Catylitic converter + tuneup?

Started by AutobahnSHO, October 16, 2010, 07:04:45 AM

AutobahnSHO

So I'm tired of the rattling from the Subie. Started when we got a really really cold spell (for Georgia anyway) winter 2008.

Looking online it looks like there are TWO cats- front and rear. Cheapies can be had for $100-150 each.
One place sells the entire assembly for $399 with gaskets and whatever. With 5yr warranty- but they point out that the cat fails because of engine issues, and the engine needs to be in satisfactory running condition.

Frequently I can smell gas coming from the exhaust after startup. Don't notice it after it's been running.
Probably needs a full tuneup- seems like the previous owner kept it in meticulous condition until the transmission started acting funky then didn't worry about it.
(I've replaced an axle, alternator, and battery.  Solenoid in the tranny doesn't disengage back wheels, it is 'binding' around corners since I got it.)

Anyway- question is,
What should I work on to keep it running? (Tuneup would be plugs, what else?)
What should I do about the cats?
Will

3.0L V6

On cool mornings, I notice a gas smell from my car too. It's normal on cool mornings when the engine and catalytic converters are cold.

Tuneup = plugs and air filter on most modern cars, maybe wires and distributor cap. Does it need a timing belt change soon?

Cats - usually a dead cat should throw a CEL, right? The downstream O2 sensor should catch that, right?

If the tranny's having issues I'd be hesitant to dump lots of $$$ into the car.

S204STi

Ditto the gas smell on cool mornings. 

Just curious, are you sure the rattle is from a loose monolith in the cat pipe or is it a heat shield?

Rupert

When I do a "full" tuneup on a modern car, I go for plugs, wires, (cap and rotor), air filter, oil and filter, fuel filter(s), clean the battery terminals, and then I go through the hoses and belts, replacing as necessary. I will also check and bleed the brakes and clutch. This is usually when I change the other fluids, too (tranny, diffs, transfer case if applicable). I basically only go to this extent after I buy a car.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: R-inge on October 16, 2010, 09:09:29 AM

Just curious, are you sure the rattle is from a loose monolith in the cat pipe or is it a heat shield?

I thought it was shields but I cut one off and had no change, put a hoseclamp around the loose end, no change.
Took it to a shop who for $50 said it was the cat.

I have no CEL or other lights, should probably learn how to check the codes.

OH I've also changed the trannyfluid as soon as I got it, changed the accessory belts, and visually check the brakes every 6months or so.

In the cold <35degrees the brake light comes on and doesn't go off until the car is warmed up. First time it happened I was late to morning physical fitness training because i was checking the fluid level and the system.

OH and it also really needs a windshield, but again I don't want to stuff lots of money into a possible FailCar. Coupla big cracks and it's pitted really bad, makes rain driving or nighttime driving a small incovenient hassle.

Used trannies are about $600 online, I'm super tempted to buy one to have just in case. But I'd also want to rebuild it before using it but don't have time/money to do that.
SIGH.

Oh well, I'm leaving for afghan in Jan-Feb and am prepping the wife to be buying a new (Different used) car Spring 2012...
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: R-inge on October 16, 2010, 09:09:29 AM

I thought it was shields but I checked them and cut one off and had no change, put a hoseclamp around the loose end, no change.
Took it to a shop who for $50 said it was the cat.

I have no CEL or other lights, should probably learn how to check the codes.

OH I've also changed the trannyfluid as soon as I got it, changed the accessory belts, and visually check the brakes every 6months or so.

In the cold <35degrees the brake light comes on and doesn't go off until the car is warmed up. First time it happened I was late to morning physical fitness training because i was checking the fluid level and the system.

OH and it also really needs a windshield, but again I don't want to stuff lots of money into a possible FailCar. Coupla big cracks and it's pitted really bad, makes rain driving or nighttime driving a small incovenient hassle.

Used trannies are about $600 online, I'm super tempted to buy one to have just in case. But I'd also want to rebuild it before using it but don't have time/money to do that.
SIGH.

Oh well, I'm leaving for afghan in Jan-Feb and am prepping the wife to be buying a new (Different used) car Spring 2012...
Will

r0tor

I was hearing a rattling sound for awhile in the rx8... last week it informed me with a cel that it has burned up its second catalytic converter.  I believe this one is just going to get drilled out and have the cel turned off with my Cobb accessport
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

AutobahnSHO

Tempting, since I don't have to do emission tests on this car (EVER) but I wonder how the CEL works with the subiez??
Will

r0tor

They sell o2 foolers that are fairly cheap for oldr and less sophisticated automobiles
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

So I dropped my midpipe to see how bad my cat was... and well.... I looked in... and ..... I saw...... nothing..... no cat at all!  Nichts! NADA.... ZILCH