Top Gear thread

Started by Mustangfan2003, November 17, 2010, 09:32:40 PM

Rich

Need to get a youtube video montage of Rutledge awesomes
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Raza

Why does Rutledge do the interviews?  He has less charisma than the Stig.  Ferrara should do the interviews.  Or have a random audience member do it.  Rutledge sucks at them.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: the Teuton on December 27, 2010, 11:08:37 AM
I disagree. Yes, they use a British vocab, but it's more poetic, more fluid.
I agree with that.

QuoteListen to the American hosts and every other sentence is a simile--which the Brits do, too, but they don't make a habit of it in the same obsessive way. The Brit hosts can get away with it because they're smooth enough to make it work. The American hosts all seem bogged down by their lack of knowledge of the English language.
I disagree with that.  The Brit hosts use the same terms to describe cars in every episode.  They are just better speakers.  Their use of vocabulary is just as limited.  They just don't use "awesome", which is more of an American term anyway.  I bet the Brits think the same thing of the Brit hosts.  Can't they use another term other than "Brilliant" or "Cock" or "Garbage".....

Also, come on, they survived going into Iraq...and the end...I thought this episode was a perfect example of why the American series will never be as good as the British one. You think they could do the same thing?
Go watch that Iraq episode and then watch Bolivia, Botswana, Vietnam, or North Pole and try and tell me that it was anywhere near in the same league as those episodes.

Byteme

Quote from: SVT666 on December 27, 2010, 01:51:48 PM
 Can't they use another term other than "Brilliant" or "Cock" or "Garbage".....

Rubbish.  They use it a lot.

hotrodalex

Quote from: SVT666 on December 27, 2010, 10:44:03 AM
You think this because you never hear the words the British hosts use because they are from another country.  If you haven't noticed the British hosts use the same vocab in every episode.  (i)Brilliant(/i) being the most common word they use.

That's what I was saying. But I agree with Teuton, it still flows better and doesn't sound as simple. And the Americans definitely use similes too much.

the Teuton

Let's compare the hosts:

Rutledge Wood: He's a car guy. His big break came in hosting NASCAR programs on SPEED, but he likes cars of all sorts. He likes NASCAR, though, which is unfortunate.

Adam Ferrara: His big break came through comedy.

Tanner Foust: Stunt driver, drifter, race car driver. Probably should've been The Stig if he isn't already.

-------------------

Jeremy Clarkson: Began his career as a journalist and TV personality. Got his big break after the Beeb picked him up in 1988 after doing four years of freelance car writing.

James May: Got his degree in music. Found his big break after writing for Autocar in the 1980s and creating one of its most controversial layouts as a design editor. He was fired in 1992.

Richard Hammond: He worked as a radio DJ and host in the late-1980s. Top Gear was his big break other than working in radio.

Each of them also do a ton of work outside of cars in their respective roles.
----------------------

So what we have in the first group are a guy who likes cars, a guy who drives cars and a comedian. In the second group, we have three storytellers.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

SVT666

Ummmm.  Comedians and TV hosts are storytellers too man.  I see what you mean, but have you even watched the first few seasons of Top Gear?  Almost unwatchable.

the Teuton

Quote from: SVT666 on December 27, 2010, 06:16:17 PM
Ummmm.  Comedians and TV hosts are storytellers too man.  I see what you mean, but have you even watched the first few seasons of Top Gear?  Almost unwatchable.

I blame it on the fat guy.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

James May is the glue that holds them together.  If Top Gear were a band, James May plays bass.  He's essential and largely unsung.  Clarkson plays the drums and Hammond is lead guitar. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Mustangfan2003

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=23617.msg1446048#msg1446048 date=1293499429
James May is the glue that holds them together.  If Top Gear were a band, James May plays bass.  He's essential and largely unsung.  Clarkson plays the drums and Hammond is lead guitar. 

I think I would swap roles there with Clarkson and Hammond. 

Raza

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on December 27, 2010, 08:46:58 PM
I think I would swap roles there with Clarkson and Hammond. 

No way.  Playing a guitar takes precision.  Drumming is basically hitting things with a hammer, which is Clarkson's specialty. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Mustangfan2003

I say that because besides the lead singer the guitarist is typically the most popular person in a band.  That is Clarkson and I don't think I could picture this show without him.  Even the specials he does on his own are better than a lot of automotive shows. 

