New Car!

Started by Rupert, September 07, 2005, 10:18:38 PM

Rupert

I bought the Trooper! It's a 1991 with 100300 miles and the 2.8L V6 and an auto tranny (which is just about the only thing I don't like). It's a solid truck with a really solid interior. There's a little rust, but that just ads character. I'm gonna put a new stereo in tomorrow (doing the work myself).

edit: Smaller pics, better selection, no plate number

I think I'll call it Moby, after Moby Dick.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Run Away

And you sold the Miata? :(

Run Away

Ah, that's one thing I remember from when I was like 4-5 years old.
The parking brake pull lever down on the right side.

Funny how you get flashbacks from a very young age like that.  

Raghavan

Don't tell me you sold the miata. Congrats anyway, but why'd you sell a really fuel efficient car for a big SUV?

ifcar

Now you can tell people that you just bought a brand-new Jeep Commander. :D

giant_mtb

Nice...except now everybody knows your license plate number!!!!

:P  

crv16

I've always liked the looks of Troopers.  I almost bought a new one in the early 90's.
09 Honda Accord EX-L V6
09 Subaru Forester X Premium 5 speed

TBR

Nice, just remember that it doesn't corner like a Miata (though it should remind you quickly with queasy stomach inducing body roll, if you don't roll over first ;) :lol:).

Raza

Did you sell the Miata, or is this an addition?  It's nice, though, I like it.  But please don't tell me you sold the MX-5!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rupert

Well, if you don't want me say say I sold the Miata, I won't. But it would be a lie  :( . It was sorta like breaking up with a girlfriend. At least it's still in the family (my uncle bought it).

The Miata was costing too much to keep (payments on a loan), didn't have any room for my shit (moving soon), couldn't carry anyone with me, and it made me really want to drive it (so I'd never get back on a bicycle-- this way, I can't afford the gas to drive everywhere, which is actually better for me and the world). But it was sooooo much fun. I'll buy another when I have enough money in a few years (post college).

I actually really like the Trooper's style. It's sort of a Japanese Jeep. And I only paid $1700 for it. :praise:

And believe me, if I drove it like the Miata, it'd be on it's top in a junkyard already. Of course, if I had driven the Miata like I drive this, there would be no underbody left.  
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Tom

Very nice!  It's dying for a manual though.

Rupert

I know... But at that price, beggars can't be choosers. Oh well.

cozmik

What kind of stereo you going for?

Looks like a nice deal. How's it seem with gas?

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

Raghavan

QuoteWell, if you don't want me say say I sold the Miata, I won't. But it would be a lie  :( . It was sorta like breaking up with a girlfriend. At least it's still in the family (my uncle bought it).

The Miata was costing too much to keep (payments on a loan), didn't have any room for my shit (moving soon), couldn't carry anyone with me, and it made me really want to drive it (so I'd never get back on a bicycle-- this way, I can't afford the gas to drive everywhere, which is actually better for me and the world). But it was sooooo much fun. I'll buy another when I have enough money in a few years (post college).

I actually really like the Trooper's style. It's sort of a Japanese Jeep. And I only paid $1700 for it. :praise:

And believe me, if I drove it like the Miata, it'd be on it's top in a junkyard already. Of course, if I had driven the Miata like I drive this, there would be no underbody left.
That's logical, i guess....

BMWDave

Very nice, I've always liked the classic look of Troopers.  Very attractive vehicle :)

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

JWC

I always liked that body style.

The V6 is a GM design and parts cross-over. I used to work at a GM-Isuzu dealer and we generally used GM parts over Isuzu because the price was as much as half. Example, o2 sensors were 120.00 for Isuzu, but only 45.00 for GM and it came it the same box---minus the Isuzu sticker.

Catman

Nice ride and a great deal IMO. B)  

Rupert

QuoteWhat kind of stereo you going for?

Looks like a nice deal. How's it seem with gas?
I've got the bits and all I need is to put it together. I'm going for good, but not super great, sound. I've got some small mids that are going where the old front speakers were (not much point in getting really nice speakers since the "enclosure" has lots of holes), a pair of tweeters going in the doors where the ashtrays were, and a pair od woofers going where the rear speakers were. I've had to make a few mods to accomodate the nicer speakers, but it should all fit together quite well and look OK too. It's all coming from the Clarion HU that I had in the Miata. It's a nice HU, and it plays MP3 CDs. Looks nice too. I'll take pics of the install and post 'em.

I decided that it needs a tune-up. Plugs, fluids, various filters (not the air filter, though), plug wires, injector cleaning (you know, I'm not even sure if it is fuel injected...), maybe a brake bleed (the fluid is quite black, but the brakes actually have really nice modulation) and anything else I'm missing. It runs really rough when its cold, and it's sometimes hard to start. There's also a decently loud sqeaky squeal that may or may not be the belt. (If any of you mechanic types have any good ideas about the squeal, assuming that it's not the belt, I'd love ot hear them. It's coming from the right side of the engine, near the oil filter... I think. It might still be a belt though).The AC needs recharging, but I'll wait until next spring for that.  I might just have someone do it if the price is right. I don't really feel like fucking around with the engine. Kind of a pain in the arse and I'm short on time.

There were actually two V6s in the '91s. One was an Izusu designed 2.6L (with a head problem that caused the head gasket to leak a lot) and the other is the one I have, the Chevy 2.8L (same as in the S10, I think). Definitely going with GM parts. If the gas gauge is reasonably accurate, I think I can expect about 17-19 mpg in town and 20ish on the highway. I'm still on my first fill up, so we shall see.

I've noticed a huge difference between the S10 my parents have and the Trooper. The Trooper really feels solid. The interior is really burly, and there are very few squeaky noises when I go over bumps and the like. The S10 has all kinds of noises coming from the body and a lot of plastic in the interior. Even though it's much taller, the Trooper feels better on the road, and seems to handle better (despite it's apparent ability to fall over). Even if the 4.3L Vortek in the S10 is a better and stronger engine, I'd take the Trooper any day.

Well, that was long...

Tom

Yup, it's fuel injected.  I would also suggest changing the tranny fluid and filter.  At 100k, there's a good chance this hasn't ever been done.  Maybe coolant too.

Rupert

Indeed. My thinking exactly. Those would fall under "fluids and filters", eh? ;)  

Tom

QuoteIndeed. My thinking exactly. Those would fall under "fluids and filters", eh? ;)
Sorry, I read that entire post tired and in about 16 seconds before leaving for school :lol:  

Raza

I'm not talking to you anymore, Psilos.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Run Away

Quote(despite it's apparent ability to fall over)
*giggle*

Raghavan

QuoteI'm not talking to you anymore, Psilos.
:rolleyes:  

Rupert

Dude, you never really talked to me before ;) .

footoflead

Dude, you never really talked to me before ;) .
You should've givin the miata to me :angry:  ;)  :D  
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Rupert

Well, if you'd shown up at my house, we could've done a trade. You could have given me $4000 and I could have given you the Miata. ;)

cawimmer430

You're probably the only member on Carspin and C&D who drives an ISUZU! That's a first.  :lol:  
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

ifcar

Someone on C/D has a Rodeo, maybe two people.

Tom

Honda Passport is equivelant to something and someone has one.  Rodeo I think.