2011 Mercedes-Benz S250 CDI: official details, photos specs and price

Started by cawimmer430, September 24, 2010, 02:13:51 AM

cawimmer430

2011 Mercedes-Benz S250 CDI: official details, photos specs and price

Mercedes-Benz revealed today the S250 CDI BlueEfficiency, and announced that this is the first 5 litres/100 km car in the luxury segment. Powered by a 2.2-liter four-cylinder CDI engine, the new car delivers an impressive 5.7 liters/100 km (41 mpg) as well as 149g of CO2 emissions. The small four-cylinder diesel engine  mated to a 7G-Tronic Plus 7-speed automatic transmission, delivers 204 hp (150 kW) and a maximum torque of 500 Nm. Still, the vehicle can accelerate to 100 km/h (62 mph) in just 8.2 seconds and has a top speed of 240 km/h (150 mph). These performances are a result of two-stage turbocharging, which consists of a small high-pressure (HP) turbocharger and a large low-pressure (LP) turbocharger.

These two are connected in series, and each has a turbine and a compressor driven by this turbine. The HP turbine is located directly at the exhaust manifold and allows the exhaust gas to low through it and then rotates at up to 215,000 revolutions per minute. The HP turbine housing features an integral bypass duct, which can be opened or closed by means of a charge-pressure control flap triggered by a vacuum cell.

"The two compressors are likewise connected in series, and are in addition connected to a bypass duct. The combustion air from the air filter first flows through the low-pressure compressor, where it is compressed as a function of the LP turbine's output. This pre-compressed air then passes into the high-pressure compressor, which is coupled to the HP turbine, where it undergoes further compression. The result is a genuine two-stage turbocharging process." said Mercedes-Benz in the press release.

The advantage of this technology is that it delivers high torque at low engine speeds, while fuel consumption is reduced. Pricing starts at ?71,876 ($95,942).

Link: http://www.4wheelsnews.com/2011-mercedes-benz-s250-cdi-official-details-photos-specs-and-price
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

CALL_911

$95,942 for something with a fucking 204 hp 2.2L diesel. At that price, I doubt I'd give a shit about fuel economy. This thing is stupid.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

cawimmer430

Quote from: CALL_911 on September 24, 2010, 02:18:11 AM
$95,942 for something with a fucking 204 hp 2.2L diesel. At that price, I doubt I'd give a shit about fuel economy. This thing is stupid.

That's a direct conversion of the price in Euros. If this car reaches the US it will be much cheaper.

And there are tons of people who care about fuel economy in this class and this car makes perfect sense for them. When you're buying a Mercedes you're also paying for the name, safety etc.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

CALL_911

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 24, 2010, 02:25:47 AM
That's a direct conversion of the price in Euros. If this car reaches the US it will be much cheaper.

And there are tons of people who care about fuel economy in this class and this car makes perfect sense for them. When you're buying a Mercedes you're also paying for the name, safety etc.

I'm not getting into that shit again.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

cawimmer430

Quote from: CALL_911 on September 24, 2010, 02:26:48 AM
I'm not getting into that shit again.

That shit is the truth.

Besides, this car will most likely only be sold in Europe. Things are pricey in Europe. People are used to paying a lot of money for things here and fuel economy is important here. MB wouldn't build this car if there wasn't a market for it out there. Period.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Autobahn

To understand this car you must understand the German / European fleet market to which this car is obviously directed.
The lower powered S-Classes to a lot of 5 star German hotels is what the Lincoln Town Car is to the equivalent hotels in the US. Nobody cares if you are picked up by a 200 hp car or a 400 hp car from the airport. All that matters is luxury which the S250 CDI will undoubtedly provide.

It will also appear in the higher-end Taxi / Airport Shuttle service where it is a perfect match of luxury and fuel efficiency. Lufthansa / Swiss etc. all have, for example, cars that chauffeur their very frequent flyers between different airport terminals etc. 200 hp are more enough to do that.

Regarding this segment of the market the S 250 CDI is just the ideal choice and in my opinion a very clever choice. Its also an easy to do marketing trick to provide the "most efficient car in the segment"...
Clever move in my opinion  :clap:

sportyaccordy

72K Euro is a lot to pay for a damn cab

The engine's a big part, but not that big. W/e, Europeans can keep struggling w/their needlessly high tax burdens + associated rationalizations

Mustangfan2003

2o6

I think you guys are misunderstanding this entirely.

I could see this being very popular with fleets who need a nice luxurious car. Similar to how we use the Lincoln Town Car and Cadillac DTS to move people of importance (or whoever wants a nice car to ride around in) but the small motor would make it cheap to buy and run.

