US-Spec Mitsubishi iMIEV

Started by 2o6, November 09, 2010, 08:09:28 AM

2o6

Markedly wider and longer.

I wonder how hard it would be to swap in the gas motor and possibly a manual transmission?

ifcar

They really should be offering a gas engine here too. Much more mainstream appeal.

2o6

Quote from: ifcar on November 09, 2010, 08:35:27 AM
They really should be offering a gas engine here too. Much more mainstream appeal.

Yeah, and since it's really just a stretched smart Fortwo, I think that a tuned variant of that engine would be perfect.

cawimmer430

It needs real leather seats and a low 6 second 0-60 time to be taken halfway seriously.  :devil:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

thewizard16

Quote from: cawimmer430 on November 09, 2010, 09:52:39 AM
It needs real leather seats and a low 6 second 0-60 time to be taken halfway seriously.  :devil:
Wouldn't hurt  ;).

This is interesting, but in it's current form it wouldn't be very marketable outside of college campuses and dense cities, I'm afraid.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

2o6

Quote from: thewizard16 on November 09, 2010, 08:20:41 PM
Wouldn't hurt  ;).

This is interesting, but in it's current form it wouldn't be very marketable outside of college campuses and dense cities, I'm afraid.

I think it'll fail. The Leaf is more of a usable car and is cheaper.

CJ

The iMiEV in other markets is TINY TINY TINY.  The Dallas Auto Show had one on display this year and I sat in it.  Way small. 

cawimmer430

Quote from: thewizard16 on November 09, 2010, 08:20:41 PM
Wouldn't hurt  ;).

Had a photoshoot today with a fully electric car. I'm not saying what it is but the fact that it is fully electric will probably give it away. It also does 0-60 in 3.7 seconds. It was orange. It was small and cramped. Wow, what a car! Had a lot of fun with the owner who was hammering it all day! The acceleration is pure madness - and it's so quiet.

Anyway, with a range of about 250 km, this car makes perfect sense for someone who commutes to work in the city. A 250 km range should be completely adequate for a whole week in this situation. And if their home/workplace provides recharging outlets it won't even be a problem.

It amazes me that some people start complaining about electric cars "Man, how am I supposed to drive from Florida to Alaska with such a shitty range!? Fuck that I'm getting a Ford Excursion V10! At least I can gas it up every 10 miles!". Right now the technology is virtually in its infancy but the range and endurance can only improve from now on.  :ohyeah:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Payman

Quote from: 2o6 on November 09, 2010, 08:21:56 PM

I think it'll fail. The Leaf is more of a usable car and is cheaper.

What? This thing costs more than $35,000???

2o6

Payman

Quote from: 2o6 on November 10, 2010, 08:58:35 PM

Just a tad bit.

FAIL. And that's a shame, because if they offered it with the gas engine and priced it below $15,000, it might have a chance.

giant_mtb

That piece of shit costs $35k?  Jesus Christ.

2o6

giant_mtb

Yeah? So are golf carts and I'd rather have an electric golf cart because it's about the same size, has the same functionality, and I can take it on the golf course!

2o6

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 10, 2010, 10:05:29 PM
Yeah? So are golf carts and I'd rather have an electric golf cart because it's about the same size, has the same functionality, and I can take it on the golf course!

:rolleyes:

Laconian

There's no whizbang geek chic, no green aura surrounding it. It's just so chintzy, there's no way this can have any emotional allure. As for logic? No one's deluded enough to spend $35,000 to save a few bucks at the pump.

Bottom line: emotional fail, rational fail. Fail fail.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

giant_mtb

Quote from: 2o6 on November 10, 2010, 10:08:15 PM
:rolleyes:

My statement was just as irrational as the rationale behind paying $35k for a vehicle this shitty.

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on November 10, 2010, 10:15:41 PM
There's no whizbang geek chic, no green aura surrounding it. It's just so chintzy, there's no way this can have any emotional allure. As for logic? No one's deluded enough to spend $35,000 to save a few bucks at the pump.

Bottom line: emotional fail, rational fail. Fail fail.

It looks cool.

giant_mtb

Laconian

Quote from: 2o6 on November 10, 2010, 10:31:07 PM
It looks cool.
I'm sure you can compile a long list of cooler looking cars that will cost less. So what other virtues does it possess?

