***Pics from Grattan***

Started by 280Z Turbo, September 06, 2005, 07:11:34 PM

280Z Turbo

I came in last place in SM2 (skinny all season tires + inexperience + least hp) but I still had fun. I only skid once. I was coming around a tight curve and the car just plowed forward.

The copper 280Z 2+2 is mine, the white/blue BRE 240Z is my friend's car. The red Z31 300ZX is also from our club and he was in my class along with the BRE 240Z. Sounds like he was having traction issues (he runs 12s with that ZX!). The red Z32 300ZXTT was also from our club and he was first in his class, because he was the only one!

Screw other cosmetic mods! It's time to replace the puny wheels and tires for next year!

BMWDave

Very nice pictures!  I hope you enjoyed it :)

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

giant_mtb

Sweet!  Sounds like you had fun...even if you didn't take first...but that's not always what it's about.  :lol:  :lol:  :rockon:  

footoflead

Nice, so you guys were on an actual race track most of the time, lucky, when i went to an autocross at my bros college they use a parking lot. still works, I REALLY enjoy autocrosses they are truely a ton of fun B)  
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

280Z Turbo

My friend in the 240Z took 3rd followed by the red 80s 300ZX that was also from our club. There was also a blown 454 Camaro in our class too. Do you think I stood a chance? :lol:  

footoflead

QuoteMy friend in the 240Z took 3rd followed by the red 80s 300ZX that was also from our club. There was also a blown 454 Camaro in our class too. Do you think I stood a chance? :lol:
:lol:  :rockon:  :rockon:  :rockon:  :rockon:  :rockon:  

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

280Z Turbo

Here's a vid someone took. This was my first run ever, but it sounds like I'm going slow and shifting too soon. Seemed pretty damn fast to me!

http://videos.streetfire.net/Player.aspx?f...91-BBC7F80B7051

footoflead

QuoteHere's a vid someone took. This was my first run ever, but it sounds like I'm going slow and shifting too soon. Seemed pretty damn fast to me!

Yea, Sounds like you shifting a little too soon, Give me an idea of about where you were shifting and how high your engine will go...

Those sound like nice quick shifts, good job :rockon:  :praise:  

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

280Z Turbo

The engine will rev to about 6500 rpm, but it peaks at around 5300 rpm. It was probably around 4k there.

footoflead

QuoteThe engine will rev to about 6500 rpm, but it peaks at around 5300 rpm. It was probably around 4k there.
What would you say your power band is, About 3K to 5.3K, if you shift at 5.3K and it drops out of your powerband then obviously i would take it a little past, I have the same issue in the 'Stang power band is roughly 3K to 5K but since its lacking 2 cylinders you have to beat it a little harder ;)  :lol:

If i were you i would shift somewhere 5400, but thats just what i think, play around with it a little and you'll be spanking every at the next autocross B)  

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Raghavan

QuoteThe engine will rev to about 6500 rpm, but it peaks at around 5300 rpm. It was probably around 4k there.
What would you say your power band is, About 3K to 5.3K, if you shift at 5.3K and it drops out of your powerband then obviously i would take it a little past, I have the same issue in the 'Stang power band is roughly 3K to 5K but since its lacking 2 cylinders you have to beat it a little harder ;)  :lol:

If i were you i would shift somewhere 5400, but thats just what i think, play around with it a little and you'll be spanking every at the next autocross B)
His Z has six cylinders...

giant_mtb

QuoteHere's a vid someone took. This was my first run ever, but it sounds like I'm going slow and shifting too soon. Seemed pretty damn fast to me!

Very cool...  B)  B)  :rockon:  

Raza

Nice pictures, Z!  But, if I can give one bit of advice, don't use digital zoom.  You give up photo quality for digital zoom.  But very nice pics, and I love your Z!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Driving on a track the first time can be scary, but you did a good job.  I've never done an actual race on a track before, but I hope to get into some autocross later on.  

How fast is your car?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

280Z Turbo

QuoteNice pictures, Z!  But, if I can give one bit of advice, don't use digital zoom.  You give up photo quality for digital zoom.  But very nice pics, and I love your Z!
There was no digital zoom. The cars are moving so fast, that the camera blurs it.

What do you mean by "how fast"?

Champ

Wow that looks fun, definitely tires are a good upgrade!  That white/blue Z of your friends looks pretty quick, I assume he's done some mods to it?

Is there a saab 9-2x there I see?  How did that do?

280Z Turbo

Yep. A 9-3 and a 9-2x were present. I think they both did pretty good. My friend with the BRE Z knows the guy with the 9-3, I think.

The BRE Z runs 15 psi of boost, has a 944 intercooler, a 3.90 differential, 370cc injectors, a BOV, performance springs and shocks, my old Saab 9000 Turbo seats and the list goes on.

Champ

Laconian

Congrats! I've always wanted to autocross, I'm jealous that you got in so early!

How'd the Miata do? I think that would be my weapon of choice, not that the Z's aren't mighty fine on their own. How well does the 300ZX slalom? Those are pretty porky.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

280Z Turbo

QuoteCongrats! I've always wanted to autocross, I'm jealous that you got in so early!

How'd the Miata do? I think that would be my weapon of choice, not that the Z's aren't mighty fine on their own. How well does the 300ZX slalom? Those are pretty porky.
There were lots of Miatas. Those and CRXs seemed to be the weapons of choice at Grattan.

Which 300ZX are you talking about? The red Z31 Turbo is by no means, porky. He can run 12s in that thing and he totally redid the suspension. He was a few tenths behind the 240Z Turbo. With better tires, the red Z31 surely would have beat him.

The red Z32 TT is no slouch either.

cawimmer430

Nice pics Sean.  :praise:

Your Z looks lovely. That brown color really is awesome. God how I miss the '70s...eh...I mean from what I've seen on TV.  :lol:  
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie