Edmunds: "GM lied" about the Volt's electric drive system

Started by ifcar, October 11, 2010, 10:24:04 AM

ifcar

"Despite promises that the Chevy Volt will operate as an electric car at all times, it will in fact at times be directly driven in part by its internal combustion engine."

http://www.insideline.com/chevrolet/volt/2011/gm-lied-chevy-volt-is-not-a-true-ev.html

r0tor

Interesting that it works in reality nothing like it was advertised to work like.... there is a fairly big difference between a run of the mill plungin hybrid and a full out ev with a gas backup generator...

But it the end of the day, its the same functionality to the end consumer...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Secret Chimp

I had high hopes for this thing, but kept forgetting it was GM.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Rich

Quote from: r0tor on October 11, 2010, 10:53:11 AM
Interesting that it works in reality nothing like it was advertised to work like.... there is a fairly big difference between a run of the mill plungin hybrid and a full out ev with a gas backup generator...

But it the end of the day, its the same functionality to the end consumer...

It does work just like an EV with a backup generator, until you go over 70. 
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

2o6

Quote from: Secret Chimp on October 11, 2010, 11:03:15 AM
I had high hopes for this thing, but kept forgetting it was GM.

Huh? Aside from the pricetag, the entire system blows other hybrids out of the water.

2o6

Reading into it some more, this actually makes a lot more sense to have the gas motor power the wheels. It takes over where efficency of the electric motor falls off; speeds above 70MPH.

In normal driving (and perhaps freeway speeds 65MPH and down) the car will be electrically driven entirely.

How is this a "Lie"?

NomisR

Quote from: 2o6 on October 11, 2010, 01:16:08 PM
Reading into it some more, this actually makes a lot more sense to have the gas motor power the wheels. It takes over where efficency of the electric motor falls off; speeds above 70MPH.

In normal driving (and perhaps freeway speeds 65MPH and down) the car will be electrically driven entirely.

How is this a "Lie"?

It's not a full electric vehicle as they originally claimed.  Originally, they said the only thing the ICE would do is generate electricity. 

FlatBlackCaddy

Popular mechanics review

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/reviews/hybrid-electric/volt-reliability-report-test

They got a average range of 33 miles on a 11ish hour charge.

"In addition to measuring EV range, we also recorded the fuel use when the car was in its ?charge sustaining" mode. In other words, we computed the fuel economy after the battery was depleted, both on our city loop and the highway trip. In the city, we recorded 31.67 mpg and achieved 36.0 mpg on the highway. If we factor in the distance traveled on the battery's energy the fuel economy jumps to 37.5 mpg city and 38.15 mpg highway"

Mid 30's combined when in "extended" mode.

Hot dog, someone hold them back. Gm better leave some room for the next gen volt, with such stunning figures they really backed themselves into a corner. Going to be pretty tough to top that.

2o6

That's with the battery depleted.

When charged, that figure doubles.

the Teuton

This car makes me want a Prius.

I think it's too little, too late.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Laconian

I'm so glad we as taxpayers helped pay for the R&D on this revolutionary groundbreaking vehicle, the Plug-in Prius With A Bigger Battery.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Laconian

Quote from: 68_427 on October 11, 2010, 08:22:47 PM
MT averaged 120+mpg in their test.
Is that using some kind of ridiculous "MPG-equivalent" calculation?

Laconian

It has a tank capacity of 9.3 gallons. 120mpg*9.3 should mean it has a range of 1116 miles, right? Obviously MT is doing a lot of weird math to arrive at that number, or their drives were too short to engage the ICE.

the Teuton

So what happens if I want to take my Volt on vacation? Can I average 126 mpg from Pittsburgh to Florida?

Or will my more usable, more functional, older, 37 mpg in 80/20 mixed driving Saturn largely yield better numbers than the vaunted Volt?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Rich

There should be two mileage figures here

1) miles per KwH (or whatever electrical figure) just using the thing as an EV (commuting, not using gas)

2) mpg with batteries depleted (road tripping)

Laconian

Quote from: HotRodPilot on October 11, 2010, 08:37:40 PM
There should be two mileage figures here

1) miles per KwH (or whatever electrical figure) just using the thing as an EV (commuting, not using gas)

2) mpg with batteries depleted (road tripping)
No, there should be only one number, computed by a function that can be continuously manipulated by GM PR and politicians to fool the public.

Look at this fucking moron. Jesus, GM pisses me off.

SVT666

So the Ford Fusion Hybrid gets better mileage and it's a bigger car.  The only thing this car does better than anything else on the market is be a commuter car.  A $40,000 commuter car.

the Teuton

Quote from: SVT666 on October 11, 2010, 08:45:39 PM
So the Ford Fusion Hybrid gets better mileage and it's a bigger car.  The only thing this car does better than anything else on the market is be a commuter car.  A $40,000 commuter car.

Kinda defeats the point, doesn't it? Hopefully, Elon Musk can bring out the Model S close to the $50k estimated price so this car will truly be outclassed by an apples-to-apples car. Who knows, GM might still claim victory because this thing is still more functional than a Leaf.

Laconian

Why I think this is a major FAIL is because I know that your typical American family owns multiple cars. My boyfriend and I could purchase both a SUV/wagon and a pure EV, and commute to work in both. No range anxiety there. When we take longer trips, we take the conventionally powered car instead. Still no range anxiety? So where does the Volt come into the picture?

The Volt is an expensive shorter-distance car, and it's simply an OK longer-distance car. We can afford to specialize in this country, there's no reason to pick a car that's a jack of all trades and master of none.

Rich

What if you need to make a swing by the hospital after work or the family calls during the day for something thats out of your way on the normal commute?

Laconian

In my case, that's never happened. Everything I need to access is within 25mi tops.

Nissan is offering free car rentals to Leaf buyers who occasionally need to drive beyond the range of their cars.

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on October 11, 2010, 08:22:10 PM
I'm so glad we as taxpayers helped pay for the R&D on this revolutionary groundbreaking vehicle, the Plug-in Prius With A Bigger Battery.

Lest we not forget: The Prius was subsidized almost entirely by the Japanese government. It too was pretty impractical in it's first iteration.

Quote from: Laconian on October 11, 2010, 08:24:16 PM
Is that using some kind of ridiculous "MPG-equivalent" calculation?

No, by driving their test loop. Until the battery goes below a certain mark (~40 miles BEFORE the gas motor kicks in) the car is on electric power only.

The Volt is going to make a lot of people happy, and piss a lot of people off. The technology and application of the car means that MPG's may be stellar for one person, and average for another.

For example, If I worked in Cleveland (which is a ~60 mile drive). I'd make it most of the way in theoretical infinte MPG. Then, near Cleveland, the gas motor would cut on to recharge the batteries. This would cause my theroetical MPG's to drop significantly. However, when I'm navigating the city streets, the Electric motor is using less power (going slower, cuts off at traffic lights) but the gas motor is recharging the batteries. This would cause my average MPG's to swing upward, drastically.

Quote from: HotRodPilot on October 11, 2010, 09:04:09 PM
What if you need to make a swing by the hospital after work or the family calls during the day for something thats out of your way on the normal commute?

Depends on what the route is.

Quote from: Laconian on October 11, 2010, 08:41:56 PM
No, there should be only one number, computed by a function that can be continuously manipulated by GM PR and politicians to fool the public.

Look at this fucking moron. Jesus, GM pisses me off.

On an entirely city loop, it will achieve that. The gas motor only chimes in a tiny bit to recharge the batteries.

Quote from: the Teuton on October 11, 2010, 08:35:56 PM
So what happens if I want to take my Volt on vacation? Can I average 126 mpg from Pittsburgh to Florida?

Or will my more usable, more functional, older, 37 mpg in 80/20 mixed driving Saturn largely yield better numbers than the vaunted Volt?

That isn't (nor has always ever been) the purpose of this car, or any hybrid for that matter.

SVT666

My commute would require a charge once I get to work.

2o6

Quote from: SVT666 on October 11, 2010, 09:37:39 PM
My commute would require a charge once I get to work.

Unless you don't navigate any city streets, the motor would likely recharge the entire system by the time you got to work. (Or, you have a freakishly long freeway commute)

If you were recharging by the time you got to work, you'd likely get a super-high, triple digit MPG figure.

the Teuton

I love how a range of 40 miles suddenly became "25-40 miles". I love how that number dropped drastically, too.

We have no idea how much worse this thing will do in cold weather, either.

Rich

hey genius (2o6), the engine doesn't replenish the batteries

giant_mtb

Yeah.  This thing would suck balls in winter.  It's "optimal" temperature range is 32-90some degrees F, IIRC.  It'd be useless in winter in a large area of the country.

the Teuton

Last winter in Pittsburgh, it got down to -2F. Couple that with high-friction snow tires, and this thing will likely suck donkey testicles.