Anyways, in my opinion, the market is not ready for electric cars. The R&D hasn't reached the point where it can it be sold at a price point that befits its intended purpose. When you're selling a urban runabout for the price of a luxury car, something's wrong. And subsidies are the wrong-headed way to force the numbers to work out.

thewizard16

Quote from: cawimmer430 on November 10, 2010, 02:42:44 PM
Had a photoshoot today with a fully electric car. I'm not saying what it is but the fact that it is fully electric will probably give it away. It also does 0-60 in 3.7 seconds. It was orange. It was small and cramped. Wow, what a car! Had a lot of fun with the owner who was hammering it all day! The acceleration is pure madness - and it's so quiet.
:wub: I'd do unspeakable things for a Tesla Roadster.

92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

omicron

I don't think you can buy them here - only lease. I've seen one or two of our wee versions about the place.

cawimmer430

Quote from: thewizard16 on November 10, 2010, 11:30:44 PM
:wub: I'd do unspeakable things for a Tesla Roadster.

Yep. An orange Tesla Roadster:praise:

HOLY FUCKING SHIT THAT THING WAS FAST AS FUCK!!!  :confused:  :mask:

The acceleration of that thing is brutal! I mean the most badass car I've driven was a 500-hp 800 Nm CL600 V12 Biturbo and the Tesla felt even more dramatic in terms of "torque". Electricity...a powerful thing!  :mrcool:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on November 10, 2010, 10:41:10 PM
I'm sure you can compile a long list of cooler looking cars that will cost less. So what other virtues does it possess?

Anyways, in my opinion, the market is not ready for electric cars. The R&D hasn't reached the point where it can it be sold at a price point that befits its intended purpose. When you're selling a urban runabout for the price of a luxury car, something's wrong. And subsidies are the wrong-headed way to force the numbers to work out.

The Leaf is it's only actual competitor; the Volt is a hybrid.

Judging from the cult following of the EV1 and RAV4 EV, a lot of people are ready for Electric vehicles, and these new cars have a much better range.

You have to examine this car in context with other electric cars; otherwise the Mitsubishi iMIEV will always lose.

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 10, 2010, 10:33:59 PM

So does that, and it doesn't cost $35k.

Will you stop being stupid? The iMIEV is not NEV, so it's top speed and acceleration is similar to a regular car. It's also markedly bigger than a golf cart.

Laconian

Quote from: 2o6 on November 11, 2010, 06:35:48 AM
Judging from the cult following of the EV1 and RAV4 EV, a lot of people are ready for Electric vehicles, and these new cars have a much better range.

You have to examine this car in context with other electric cars; otherwise the Mitsubishi iMIEV will always lose.
The context is that electric cars need to be shitty tin cans in order to run on battery packs that people can afford. Scale the battery pack up to propel a comfortable, familiar chassis and we have exceeded the means of most Americans. I think you know it rationally, but probably don't emotionally grasp the gut punch of a $35,000 expense to a working person.

Cult following? Maybe in the way that everybody's a fan of the McLaren F1. Everybody loves it, and few can actually own it. You forget that nobody ever owned an EV1 - they leased it from GM, GM ate the rest of the expenses that went into R&D and production.

ifcar

Quote from: 2o6 on November 11, 2010, 06:35:48 AM

The Leaf is it's only actual competitor; the Volt is a hybrid.

Right, no one will ever cross-shop the two of the cars that go the longest without using gasoline because one has an engine that drives the car at 70 mph.

Payman

People will look at this car at the dealership, with $12,000 in mind. All the local ambulances won't be able to keep up with all the sticker shock victims.

2o6

Quote from: ifcar on November 11, 2010, 09:40:54 AM
Right, no one will ever cross-shop the two of the cars that go the longest without using gasoline because one has an engine that drives the car at 70 mph.

The Volt uses gas, period. That kinda disqualifies it from being considered as an electric car when you have a gas motor charging the electric motor, (or turning the wheels).

Will they be cross shopped? Maybe, possibly.

ifcar

Quote from: 2o6 on November 11, 2010, 05:33:27 PM
The Volt uses gas, period. That kinda disqualifies it from being considered as an electric car when you have a gas motor charging the electric motor, (or turning the wheels).

Will they be cross shopped? Maybe, possibly.

It is obviously a competitor.

Payman

The Volt is an extended range electric car. It can run on its electric motor indefinitely, as long as you charge it when required. In fact, GM has programmed the car to briefly run its gas engine after (3 months?) so the gas in the tank doesn't go stale. If I were in the market for such a car, this would be it.