it). Sure, it's thirsty as hell and that is to be expected from a 2-ton+ car with a 326-hp V8. We can afford to pay for its running costs. It's not an issue.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

cawimmer430

Exactly. Well said. :ohyeah:

Also, just because someone buys an S-Class doesn't mean they don't care about getting good gas mileage. Most people buy an S-Class for comfort, refinement, luxury, prestige, safety etc. Raw performance isn't really an issue to most buyers (unless they go for an AMG). This isn't a car you take on the track or on backroads for silly little handling/skidpad tests. The performance of this S250 CDI, in terms of 0-60, is rather impressive considering the weight of the car. It can do over 240 km/h and gets 5.7 L / 100 km, which is damn good for such a heavy car. So what's not to like about this car?

Again, Europeans have CHOICES. They can get an S250 CDI, S350 CDI, S450 CDI, S400 Hybrid, S350, S450, S500, S600, S63 AMG and S65 AMG. CHOICES. Plenty of engine options for different people with different tastes etc. Someone who cares about fuel economy in their S-Class won't look at an AMG or S500 etc.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: sportyaccordy on September 24, 2010, 02:55:14 PM
Again, you guys are no better than us inherently; you're forced to be energy conscious because you can't afford not to be. You rationalize it by saying you're green or w/e, but the reality is you just don't have the choice.

Hold on a second. What's so bad about being energy conscious? America surely hasn't shown signs of wanting to improve their energy usage. Not signing the Kyoto Agreement, producing oversized gas-guzzling SUVs (eh, for what?). If you're going to tow houses or boats then it makes more sense to get a diesel engine option. Oh yeah, they're not available because people don't want to hear engine clatter or preheat the motor and would rather fill up more often etc.  :facepalm:  :devil:

Quote from: sportyaccordy on September 24, 2010, 02:55:14 PMAmerica is just different due to its lower density and different infrastructure. Even if we drove 1.0 diesel Polos, we'd still use more gas because we tend to live farther from work than Europeans do. I agree that we eat too much, but we're taller. We have bigger houses, because we don't have the same space constraints. It's a totally different culture that's based on, ideally anyway, freedom and minimal gov't intervention.

A 1.0 Polo is more efficient than anything sold in the US at the moment except maybe a Prius III. Driving from home to work and back with a 1.0 Polo should be more economical than doing the same route with a Camry 4-cylinder for example.

Isn't Obama trying to introduce European-style car taxes in the US?

Quote from: sportyaccordy on September 24, 2010, 02:55:14 PMAgain, like I've always said... you guys don't have a choice in the matter. If you did, MB would see no point in making 4 banger S Classes, because nobody would have to buy them.

We have a choice. People here are free to buy whatever they want. That's freedom. That's a choice. They just need to make sure they can afford to pay the costs. It's no different in America where you have to make sure you can pay the running costs of your car. The only difference is that here we have some extra car taxes that vary from car to car and engine to engine. It adds an extra cost to car ownership but it doesn't make any car "unaffordable" to potential buyers.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: sportyaccordy on September 25, 2010, 07:17:52 AMAnd fuel costs, while oppressively expensive in Germany.

They're actually cheap compared to The Netherlands, France, The UK etc. Fuel costs are expensive, but they're not "oppressively" expensive as you make it sound. Nevertheless the high prices create a demand for efficient engines and also have shaped people in being more energy conscious here.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

sportyaccordy

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 25, 2010, 03:41:01 PM
The point is that WE HAVE A CHOICE OF ENGINES TO SELECT FROM. People are free to buy what they want, they just need to make sure they can afford to pay for gas etc. And if you're going for a luxury car here you definitely are financially well-off enough to pay the costs. It's not an issue.

Europeans have a choice. If they don't give a damn about cars and just need something to get them from A to B they go for something slow and economical. Seems to me that Americans don't have that choice and they don't seem to want it. Someone who lives in the city, doesn't care about cars but needs them to get to work can only buy a Camry 4-cylinder, V6 or Hybrid (of which probably the hybrid is the most economical overall). Go take a look at the plentiful engine choices Europeans have on Passat's, C5's, Laguna's, Avensis' etc. in comparison.

Oh, and our E320 is pretty economical. Drive it normally and it averages 8.2 L / 100 km (My mom even got 7.0 L / 100 km once). My dad wanted an E320 because he felt the extra power could come in handy when overtaking (over the E240). The 500SL is purely a summer vehicle and hardly gets driven anyway. Half the time it's not even registered (and thus no taxes have to be paid for it). Sure, it's thirsty as hell and that is to be expected from a 2-ton+ car with a 326-hp V8. We can afford to pay for its running costs. It's not an issue.

Yea but even w/gas being $8/gallon your family chose basically the same cars we would in the US. Not even diesels. You don't think that's a little ironic? :wtf:

cawimmer430

Quote from: sportyaccordy on September 25, 2010, 04:00:14 PM
Yea but even w/gas being $8/gallon your family chose basically the same cars we would in the US. Not even diesels. You don't think that's a little ironic? :wtf:

The 500SL is an "indulgence". It was my father's dream car back in the early 1990s and when one of his best friends was selling his, he bought it. Sure it's a gas-guzzler but it doesn't even average 2,000 km driving distance per year since it has a Saisonkennzeichen (seasonal license plate) which in our case means it can be driven from April to October. My dad only uses it to drive from M?hldorf to Munich and visit me or drive to his favorite pub (which is about 15 km from our home in M?hldorf). The fuel costs are therefore rather "low" given how little we drive it. Drive the 500SL normally and you can get around 13.5 L / 100 km, which isn't bad for such a 2-ton+ behemoth.

The final choice was between the E270 CDI and E320. We went with the E320 because we don't drive a lot and that would have made the E270 CDI not cost-effective to own because of the diesel tax. E-Class diesels only make sense when you drive over 10,000-15,000 km a year. We're happy with the E320. It's been very economical, reliable etc. But my dad is considering a DIESEL as a next car - if ever. He's considering a diesel, even if he won't do over 10,000 km+ a year - just because of the great gas mileage. For my dad, the less gas station stops, the better...  :tounge:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

68_427

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 24, 2010, 02:25:47 AM
That's a direct conversion of the price in Euros. If this car reaches the US it will be much cheaper.

And there are tons of people who care about fuel economy in this class and this car makes perfect sense for them. When you're buying a Mercedes you're also paying for the name, safety etc.

Not in the USA, frankly.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no