Raza

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on December 27, 2010, 09:30:44 PM
I say that because besides the lead singer the guitarist is typically the most popular person in a band.  That is Clarkson and I don't think I could picture this show without him.  Even the specials he does on his own are better than a lot of automotive shows. 

I'm going by instruments.  Clarkson on guitar would be a mess. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Mustangfan2003

If I'm not mistaken Clarkson actually plays the drums. 

Raza

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on December 27, 2010, 09:48:02 PM
If I'm not mistaken Clarkson actually plays the drums. 

Actually yeah, he does love his drum kit.  I totally forgot about that. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

the Teuton

SVT666

I can't find the newest episode of TGUS.  Finalgear.com doesn't have it, History.com doesn't have it, and Streetfire.net doesn't have it.

Raza

Don't know where else to say this...

They changed the song of the penalty bike in the Vietnam special for the DVD release of Top Gear.  In the original airing, it's Born in the USA.  On the DVD, it's the Star Spangled Banner.  And then May references Springsteen later and it makes it look like he thinks that Bruce Springsteen wrote the national anthem. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

L. ed foote

Quote from: Raza  on December 28, 2010, 08:16:19 AM
Don't know where else to say this...

They changed the song of the penalty bike in the Vietnam special for the DVD release of Top Gear.  In the original airing, it's Born in the USA.  On the DVD, it's the Star Spangled Banner.  And then May references Springsteen later and it makes it look like he thinks that Bruce Springsteen wrote the national anthem. 

Seems someone didn't want to pay residuals :lol:
Member, Self Preservation Society

the Teuton

I rather liked the new US episode, but I still liked the Brit special more. This was their best episode so far.

My biggest qualms: Not developing the Stig character more and not having enough time. 45 minutes isn't enough.

hotrodalex

Tanner would have easily won if he hadn't of taken that little detour to find the others. But I see why he did, as it provided a good photo op.

And my dad completely called Ferrara getting pulled over. He's been down there enough to know you'll get caught every time, especially in a bright yellow sports car.

giant_mtb

I thought the episode was pretty "meh."  The epic races they do just don't seem so epic yet.  They definitely need some better music.  TGUK takes the majority of their epic music from movie soundtracks, which I love because the music is always fantastic and I love being able to recognize it and think, "damn! good song choice, sound editors!"  All the TGUS music seems cheesy and home-made on a MIDI keyboard.

Mustangfan2003

I'm interested in seeing Tim Allen in the next episode. 

Vinsanity

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 29, 2010, 09:34:32 AM
I thought the episode was pretty "meh."  The epic races they do just don't seem so epic yet.  They definitely need some better music.  TGUK takes the majority of their epic music from movie soundtracks, which I love because the music is always fantastic and I love being able to recognize it and think, "damn! good song choice, sound editors!"  All the TGUS music seems cheesy and home-made on a MIDI keyboard.

+1. Why mention Miami Vice, but not take the opportunity to use Phil Collins' "In the Air Tonight" with some more dramatic video editing?

TBR

Watching the real TG special. First things first, my pants would have been quite brown after the landing. Second, the airport bit has been stupid so far. It's obviously a US military base, what the hell do they think is going to happen?

the Teuton

They still drove around in Iraq -- something most of us couldn't even fathom doing, even in a "peaceful" zone. I bet most of TG's viewers didn't even know there was a peaceful zone in Iraq.

giant_mtb

TGUK sure does love the "Stardust" soundtrack.

hotrodalex

Quote from: TBR on December 29, 2010, 12:43:19 PM
Watching the real TG special. First things first, my pants would have been quite brown after the landing. Second, the airport bit has been stupid so far. It's obviously a US military base, what the hell do they think is going to happen?

At first I thought they were going to drop the cars out of the plane with a parachute. Then I wondered if they were going to have to drive them off the plane while it was still on the runway. Would have made it more interesting. :lol:

And I think it was a little stupid on purpose, playing on the notion that there is nothing in Iraq but gunfire and roadside bombs.

L. ed foote

Quote from: hotrodalex on December 29, 2010, 09:30:26 AM
Tanner would have easily won if he hadn't of taken that little detour to find the others.

Or if he had allowed the scooter to fall while dismounting.
Member, Self Preservation Society