THE EDITORS OF AUTOWEEK
Published Date: 5/9/05
2005 VOLKSWAGEN JETTA
DATE IN FLEET: April 4-11
AS TESTED PRICE: $22,080
POWERTRAIN: 2.5-liter I5; fwd, six-speed automatic
OUTPUT: 150 hp @ 5000 rpm, 170 lb-ft @ 3750 rpm
CURB WEIGHT: 3285 lbs
Mandel: There is no reason why this Jetta shouldn?t generate great excitement about Volkswagen?s new products, and sell its fair share, too. This is a value-laden ride with a very handsome look, a world-class interior and a head-shaking price of $22,000. There is room galore, just enough chrome to make your bling meter rise, and a ride-and-handling balance that is more than pretty darned good.

I am not so jaded as to think there won?t be a few people in the office whose first notes will be about the car?s woefully underpowered engine. Wrong car, Bunkie: This works well for what it is.

The question for VW?and this will be one of those marketing challenges?is whether or not this car will move more toward the mainstream. There is no reason why this shouldn?t appeal to anyone and everyone, especially those young professionals looking to up their own image.

I say this because my eldest came in and said, ?I thought you said you were getting the Jetta this evening.? ?That?s what it is,? I said. ?Looks pretty good, huh??

?It looks like a Phaeton! It really does look good.?

That?s a start, VW.

Raynal: My impression of this new Jetta is VW sweated a lot of details but missed some big-picture stuff. Maybe I should just say I bet I will like this car a lot more with the fantastic 2.0-liter turbo. This five-cylinder does nothin? for me.

At first I was lukewarm about this Jetta, but it grew on me. Attention to interior detail remains first-rate. The materials are lovely, everything fits, and everything works with precision. The ride/handling balance is also excellent, as is the steering. From what I?ve driven so far this year, this is one of the great small chassis around.

The car feels happiest at 80 mph and above, typical of German-designed and developed cars. At that speed, it is poised and feels like a little rocket ship. I can?t wait for the 2.0-liter turbo

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

I have been very unimpressed with the new Jetta, it drives too much like a Corolla and costs too much more. All this "it looks like a Phaeton" and "it's an inexpensive way to get into a nice German-feeling car" is a load of crap.

Look at what it is, it's an overpriced compact sedan. There is nothing that it can do that any of many good cars can't do for less money.

280Z Turbo

There VW goes again. Straight into Audi territory. Aren't they competing with themselves with these new premium cars? What about those of us who don't want all the bells and whistles but just want a normal VW? Audi is supposed to be the really nice premium cars while VW is supposed to make well built affordable cars without all the leather and chrome.

The new design is bland, slab sided, and oddly proportioned. They're both about the same heighth, but the old one was better at hiding the fact that it was fairly tall. The old one has a much more agrressive and interesting design, IMO. The new one looks so huge and bloated.

I like the old interior better. It looks sportier. The new steering wheel is ugly.

TBR

Like many people, I think that the old car was better in pretty much every conceivable way.

ifcar

I like the old interior better. It looks sportier. The new steering wheel is ugly.

I definitely prefer the new steering wheel. The old one looks like a blob with spokes.

And TBR, the new Jetta is roomier inside, but I'd agree that the old one was as good or better in most ways, and for a lower price.

280Z Turbo

The new steering wheel looks boring, cheap, and flat. Reminds me of a Chevy Aveo.

The old one was smoother and sportier looking.

TBR

QuoteAnd TBR, the new Jetta is roomier inside, but I'd agree that the old one was as good or better in most ways, and for a lower price.
Yep, I realize that, but even the Passat is about the same in price.

Catman

QuoteThere VW goes again. Straight into Audi territory. Aren't they competing with themselves with these new premium cars? What about those of us who don't want all the bells and whistles but just want a normal VW? Audi is supposed to be the really nice premium cars while VW is supposed to make well built affordable cars without all the leather and chrome.
Couldn't agree more, what is it that VW is trying to accomplish?  I liked it when VW was all about value and German feel.

mazda6er

I like the new interior better, but the exterior is much too rounded. That chrome bumper piece just completely destroys any chance of it being good-looking.  It's a good car, no doubt, but a bit overdone.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

hahn

Yeah, if you are going to buy a Corolla lookalike, you might as well just buy the Toyota, so you can get the reliability too.

As many others said, I don't like the new Jetta at all.   I loved both the 3rd gen and 4th gen Jettas, they were both very attractive, cool cars.

I test drove both gens when I bought my Civic.  I really wanted a Golf TDI, but wasn't able to find one in my price range, and in the end, I went for the Civic because reliability is paramount to me at this point in life.

A step backwards for VW though, I am disappointed.

BMWDave

I like the steering wheel in the new Jetta better than the old one....its not as bloated.  Its still a bit too flat though.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...