Top Gear thread

Started by Mustangfan2003, November 17, 2010, 09:32:40 PM

The Pirate

Quote from: r0tor on December 12, 2010, 08:53:18 PM
The raptor segment was pure win

Yes, it was.  Incorporating a PT Cruiser insult was pretty sweet too.  Show's getting a lot better with each episode.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

hotrodalex

I thought it was great. Some of the stuff is still a little awkward or corny, but overall it's definitely something I'll look forward to every week.

68_427

I can't wait for next week.  Except Rutledge destroys an awesome Roadmaster.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Vinsanity

The Raptor segment was very fun to watch, but the finish looked painfully similar to Hammond's original Cayenne vs. Skydiver segment. That Raptor is a glorious machine, though...it may be a Porsche for "bros", but it makes so much more sense than a Lightning or Ram SRT-10 (if I want a fast truck, I want it to be fast off-road. Otherwise, I'll just buy a fast car)

After seeing clips fom the SLS segment used for TG-specific Mercedes commercials, I'm somewhat glad that Adam said he didn't like the car. Hopefully this tells us that the content won't be swayed by advertising dollars.

I was hoping that they would've done more with the El Camino vs. Del Sol segment. That had a lot of potential for further antics. It would've also been cool to see Tanner participate with something equally ridiculous like a Geo Tracker or something. Hopefully the "durability test" segment in the next episode will be more substantial, like the original.

Mustangfan2003

giant_mtb

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on December 12, 2010, 08:40:02 PM
Only what about 10 seconds slower than the Evo?

10 seconds is a long damn time on a relatively short track like that.

SVT666

I totally LOL'd when Adam started making jet noises when he played with the gear selector in the SLS.  The Raptor segment was sex and the finish to the race could never have been setup.  That truck is amazing.  The paintball segment sucked though.  At least the guest knew something about cars this week.  Kid Rock's interview was actually pretty good, and he made a good point about the Big 3 needing to build a car that defines our generation that doesn't run on leaves.

Overall, this was the best episode yet and I look forward to watching it every week.

Mustangfan2003

Yeah Kid Rocks music sucks but I enjoyed his interview. 

giant_mtb

Best episode so far, for sure.

Mustangfan2003

I think next week could be the best of the season if the GM segment is as good as the British Leyland episode.

Rich

I went back and watched the $1,000 challenge episode and I'd say that's the best one so far
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

r0tor

After looking at the stig again, I'd be willing to bet its Paul Tracy
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Vinsanity

Quote from: r0tor on December 14, 2010, 07:03:57 AM
After looking at the stig again, I'd be willing to bet its Paul Tracy

that would be a dumb decision to make. PT has much better camera presence than the others, and they make him some speechless, faceless character that doesn't have any of the hilarious random quirks that the original British version does?

r0tor

Very true... however the stig does look a bit pudgy and has the overly aggressive driving style of PT...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Vinsanity

PT would be pretty hilarious to watch participate in a cheap car challenge, along with Adam Carolla and Tim Allen

AutobahnSHO

That Tanner guy is boring.

Driving a truck that mean and he barely even twitches at the mouth.
Will

Onslaught

Strange, Tanner is the only one I like. I hate the southern guy. Hate him.

SVT666

Adam is the one I have the hardest time warming up to, but I still like him.  Rutledge is hilarious and Tanner can fucking drive anything fast.

ChrisV

Quote from: SVT666 on December 16, 2010, 11:50:27 PM
Adam is the one I have the hardest time warming up to, but I still like him.  Rutledge is hilarious and Tanner can fucking drive anything fast.

I'm with you. Rutledge seems like the kind of car guy I normally hang out with, and always looks like he's stoked to be paid to have fun with cars. Tanner's got a much more subtle sense of humor. I thought he was simply too dry before, but when he talked about "hold on, we have to drive over a small car here" then had a little, "see what i mean" smirk afterward with the raised eyebrow, I really start to get his style. And he can definitely drive.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

ChrisV

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on December 12, 2010, 08:40:02 PM
Only what about 10 seconds slower than the Evo?

Yeah, but only a couple seconds faster than the Suzuki. But then again, it's so not supposed to be doing hat at all, considering the weight, soft suspension and tires that don't really find grip on pavement.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Middle_Path

The show is painful to watch. I try, and I try hard to like it, because it's another car show. That won't cut it for me. Terrible.
You see what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps?!!

MrH

Quote from: SVT666 on December 16, 2010, 11:50:27 PM

Hilarious?....what?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

The Pirate

Quote from: ChrisV on December 17, 2010, 05:49:14 AM
I'm with you. Rutledge seems like the kind of car guy I normally hang out with, and always looks like he's stoked to be paid to have fun with cars. Tanner's got a much more subtle sense of humor. I thought he was simply too dry before, but when he talked about "hold on, we have to drive over a small car here" then had a little, "see what i mean" smirk afterward with the raised eyebrow, I really start to get his style. And he can definitely drive.

Yeah, that was a very Clarkson-esque vibe that Tanner gave off (and a good thing).  I do want to like Rutledge, but his lines seem a bit forced.  He's getting a lot better with each episode, and the show is still something that I look forward to each week.  The segment where they are sitting around the fire with the moonshine was simply fantastic.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

MX793

Rutledge can be a bit hit or miss.  There are plenty of times when his lines seem forced, but other times when they come off quite naturally.  Faust seemed a little uptight at first, but seems to be loosening up with each episode.  It's obvious his sense of humor is drier and a bit subtler.  Ferrara seems the most natural at tossing out sarcastic remarks, but that's to be expected since he's a comedian.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SVT666

On the set, Rutledge's lines seem forced, but in the segments they come off quite naturally.

Mustangfan2003

I admit I want that Roadmaster. 

2o6

Quote from: Middle_Path on December 18, 2010, 07:02:13 AM
The show is painful to watch. I try, and I try hard to like it, because it's another car show. That won't cut it for me. Terrible.

I thought I was the only one.

TBR

Quote from: SVT666 on December 19, 2010, 01:21:50 AM
On the set, Rutledge's lines seem forced, but in the segments they come off quite naturally.

I agree.

Ferrara is the only one that seems at all comfortable on the set.

Last weeks episode was pretty good. My dad watched it with me, and he seemed to enjoy it, despite definitely not being a car guy.

The last segment was odd though. Don't really understand why Foust wasn't involved.

It's getting better.

Mustangfan2003

I think they can do without the news segment. 

hotrodalex

Poor Cutlass. Dents and Coke all over the place. :(