2o6

Quote from: Autobahn on September 24, 2010, 04:38:41 AM
To understand this car you must understand the German / European fleet market to which this car is obviously directed.
The lower powered S-Classes to a lot of 5 star German hotels is what the Lincoln Town Car is to the equivalent hotels in the US. Nobody cares if you are picked up by a 200 hp car or a 400 hp car from the airport. All that matters is luxury which the S250 CDI will undoubtedly provide.

It will also appear in the higher-end Taxi / Airport Shuttle service where it is a perfect match of luxury and fuel efficiency. Lufthansa / Swiss etc. all have, for example, cars that chauffeur their very frequent flyers between different airport terminals etc. 200 hp are more enough to do that.

Regarding this segment of the market the S 250 CDI is just the ideal choice and in my opinion a very clever choice. Its also an easy to do marketing trick to provide the "most efficient car in the segment"...
Clever move in my opinion  :clap:

I didn't even read your post.

Says exactly what I was going for.
Quote from: sportyaccordy on September 24, 2010, 06:39:51 AM
72K Euro is a lot to pay for a damn cab

The engine's a big part, but not that big. W/e, Europeans can keep struggling w/their needlessly high tax burdens + associated rationalizations

Lincoln Town Car is 47K USD.

A Ford Mondeo (2.0T, Titanium S) is 31K (Euro)

A Ford Fusion (2.3 SE) is 22K USD.

It's not that big of a proportional difference.....

sportyaccordy

Quote from: 2o6 on September 24, 2010, 01:56:42 PM
I think you guys are misunderstanding this entirely.

I could see this being very popular with fleets who need a nice luxurious car. Similar to how we use the Lincoln Town Car and Cadillac DTS to move people of importance (or whoever wants a nice car to ride around in) but the small motor would make it cheap to buy and run.
72K Euros is in no way cheap, even outside the conversion to $$$s. Interestingly enough, this car costs more than the SWB S320 CDI, as pointed out here....

http://www.lincah.com/2009-mercedes-benz-s320-cdi-blueefficiency

This car wouldn't exist if there were no 200% tax on gas in certain European countries, as evidenced by the usage of Crown Vics and Town Cars as the default livery choice everywhere in the US- even super urban NYC.

2o6

Quote from: sportyaccordy on September 24, 2010, 02:15:06 PM
72K Euros is in no way cheap, even outside the conversion to $$$s

This car wouldn't exist if there were no 200% tax on gas in certain European countries, as evidenced by the usage of Crown Vics and Town Cars as the default livery choice everywhere in the US- even super urban NYC.

The Livery Chrysler 300 used the very small 2.7L.

72K is not cheap, but neither is a Town Car. And not only that, the Town Car is a far worse car.

cawimmer430

Quote from: sportyaccordy on September 24, 2010, 06:39:51 AM

Those high taxes keep us realistic. Look at America and how WASTEFUL your country is with energy. Not just gasoline.  :facepalm:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

2o6

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 24, 2010, 02:24:08 PM
Those high taxes keep us realistic. Look at America and how WASTEFUL your country is with energy. Not just gasoline.  :facepalm:

You're opening up a can of worms......

Galaxy

Quote from: Autobahn on September 24, 2010, 04:38:41 AM

Lufthansa also uses Porsche Cayennes as their transport vehicle. Non diesel I might add.  :lol:

sportyaccordy

Those high taxes keep us realistic. Look at America and how WASTEFUL your country is with energy. Not just gasoline.  :facepalm:
Again, you guys are no better than us inherently; you're forced to be energy conscious because you can't afford not to be. You rationalize it by saying you're green or w/e, but the reality is you just don't have the choice.

America is just different due to its lower density and different infrastructure. Even if we drove 1.0 diesel Polos, we'd still use more gas because we tend to live farther from work than Europeans do. I agree that we eat too much, but we're taller. We have bigger houses, because we don't have the same space constraints. It's a totally different culture that's based on, ideally anyway, freedom and minimal gov't intervention.

Again, like I've always said... you guys don't have a choice in the matter. If you did, MB would see no point in making 4 banger S Classes, because nobody would have to buy them.

Galaxy

Quote from: sportyaccordy on September 24, 2010, 02:55:14 PM
Again, like I've always said... you guys don't have a choice in the matter. If you did, MB would see no point in making 4 banger S Classes, because nobody would have to buy them.

What about the Prius, and many Americans? There is no need to buy one, one can get a better car for less money. Some people just want to save fuel, regardless of what the thing costs.

TBR

Quote from: Galaxy on September 24, 2010, 03:36:33 PM
What about the Prius, and many Americans? There is no need to buy one, one can get a better car for less money. Some people just want to save fuel, regardless of what the thing costs.

No. People who buy Priuses just want to be seen saving fuel. The Prius absolutely fails any environmental or economic analyses.

TBR

So how about that 5.0l petrol SL and 3.2l petrol E-class your family has? Seems wasteful to me.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Galaxy on September 24, 2010, 03:36:33 PM
If it's about saving fuel, meh. Alright.

But it doesn't tend to stop there. Prius owners tend to buy into the whole carbon footprint reduction deal. But a Prius, w/its solar panel roof + batteries are much worse for the environment than say, a used Corolla. Cost savings aren't there either.

Again- this car is entirely a result of excessive behavioral gas taxes

2o6

Quote from: sportyaccordy on September 24, 2010, 08:15:42 PM
If it's about saving fuel, meh. Alright.

But it doesn't tend to stop there. Prius owners tend to buy into the whole carbon footprint reduction deal. But a Prius, w/its solar panel roof + batteries are much worse for the environment than say, a used Corolla. Cost savings aren't there either.

Again- this car is entirely a result of excessive behavioral gas taxes

That's a hilarious stereotype that can't possibly satisfy the 500,000 Prius owners.

CALL_911

Quote from: 2o6 on September 24, 2010, 08:16:55 PM

That's a hilarious stereotype that can't possibly satisfy the 500,000 Prius owners.

Care to give us a better explanation?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

2o6

Quote from: CALL_911 on September 24, 2010, 08:22:10 PM
Care to give us a better explanation?

I'm pretty sure that everyone who bought one of Toyota's Priuses (which numbers into the 500,000) is not a self-important douche.

Many of people bought them to save on fuel costs.

Atomic

i like it, after all, it is an s-class - one with a conscious. count me in. you can only drive so fast here ion the u.s. they are great riding cars. my uncle's s600 is a gas hog, perhaps less of a bargain when you think about it. yet, they look equally as nice standing still and in your driveway.

CALL_911

Quote from: 2o6 on September 24, 2010, 08:51:49 PM
I'm pretty sure that everyone who bought one of Toyota's Priuses (which numbers into the 500,000) is not a self-important douche.

Many of people bought them to save on fuel costs.

Except for the fact that they'd be sinking that money into the initial purchase cost, thus negating any cost savings you'd have over an equivalent Corolla.

Unless someone handed you a Prius and you wanted to still save costs. Then you'd just be a boring, weird fuck.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Atomic

Quote from: CALL_911 on September 24, 2010, 09:44:48 PM
Except for the fact that they'd be sinking that money into the initial purchase cost, thus negating any cost savings you'd have over an equivalent Corolla.

Unless someone handed you a Prius and you wanted to still save costs. Then you'd just be a boring, weird fuck.

i think driving a hyrid makes a cool statement, but won't go into a environmental rant  :lol:.

FlatBlackCaddy

I get a kick out of americans that piss and moan about this car(i've seen it alot in the last week).

It's simple, try to follow along.

Look at a S class, stunning isn't it.

Sit in a S class, top of the range. Go ahead check out the craftsmanship, pure luxury all around.

Switch the electronics on, play with the stereo the infotainment center. Check out the sound of a high end(stock) system. Feel the luxury surrounding you.

None of what is listed above has ANYTHING to do with the motor. High levels of power is one aspect of luxury, one out of atleast a dozen. This is luxury, it just happens to offer a low cost of entry and opperation for those that still want the best but can "settle" for average acceleration. Average acceleration, with exceptional fuel economy and it still has the ability to propel you down the autobahn at 100+ MPH in the lap of luxury.

2o6

Quote from: CALL_911 on September 24, 2010, 09:44:48 PM

If you do the math like this for any car, you will find that buying the most value oriented, base model with the best fuel economy will always cost you cheaper.

I mean, the Accord and Camry are the same price (roughly). But if you do the math, the Accord will likely be the more cost-effective proposition, being larger and just as good on gas. So if everyone went by this logic, there would only be a handful of choices, all optimized to offer the most space, economy and features at one particular price point.

But we don't do that. No one does math this way when they're looking for a car.

Another anecdotal example. I was at the Kia Dealer, and a couple was looking at a Kia Soul AND a Sportage. They were (IIRC) looking to cut down on fuel costs. Both the Soul and Sportage offer similar interior space, but the Sportage is some $5000 more expensive. However, (although the wife liked the Soul better) they as a couple were going for the Sportage, despite being a more costly car to buy.

CALL_911

Quote from: 2o6 on September 24, 2010, 10:04:24 PM

If you do the math like this for any car, you will find that buying the most value oriented, base model with the best fuel economy will always cost you cheaper.

I mean, the Accord and Camry are the same price (roughly). But if you do the math, the Accord will likely be the more cost-effective proposition, being larger and just as good on gas. So if everyone went by this logic, there would only be a handful of choices, all optimized to offer the most space, economy and features at one particular price point.

But we don't do that. No one does math this way when they're looking for a car.

So you're taking the "emotional" argument. Fine, if you lust after a Prius, that's cool. But don't ever argue that it's cost effective. Hell, I wouldn't even go so far as to say that it has any real benefit over any car it could be remotely compared with.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi